Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

mewithoutyou - sept 26th

Started by skinnypuppy, Jul 09, 2006, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: Zevaka on Mar 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
they will quietly release great album rather than talking about it everywhere and giving us crap
Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 28, 2009, 03:34 PM
I just cannot compare Catch for Us the Foxes, [A --> B] Life and Brother, Sister. They're just totally different, of totally different but same good quality. I really love how the band evolves, and this album could be just a random album of christian folk (which would not be too unexpected), I'll love it nonetheless. Cause it's f-king mewithoutYou, the best band in the world.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

wither-I

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

The version on purevolume > the version on myspace

lostpilot

Zevaka

i feel something wrong about vocals.
But other aspects are great as usual: structure, music, lyrics...

wither-I

it's definitely  not the same substantial lyrical output. not what we're used to..

lostpilot

why isn't Every Thought A Thought Of You on the tracklist?

1. "Cattail Down"
2. "The Fox, the Crow, & the Cookie"
3. "A Stick, a Carrot, & a String"
4. "Bullet to Binary (Pt. Two)"
5. "Timothy Hay"
6. "The Angel of Death Came to David's Room"
7. "A Fig With a Belly Ache"
8. "Goodbye, I"
9. "The Beetle King on the Coconut Estate"
10. "Every Blade of Grass"
11. "Whatever Goes, Let it Go"

skinnypuppy

that is not the tracklist... track 11 is Allah Allah Allah

I preordered 3 journal+cd bundles and a test print of the vinyl... happy happy...

lostpilot

1.  every thought a Thought of You
   2. the Fox, the Crow, and the Cookie
   3. the Angel of Death came to David's room
   4. goodbye, I !
   5. a Stick, a Carrot & String
   6. bullet to Binary (pt. two)
   7. Timothy hay
   8. Fig with a Bellyache
   9. Cattail Down
  10. the King Beetle on a Coconut Estate
  11. Allah, Allah, Allah

apparently this is the tracklist

wither-I

i really dig the new sog, its nice and chill.. we'll see...

lostpilot

it started catching me last night. slowwwwwwwwwly

defskull

Haha I like it. Almost dance-y at parts.

lostpilot

exactly. and it drags me deeperrrr inside

wither-I

lostpilot

DO NOT READ THIS if you hadn't listened to the album yet.

My personal thoughts from afterthepostrock.com forums.

well I'm through the whole album.
First of all - to all of those that wish for Aaron to scream.. yes, I did always want more songs with screaming, but both 'A to B Life' and 'Catch for Us the Foxes' are full of that, full of heaviness, and I think if the band would repeat themselves in every album.. then what good those albums would be?

I love 'A to B Life' for the organic noisiness of it, screaming, the emotion.
I love 'Catch for Us the Foxes' for the beautiful song structures, guitars, emotions, some screaming, thoughtful lyrics.
I love 'Brother, Sister' for the happier and lighter sound, thoughtful lyrics, song structures and, once again, emotion. And more introspective way of music creation. And some humor, obviously.

To sum up what I mean - they're evolving from a wide open noise unit with unique screaming and music into a warm honest personal band for everyone. That is a good thing. They're maturing as people, Aaron is maturing as a thinker and a writer, losing much of the anxiety of when he was young. I could even describe this album as the most user friendly of mewithoutYou. And they still managed to charm me with the emotion of their depth, only through different ways than the usual - and that is praiseworthy. I, myself, love the bands that represent much more than their typical 'they-play-this-and-this-stereotype'.

As to talk about the songs itself..
first of all - the movement to folk was not unexpected, my expectations were associated with this acoustic sound that they achieved, so I hadn't been let down.

Major standouts?
Obviously, 'The Angel of Death Came to David's Room'. I shattered in emotion at the breakdown, which was naturally unexpected. The best song in the album, I suppose.

You can see songs like 'The Fox, the Crow and the Cookie', 'A Stick, a Carrot and A String', 'Fig with a Bellyache' and 'the King Beetle on a Coconut Estate' as the "spider songs" of the new album. All mostly acoustic, with recurring themes and soundscapes. Summerish acoustic goodness. They're enjoyable in music and also in a storytelling way.

'Fig with a Bellyache' did astonish me in it's own way, I waited for a major breakdown (like in Angel of Death), but did not find it. Yet it still pleasured me well. Maybe even the LACK of the breakdown where I was looking for it made it even better as an experience.

To comment on 'Bullet to Binary (pt. two)'.. First part of the song was really odd and honestly I did not like much, but then the other part kicked in and changed it all.. this song also stood out in the album. Overall the album is not designed in some special way.

Naturally, there are some disappointments. First of all, lyrics seemed more god-centered - I mean, this time Aaron names the gods, straigthly. This, in a way, destroys one of their main traits I love - the possibility of an open and intimate interpretation. Cause I'm an agnostic, but the lyrics are still touching in a personal way.

Then.. some loss of expermentation. To be honest, I think there are a bit too many acoustic guitars here.. I'd like to hear more good old distortion with some reverb as in Catch for Us the Foxes, but this is - once again, my personal feel and struggle for them to revert to what they were - to personally get another 'Catch for Us the Foxes'. Also.. I sense no longing in this album. mewithoutYou - to me personally, was always about longing - personal feelings, and here.. that misty horizon of hope is not apparent here.

But generally the album impressed me - of how the band evolved, how they can use different techniques and ways of expression. And in echo to Zevaka's post - no, I wouldn't say 'goodbye, mewithoutYou'. I'd say 'goodbye, old mewithoutYou'.

First listen - a good go. Now I will wait for the good rip. And I will obviously buy the cd itself. Cause it's goodness - it's mewithoutYou.

bright lights, big city

cool

I was hooked from the opening song. "Every Thought A Thought of You" has been listened to 7 times already.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

yeah, I wanted to mention "Every Thought A Thought of You" as a honorable mention (lol) too, but generally everybody is into it.. dah, well, at least the people that like mewithoutYou are very much into it.

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on Apr 15, 2009, 08:54 PM

Naturally, there are some disappointments. First of all, lyrics seemed more god-centered - I mean, this time Aaron names the gods, straigthly. This, in a way, destroys one of their main traits I love - the possibility of an open and intimate interpretation. Cause I'm an agnostic, but the lyrics are still touching in a personal way.

Then.. some loss of expermentation. To be honest, I think there are a bit too many acoustic guitars here.. I'd like to hear more good old distortion with some reverb as in Catch for Us the Foxes, but this is - once again, my personal feel and struggle for them to revert to what they were - to personally get another 'Catch for Us the Foxes'. Also.. I sense no longing in this album. mewithoutYou - to me personally, was always about longing - personal feelings, and here.. that misty horizon of hope is not apparent here.

But generally the album impressed me - of how the band evolved, how they can use different techniques and ways of expression. And in echo to Zevaka's post - no, I wouldn't say 'goodbye, mewithoutYou'. I'd say 'goodbye, old mewithoutYou'.

First listen - a good go. Now I will wait for the good rip. And I will obviously buy the cd itself. Cause it's goodness - it's mewithoutYou.
you made some really good points man.

i do agree on the disappointments. i definitley do not feel the same tense emotion that i love.

i like having the optimistic energy and vibe, but i do miss the angst ridden hollers and distortion.
they have made a good album that is very different from the previous, but ultimately im not sure i will ever be as into it as the others...

also, the "God" aspect is driven way too deep. the songs seem too "praise-y" and it loses the mystery of striving for God. it lacks the edge. and i agree that im not into this aspect at all. i've always loved mewithoutyou (and still do) for being who they are. if they were not a christian band, they would not have the same impact and passion. but some of the songs honestly sound like church songs for 6 year old kids...

defskull

I'm so anxious for this cd.