woke up depressed
I left for work
you have a good day, it's not your fault
I know it hurts

remember, I love you
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

zee deveel 17

great band.  superunknown and down on the upside are very good cds.  chris cornell has one of the greatest voices ever.

Crazylegs

Quote from: zee deveel 17 on May 06, 2007, 01:35 AM
chris cornell has one of the greatest voices ever.

i disagree, still he was great in soundgarden.

Jacob

he had one of the greatest voices back in the early years of Soundgarden. but he kinda lost it. he's not bad now, not at all.

this is how I rank their albums:

1. Louder Than Love
2. Badmotorfinger
3. Superunknown
4. Down On The Upside
5. Screaming Life/Fopp
6. Ultramega OK

while I do love the later hits like Black Hole Sun and Blow Up The Outside World, their older songs are fucking amazing. and brutal. Jesus Christ Pose, Hands All Over, I Awake, Loud Love, Searching With My Good Eye Closed, Slaves & Bulldozers.... all of them beat the crap out of the later stuff.

theshadeisatool

a five minute clip of Nothing To Say from Screaming Life/Fopp was on Encarta 95 and I would have only been 8 then, always been intrigued then hooked since. The epitome of bands at that time, would be interesting to see what a release would sound like by them these days.

zee deveel 17

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 06, 2007, 01:41 AM
Quote from: zee deveel 17 on May 06, 2007, 01:35 AM
chris cornell has one of the greatest voices ever.

i disagree, still he was great in soundgarden.

he certainly has tailed off in recent years but i still think his voice is unbelieveable.  no one sounds like that.

ignore the fashion

superunknown was the shit. i loved that cd back in the day

Crazylegs

"Rusty cage", "Blow up the outside world", and "pretty noose" are some of my favourite songs.

theshadeisatool

I like that Led-Zep/Black Sabbath-esque 70s hard rock sound they did combined with the alternative 90s aesthetic, very good esp on Badmotorfinger

theshadeisatool

By the way does anyone think the acoustic opening riff to Been A While by Staind sounds suspiciously like it's trying to rip-off the one from Black Hole Sun from 8 years earlier? ...no shit.

Mascara Snake

superunknown is definitely my fav! i love badmotorfinger to although i wish it could be remastered or somethin to make the overall sound on it better!!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

theis

i enjoy badmotorfinger a lot more than superunknown.

theshadeisatool

Ditto, love that classic rock sound mixed with grunge groove...

Zevaka

well, just in order to know the subject, i downloaded their Superunknown. WEll, really, really good band. I know you won't love these words, but they are influenced (in good way) by FNM a lot. Also reminded me of Fugazi.

Lyrics are pretty cool, i must say. So, thanks for opening new cool band for me, these days it doesn't happen often, really.

theis

damn, you've never heard soundgarden before now? crazy man.

get "badmotorfinger" next.

Jacob

Quote from: Zevaka on Dec 29, 2007, 07:00 AM
well, just in order to know the subject, i downloaded their Superunknown. WEll, really, really good band. I know you won't love these words, but they are influenced (in good way) by FNM a lot.

haha, no. they're not.

listen to their older albums and you'll see that those influences were there before FNM got big.

theshadeisatool

Quote from: aenemic on Dec 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
well, just in order to know the subject, i downloaded their Superunknown. WEll, really, really good band. I know you won't love these words, but they are influenced (in good way) by FNM a lot.

haha, no. they're not.

listen to their older albums and you'll see that those influences were there before FNM got big.

exactly that whole Seattle scene grew up totally differently (albeit at a similar time) to most of what was going on in California. I'd say FNM are a lot more influenced by hardcore and thrash than Soundgarden was. Ultramega OK and Screaming Life/Fopp-era indeed shows they were taking that direction of grunge, etc.

Jacob

Quote from: theshadeisatool on Dec 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
Quote from: aenemic on Dec 29, 2007, 02:05 PM

haha, no. they're not.

exactly that whole Seattle scene grew up totally differently (albeit at a similar time) to most of what was going on in California. I'd say FNM are a lot more influenced by hardcore and thrash than Soundgarden was. Ultramega OK and Screaming Life/Fopp-era indeed shows they were taking that direction of grunge, etc.

yeah, you got it right.

grunge was majorly influenced by the big arena rockers of the 60's-70's and early metal, with some country rock thrown in. one little bit of the grunge scene was deeply rooted in punk as well. this is where Nirvana and Mudhoney belong.

early Faith No More were based on punk, hip-hop and 80's metal. then Patton came along and just threw in all sorts of other influences into the mixture.

if anything, Faith No More's later sound was influenced by grunge rather than the other way around.

theis

yea i agree with aenemic.

samson simpson

bitches brew was a great recording.