Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Mastodon: Dry Bone Valley - live from Brixton

Amazing performance! Fucking hell, this song rules.

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Crazylegs

that cartoon is better than the hunter.

Oldnewtype

I wanna hear this record store day shit.

EDIT: Lucky me, got my wish just a few hours later.

Feist - Black Tounge http://soundcloud.com/feistodon/01-feist-black-tounge-mastodon

Mastodon - A Commotion http://soundcloud.com/feistodon/02-mastodon-a-commotion-feist

Crazylegs

Whatever happened to these guys. If their next record went back to something like the three first ones i would be so happy.

Mastodon - Trilobite

Corleone

I really like the hunter, what's so bad about it?

Jacob

Quote from: Corleone on Nov 03, 2012, 02:51 PM

in my opinion, they stopped sounding like Mastodon and instead started sounding like various rock and metal bands that came before them.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Corleone

Quote from: Jacob on Nov 03, 2012, 02:57 PM

in my opinion, they stopped sounding like Mastodon and instead started sounding like various rock and metal bands that came before them.

I like when bands evolve,  like when Deftones went from ATF to White Pony.

Jacob

Quote from: Corleone on Nov 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Nov 03, 2012, 02:57 PM

I like when bands evolve,  like when Deftones went from ATF to White Pony.

I like that as well, but to me Mastodon rather went in the opposite direction. WP is in my opinion when Deftones found their own sound, while ATF sounds like pretty generic nu-metal. and this is Mastodon's ATF.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Crazylegs

They lost their edge.  The Hunter is just plain boring. You can still hear the mastodon sound, but it just feels so generic and bland. "It's just the curl of the burl, it's just the way of the world", come on! Really!

xToxin

Disagree, I also listen to bands like Eyehategod Down and Baroness and such, and the hunter reminds me of that so i like it. My favorite song by them is Iron Tusk though From the Leviathan album, My god that song is awesome. That riff.. is just punishing.

Crazylegs

This may be an opinion i don't share with many, but i didn't like baroness' last effort that much either.

x Rx King x

Quote from: Crazylegs on Nov 03, 2012, 05:30 PM
This may be an opinion i don't share with many, but i didn't like baroness' last effort that much either.

:-[ I loved it...

bright lights, big city

yeah Yellow and Green is one of my faves of 2012. And I have nothing against The Hunter either. It was what it was. It wasn't the usual Mastodon of old, but it was still enjoyable to me. Bands gotta evolve somewhat, even if some old fans don't like it.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

xToxin

I been listening to the new Torche record it's really good and my favorite of that style.

Corleone

Quote from: xToxin on Nov 03, 2012, 09:47 PM
I been listening to the new Torche record it's really good and my favorite of that style.

That album is awesome.

sing blue silver

I was into The Hunter when it came out but I rarely, if ever, listen to it anymore. It's sad. I still love Mastodon and it's a good record but it didn't blow me away by any means. And honestly, I hate The Creature Lives. But Blasteroid and Dry Bone Valley are great songs.

thenoiboi

i think the hunter is a GREAT album, honestly. the flow of it is fantastic. great instrumentation. varied enough sonically to not be boring, but still feels like a really cohesive piece of work.

Quote from: Corleone on Nov 04, 2012, 12:55 AM

That album is awesome.

double agreed.
we could be two straight lines in a crooked world.

x Rx King x

Quote from: thenoiboi on Nov 05, 2012, 12:08 AM
i think the hunter is a GREAT album, honestly. the flow of it is fantastic. great instrumentation. varied enough sonically to not be boring, but still feels like a really cohesive piece of work.

Quote from: Corleone on Nov 04, 2012, 12:55 AM

That album is awesome.

double agreed.

I have Harmonicraft on clear, CLEAR vinyl. came with a lollipop slipmat too. Awesome!!!

SquealLikeaPig

I really like the direction Mastodon has gone.  I wasn't big into their early albums but Crack the Skye was a masterpiece.  The Hunter was pretty good too as well as Blood Mountain.  When those guys take time to make a record, it comes out brilliant.  Their drummer is a beast.