Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Atlanta progressive metallers MASTODON have revealed more songtitles that will appear on their new album, "The Hunter", tentatively due in October. The CD is expected to include the following tracks, among others:

* Blasteroids
* The Octopus Has No Friends
* Stargasm
* Curl Of The Burl
* All The Heavy Lifting
* The Sparrow
* The Ruiner

When asked about the sound of MASTODON's forthcoming album, drummer Brann Dailor told the German edition of Metal Hammer magazine, "When you listen to the songs, they don't sound as 'fun' as we perceive them to be, I guess; it's still pretty extremely heavy material." He added, "We had a few songs that were kind of, not left over from 'Crack The Skye', but just stuff that we wanted to be on that album, but that album kind of took on a whole different thing of its own and there were a few stragglers that were super-heavy and crazy that didn't make it, and we finally got to put them on this record. And then we wrote a whole bunch of brand new stuff. There's, like, 14 songs that we recorded. And it's sort all over the place — a lot of different sounds. Some straight-up classic-rock-sounding songs, straight-up death metal-sounding songs and some completely bizarre, weirdo rock songs that we're not really sure what they are, but we love them."

"The Hunter" was recorded at Doppler Studios in Atlanta with producer Mike Elizondo. Drum tracks were previously completed in Los Angeles at the legendary Sound City Studios where NIRVANA's masterwork "Nevermind" was recorded. Songtitles set to appear on the album include "Blasteroids" and "All The Heavy Lifting".

MASTODON is currently in Europe for a summer-long tour that includes all dates on this year's Sonisphere festival as well as the Rock Im Park, Rock Am Ring, Roskilde festivals and more. The band will also play a one-off show at The Gorge in Seattle on July 30 with SOUNDGARDEN, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, and MEAT PUPPETS.

theis

Seeing them live in little over a week at Roskilde Festival.

I'm stoked.

Oldnewtype

Those song titles all sound like HORSE The Band songs.

bright lights, big city

sounds they really had fun with this record. I just hope they continue bringing the awesome riffage they've brought the last couple albums.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

tarkil

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jun 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
sounds they really had fun with this record. I just hope they continue bringing the awesome riffage they've brought in the last couple all their albums.

;)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

BillyNo.9

True. How can you say Blood and Thunder and Mother puncher is not full of awesome riffage? :O

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Beginning tomorrow, June 28, fans can go to this location to download a rare and previously unreleased MASTODON song from the "Crack The Skye" sessions, titled "Deathbound", as part of the ten-week 2011 "Adult Swim Singles Program." The same destination will also offer an amazing exclusive video for the song. This is the only place to see and hear this MASTODON rarity.

MASTODON has revealed more songtitles that will appear on band's new album, "The Hunter", tentatively due in October. The CD is expected to include the following tracks, among others:

* Curl Of The Burl
* Dry Bone Valley
* Blasteroids
* The Octopus Has No Friends
* All The Heavy Lifting
* Stargasm

When asked about the sound of MASTODON's forthcoming album, drummer Brann Dailor told the German edition of Metal Hammer magazine, "When you listen to the songs, they don't sound as 'fun' as we perceive them to be, I guess; it's still pretty extremely heavy material." He added, "We had a few songs that were kind of, not left over from 'Crack The Skye', but just stuff that we wanted to be on that album, but that album kind of took on a whole different thing of its own and there were a few stragglers that were super-heavy and crazy that didn't make it, and we finally got to put them on this record. And then we wrote a whole bunch of brand new stuff. There's, like, 14 songs that we recorded. And it's sort all over the place — a lot of different sounds. Some straight-up classic-rock-sounding songs, straight-up death metal-sounding songs and some completely bizarre, weirdo rock songs that we're not really sure what they are, but we love them."

"The Hunter" was recorded at Doppler Studios in Atlanta with producer Mike Elizondo. Drum tracks were previously completed in Los Angeles at the legendary Sound City Studios where NIRVANA's masterwork "Nevermind" was recorded.

MASTODON is currently in Europe for a summer-long tour that includes all dates on this year's Sonisphere festival as well as the Rock Im Park, Rock Am Ring, Roskilde festivals and more. The band will also play a one-off show at The Gorge in Seattle on July 30 with SOUNDGARDEN, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, and MEAT PUPPETS.

Oldnewtype

theis

Deathbed is awesome.

Saw Mastodon live yesterday at Roskilde Festival and it was fucking insane. They blew me away.

I was worried how their vocals would sound live, but they sounded awesome.

Setlist:

1. Iron Tusk
2. March of the Fire Ants
3. Where Strides the Behemoth
4. Mother Puncher
5. Circle of Cysquatch
6. Aqua Dementia
7. Crack the Skye
8. Ghost of Karelia
9. Sleeping Giant
10. The Czar
11. The Wolf Is Loose
12. Crystal Skull
13. I Am Ahab
14. Seabeast
15. Capillarian Crest
16. Bladecatcher
17. Colony of Birchmen
18. Megalodon
19. Blood and Thunder
20. The Bit (Melvins cover)

Really fucking heavy setlist. Almost a nonstop onslaught.

It surprised me that they didn't play Oblivion and Divinations, though.

Edit: I also saw Kylesa and they were BADASS as well.

Other good live experiences included Iron Maiden and Parkway Drive.

bright lights, big city

haha so it looks like Mastodon played for like 3 hours??
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Haha, they played for like 90 minutes.

They just pummeled through song after song.

My body was so beat afterwards.

ben

That sounds like a hell of a time.

BillyNo.9

Bit of a change

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Your sign should have made the cover LOL !!!

BillyNo.9

My sig represents overcoming adversity and remaining zen while other around you are trippin ballz

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jul 08, 2011, 02:24 AM
My sig represents overcoming adversity and remaining zen while other around you are trippin ballz

I was being funny no need to get all serious.

BillyNo.9

I wasn't being serious at all actually, just look at that boxers face XD

theis

Love the cover.

tarkil

Really not Mastodon-ish... Does anyone know if the cover is from the same artist that usually do their art (Paul Romano) ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

sing blue silver

i don't think paul did this one but i dig it.