Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Pantera

Started by Azwethinkweiz, Jul 30, 2006, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malpractice

no love for The Great Southern Trendkill here i see

to me that is their finest moment. that album is just pure fucking hate recorded to tape. people slam it often because it is maybe even a little too dark even for a pantera record and often has somewhat of a white supermacist edge to it but it is still my favorite

Mascara Snake

Vulgar is definitly my fav, with FBD a close second!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

fireflyry

Quote from: Malpractice on Aug 01, 2006, 02:29 AM
no love for The Great Southern Trendkill here i see

to me that is their finest moment. that album is just pure fucking hate recorded to tape. people slam it often because it is maybe even a little too dark even for a pantera record and often has somewhat of a white supermacist edge to it but it is still my favorite

I love that album.

When they played here for the second time they opened with Suicide Note Part 1 on the PA system and then played Part 2 as the opening track.

Awesome.

Far Beyond Driven would be my favourite album for the diversity and the fact it was one of the first really good heavy metal albums to rate on the New Zealand Top 20 charts which was an amazing feat at the time and really opened the door for the availability of good metal music here, as opposed to imports all the time, and also made New Zealand a realistic place for metal bands to tour.

Classic album.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Azwethinkweiz

Hmm, is Phil a racist? I watched this interview with him and he really came off that way.

Any thoughts?

law

I really have no idea to be honest, but he may have said something which has been blown way out of proportion... a lot of stuff he says has been really exagerrated in the past so who knows.

fireflyry

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Aug 01, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hmm, is Phil a racist? I watched this interview with him and he really came off that way.

Any thoughts?

Nah man, thats been spread around for years.

I remember reading about lots of skinheads being into Pantera because Phil had a shaved head and he's always said thats bullshit.He used to do a speech about metal fans being united regardless of skin colour at every gig they played for years and when they played Auckland he actually asked security to remove a large group of skinheads who were beating up people in the mosh.

He ain't no racist.

Azwethinkweiz

Okay, cool! Thanks for clearing it up ;)

Malpractice

Quote from: fireflyry on Aug 01, 2006, 11:03 AM
Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Aug 01, 2006, 10:59 AM

Any thoughts?

Nah man, thats been spread around for years.

I remember reading about lots of skinheads being into Pantera because Phil had a shaved head and he's always said thats bullshit.He used to do a speech about metal fans being united regardless of skin colour at every gig they played for years and when they played Auckland he actually asked security to remove a large group of skinheads who were beating up people in the mosh.

He ain't no racist.

while i truly believe he isn't racist, i think there was a time where he was pretty confused about what he believed. There was a time where it wouldn't be unusual for him to spout out words like 'nigger' during shows and give seig heil salutes (this was going as recently as the superjoint ritual tours in 2004). He was even known to hand out copies of Resistance which is a white supermacist magazine to fans after shows (although i am not sure if this is 100% true) and having somewhat of an open racist Seth Putnam guest appear on The Great Southern Trendkill didn't exactly help him either. His best friend is black and his wife is jewish though so who really knows what was going on in his head during the hazy years we know as the 90's lol

ltd_viper

Phil shaved his head to shed the 'heavy metal image'

back in the day, every metaller had long hair so like the great Kerry King he started shaving his head.

I think the racist thing came from an interview he gave. he said:
'if a black man stands on stage and says 'Im black and proud' he's regarded as this great person, but if a white guy stands on stage and says 'Im white and proud' he's a racist.'

You have to remember that Phil (and pantera) broke down a lot of barriers.

I personally love the great southern trendkill. they got a lot of shit for not taking the 'metallica road'. They could have released a Vulgar Display part two, but instead released one of the most brutal albums in Far Beyound... toured their assholes off and they never once sold out.

fireflyry

Quote from: Malpractice on Aug 01, 2006, 08:54 PM
His best friend is black and his wife is jewish though so who really knows what was going on in his head during the hazy years we know as the 90's lol

Drugs and black tooth grins....by the truckloads.

ltd_viper

Quote from: fireflyry on Aug 02, 2006, 01:29 AM
Drugs and black tooth grins....by the truckloads.
[/quote]

That there is the truth. Look at Dimebag (RIP), he got really really really messed up. but he never played a bad gig. never missed a note EVER.

that there is skill

Oldnewtype

There is nothing like driving through a town with a population of about 1,000 all southern baptists living 40 years in the past while blaring Far Beyond Driven.

law

This is a whole show, live at London Brixton in 94. It fucking brutal!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5476393816401642329&q=pantera

enjoy!

(A New Level opening is monster!)

Martin

Dig some tunes of them. Mostly though, I think the songs go on to long.
But they definatly rocked the house.

Cool find Law.

yoda on mars

Never listened to them; I love Sabbth's cover though.

law

Quote from: Tuck on Aug 02, 2006, 01:35 PM
Dig some tunes of them. Mostly though, I think the songs go on to long.
But they definatly rocked the house.

Cool find Law.

cheers man!

Jizzlobber

Ah New LEVellll......of CONFiDENce...and poWA!!!

that was fucking awsome. damn they rocked the shit out of everyone.

im glad i watched that coz Pantera sortof got me into metal back in the day to begin with. Vulgar, Driven and Trendkill are heavier than most metal albums to day even!
<

fireflyry

Quote from: law on Aug 02, 2006, 10:56 AM
This is a whole show, live at London Brixton in 94. It fucking brutal!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5476393816401642329&q=pantera

enjoy!

(A New Level opening is monster!)

That brings back a lot of memories.

Jacob

my dad got me into Pantera. he owns Far Beyond Driven.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

tarkil

That's pretty awesome !!!

And :

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.