Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Soundgarden

Started by Jacob, May 06, 2007, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zevaka

now i'm listening to early Soundgarden albums, comparing it... Soundgarden, FNM, Fugazi, maybe Icon Moss and dozens of others late 80s/early90s bands are based on the same influences. I take my words back

theshadeisatool

I think its terribly difficult to pin down FNM. If its worth any comparison it would be to say that Soundgarden is somewhat more straightfoward than FNM.

Indeed in terms of guitar sound and influence (like Zevaka says) you could draw some parallels. I still see much more of a thrash strain running through FNM than Soundgarden though.

theis

Quote from: samson simpson on Dec 29, 2007, 08:37 PM
bitches brew was a great recording.

yup.

i like your sig.

Jacob

Quote from: theshadeisatool on Dec 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
I think its terribly difficult to pin down FNM. If its worth any comparison it would be to say that Soundgarden is somewhat more straightfoward than FNM.

Indeed in terms of guitar sound and influence (like Zevaka says) you could draw some parallels. I still see much more of a thrash strain running through FNM than Soundgarden though.

that's what I said. Soundgarden's guitar work is more in style with Sabbath and Zeppelin, while FNM's is a lot more 80's metal. Jim Martin was pretty clear with Metallica being his biggest influence.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theshadeisatool

I love some of the thrashier stuff FNM did (although it was more comic book-ish than Metallica and the others) like Surprise! You're Dead.

Jacob

Quote from: theshadeisatool on Dec 30, 2007, 12:30 AM
I love some of the thrashier stuff FNM did (although it was more comic book-ish than Metallica and the others) like Surprise! You're Dead.

yeah, when they got heavy you always knew it was gonna be good. it'd be interesting to know how much of it was tongue-in-cheek or maybe straight out parody though. I mean, Jim was always a metal head, and we know that Patton likes heavy stuff deep down inside. but something tells me it was just for laughs some of the time...

theshadeisatool

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 30, 2007, 12:39 AM

yeah, when they got heavy you always knew it was gonna be good. it'd be interesting to know how much of it was tongue-in-cheek or maybe straight out parody though. I mean, Jim was always a metal head, and we know that Patton likes heavy stuff deep down inside. but something tells me it was just for laughs some of the time...

Yeah I reckon, they never liked to overdo a genre. Some heavy songs like Jizzlobber and Malpractice seem heartfelt though.

Jacob

I like how Malpractice gives you a taste of what Patton would later do with other projects.

theshadeisatool

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 30, 2007, 01:04 AM
I like how Malpractice gives you a taste of what Patton would later do with other projects.

Definitely! What with the weird vocals when he says "applause, applause, applause". Sorry for taking this topic way off on a tangent btw.

theis

Badmotorfinger is such a perfect album. Absolutely flawless.

One kickass song after the other.

Damn, Cornell used to be so fucking badass. 

goldpony

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Apr 03, 2008, 08:27 PM
Badmotorfinger is such a perfect album. Absolutely flawless.

One kickass song after the other.

Damn, Cornell used to be so fucking badass. 

no, cornell was always a puss. its the band that was awesome.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

nah man. Cornell was fucking sick back then.

just check some of their live vids for proof.

Jacob

yeah, he was fucking awesome. he's lost his greatness now unfortunately.

but he never was anything without the rest of the band backing him up anyways. Kim Thayil's guitars and Matt Cameron's drums gave them as much a unique sound as Chris' voice.

ben

i hear that the guitarist with the long hair never leaves his dungeon of an apartment.  as tom waits once said, "whats he doing in there?"

theis

"he's building something".

Nebontha

For the song "Room A Thousand Years Wide" it sounds like Cornell sings "I walk in the corpse of heroin...", but the lyrics I've looked up claim it's "He walks in the cold sun and wind" which is bullshit because he clearly says "I" not "he".  But am I the only one that hears him sing "I walk in the corpse of heroin..."???
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

Battle-Axe

Man I love Soundgarden. I only have Superunknown but my boss has shit loads of their stuff on his iPod which we've always got on at work :]

This band is one of the reasons I wish I was like 10 years older; I missed out on the chance of seeing so many good bands such as Soundgarden, Faith No More, Alice In Chains [with Layne] and Pantera etc.

tarkil

Quote from: Battle-Axe on Apr 16, 2008, 11:33 PM
This band is one of the reasons I wish I was like 10 years older; I missed out on the chance of seeing so many good bands such as Soundgarden, Faith No More, Alice In Chains [with Layne] and Pantera etc.

My thoughts exactly...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Jacob

same here. late 80's, early 90's as well as 60's-70's. someone invent a a fucking time machine already.

snw777

soundgarden......
great, one of the most importants bands of the history of music.