Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright lights, big city

Well my friend who posted last, you should go see them on this tour. I just got back from seeing Converge, Mastodon, and Dethklok. Hell of a show.
Converge was the usual (awesome) even though this was a much larger venue than I've seen them at. Then Mastodon came on and holy fuck. What a performance. They filmed the show for a future cd/dvd, so keep an eye out for that (Live At Aragon Ballroom, Chicago) on youtube or something because aside from the professional film crew, a lot of people brought recording devices with inside.
But sweet Jesus, I had never seen Mastodon live before, but they blew me away. They played Crack The Skye in its entirety, with a movie playing behind them the whole time. It really enhanced the experience a lot more than I ever could have imagined. Then their encore was another 6 songs or so spanning their entire back catalogue all the way back to Remission. Just an absolutely incredible performance from Mastodon.
This was all before Dethklok hit the stage. And honestly, after Mastodon any band would be a lot worse. It was cool seeing Dethklok just see them live, but there was something lacking from them after witnessing Mastodon master their craft. Gene Hoglan plays some mean drums and I didn't realize Brendon Small did ALL 5 band members' voices on Metalocalypse, as he used the voices all throughout their set.

Oh and if you go see Mastodon, come prepared with a joint or two.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Deft_16_Ones

They are one awesome band, I saw them 2 times and they were great is one of those bands that for me have the old sound and style from the 70s bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath just to name a few.

Oldnewtype

anyone have the song "The Lost Baron" or their cover of "One"? I've been looking for these two songs for a while now.

Deft_16_Ones

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Oct 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
anyone have the song "The Lost Baron" or their cover of "One"? I've been looking for these two songs for a while now.

Here you go man http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWYOP837
Is a 13 Minutes song in 320 KB Enjoy and rock on my friend

Oldnewtype

no not "The Last Baron", i need "The Lost Baron".

I'm actually now realizing theres a few of Mastodon B-Sides I've never heard

Emerald (Thin Lizzy cover)
The Bit (Melvins cover)
One (Three Dog Night cover)
The Lost Baron

Alvar

hm, i think its time for one of my famous collections of rarities.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o2nywmnwwdn

this time including:
emerald
the bit
orion
just got paid
cut you up with a linoleum knife

thats all i got. oh, and i never heard of a mastodon song called "the lost baron". what is that supposed to be exactly?

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

theis

Emerald and Just Got Paid are awesome.

Oldnewtype

awesome thanks.

On the DVD for crack the skye they talk about an older song calledd "The Lost Baron"

Dunno if this has been posted or not but here is an instrumental version of the whole Crack The Skye album.

http://rapidshare.com/files/296495302/CrackTheSkye-Instrumental.rar.html

theis

Sweet, I actually think I'll prefer the instrumental. Not a huge fan of the vocals on Crack the Skye.

bright lights, big city

awesome coincidence! I've been playing the video game Brutal Legend, and it's got both Oblivion and Crack the Skye as instrumental versions in it, and they are badass. I didn't know they had a instrumental version of the album.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Oldnewtype

i love it because i know every single word and i get to sing along by myself

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Does anyone here have the Crack The Skye Deluxe vinyl version? If so, could anyone post some pictures of the package?

bright lights, big city

movie looks pretty crappy, but Jonah Hex's soundtrack had about half a dozen new tracks by Mastodon. so keep your eyes out, it's supposed to be out june 29.
DERP

theis

Been getting into a Mastodon phase again lately.

Forgot about how awesome Remission is.

bright lights, big city

yeah man definitely, been listening to them here and there lately too. i remembered why i put Crack the Skye as one of my top albums of last year.
DERP

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Following the June 18 opening of the feature film "Jonah Hex", Reprise Records will release a six-track EP from MASTODON from the film's original motion picture score "Jonah Hex" on June 29, 2010.

"Jonah Hex" features an original score by Reprise recording artists MASTODON and Oscar-nominated composer Mario Beltrami ("The Hurt Locker", "3:10 to Yuma"). MASTODON was asked to create the score personally by the film's director, Jimmy Hayward, who was inspired by repeated listenings of MASTODON's 2006 album, "Blood Mountain".

"Jimmy called us out of the blue as a fan," bassist Troy Sanders told Paste magazine in an interview. "It was the most beautiful, authentic way to collaborate."

For its first film-scoring experience, MASTODON recorded the tracks for "Jonah Hex" by viewing movie footage and actually composing the score spontaneously on the spot in the studio. This method of experimental and immediate composition proved to be a daring, daunting and ultimately fun way of creating music together over a short period of time. The resulting sessions yielded incredibly exciting results produced in a completely different way than they normally would approach writing and recording for a MASTODON album. Fans will get a chance to hear the four new tracks — "Death March", "Clayton Boys", "Indian Theme" and "Train Assault", with two bonus versions as they become available through iTunes and all other digital outlets.

Based on the legendary character from the comic book series from DC Comics, "Jonah Hex" is an epic action adventure about one man's personal quest for redemption against the canvas of the battle between good and evil. The film stars Academy Award nominee Josh Brolin ("Milk", "No Country For Old Men"), two-time Academy Award nominee John Malkovich ("In the Line of Fire", "Places in the Heart"), Megan Fox ("Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen"), Michael Fassbender ("Inglourious Basterds"), Will Arnett ("Blades of Glory") and Academy Award nominee Michael Shannon ("Revolutionary Road").

Oldnewtype

so glad those Jonah Hex sessions are actually gonna see the light of day.

Got drunk and watched the bonus dvds to Blood Mountain and CTS. Them are some good ole boys.

Oldnewtype

Crazylegs

aqua dementia ending <3

theis

Mastodon's Facebook:

"Hello all, we are currently in the writing process for the next album. lot's of riffs have been collected!!!"

Sweeeet!