Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones facebook/twitter/myspace/website updates.

Started by beLIEve, May 05, 2009, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Quote from: therealdaebat on Sep 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote from: TheShade1989 on Sep 13, 2012, 03:01 AM
I genuinely laughed at the part implying that DE is heavier than the self-titled album.

am I the only person who agrees?

You mean you agree that DE is heavier than S/T? No song on DE is as heavy as WGTB. None. Nada. Zip.

therealdaebat

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quote from: therealdaebat on Sep 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote from: TheShade1989 on Sep 13, 2012, 03:01 AM
I genuinely laughed at the part implying that DE is heavier than the self-titled album.

am I the only person who agrees?

You mean you agree that DE is heavier than S/T? No song on DE is as heavy as WGTB. None. Nada. Zip.

One song ≠ Album

I guess looking at each song one could argue that both albums start off heavy but I just get the general feel that DE was heavier.  Never looked at S/T as a heavy album but more as a mix of Deftones sounds.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

Inkblades

Hexagram, Needles & Pins, WGTB and the end of Bloody Cape are heavier songs than mostly everything on DE. Maybe the end of Royal and parts of Prince can compete if they were like that for the whole songs. S/T also has a much darker sound, while DE is much more happier.

I just feel like they got it wrong. WP and SNW are the albums with the dreamier soundscapes. Alright, S/T has dreamy moments (Minerva, Lucky You, Anniversary), but the rest of the album? I'm not so sure.

TheShade1989

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hexagram, Needles & Pins, WGTB and the end of Bloody Cape are heavier songs than mostly everything on DE. Maybe the end of Royal and parts of Prince can compete if they were like that for the whole songs. S/T also has a much darker sound, while DE is much more happier.

I just feel like they got it wrong. WP and SNW are the albums with the dreamier soundscapes. Alright, S/T has dreamy moments (Minerva, Lucky You, Anniversary), but the rest of the album? I'm not so sure.

I wouldnt consider anything on ST to be dreamy, to be honest. This Place Is Death has the dreamy vibe moreso than any of their other songs, to me at least. I guess it depends on everyone's definition, but we can all agree that, generally, DE is a more optimistic-sounding, softer album than ST.

therealdaebat

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Sep 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 13, 2012, 04:17 PM

I wouldnt consider anything on ST to be dreamy, to be honest. This Place Is Death has the dreamy vibe moreso than any of their other songs, to me at least. I guess it depends on everyone's definition, but we can all agree that, generally, DE is a more optimistic-sounding, softer album than ST.

No, I don't agree that it is a softer album than S/T but opinions are opinions and I am fine with others not agreeing with me :)
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

M1GHTY M4VS

You can't just use one Song to describe Deftones, not even in their heavyness but still S/T is undoubtfully heavier in terms of vocals and production. DE has a lot of mellow songs and the added fx from frank compensate the breath and riff changes. DE was much more like WP which is nowhere near deftones heaviest albums. sure you have some heavy songs on any album but you should look at it as a whole. DE has songs like beauty school, sextape and TPID which are as mellow as digital bath and change mostly. S/T has anniversary and moana as rather mellow songs. But even Minerva would be heavier because of the smack stef had on with his guitar.

Vocal comparisons are cleary out of their own with the heavy stuff, WGTB, Hexagram and Bloody Cape are only comparable to Rocket Skates if you see. Abe's drumwork is significantly different between the albums. He made it fearsome for some of the rather calm songs like Good Morning Beautiful and Battle-Axe because of the surprise when they come.

DE has songs like that are more predictable or let me describe it as not as rapid with the guitar speeding in some places, I wouldn't say they aren't heavy but differently placed in those terms. See a lot of guys here acknowledge the same setlist, not only that but they had to make changes to the oldies because the DE songs were predictable just as they go the same time every time, S/T are fillins rather than DE's run down the setlist.

They've been touring for 2 years, S/T's support was much shorter and makes them a lot rare. KNY will give them a fresh breath nontheless so we're stoked.

I'm with Inkblade on the S/T hvy DE thing, production played a role aswell.

therealdaebat

IMO heavy songs on DE:

Diamond Eyes, Royal, CMND/CTRL, You've Seen The Butcher (ish), Prince, Rocket Skates, Risk (ish), This Place is Death (ish)

IMO heavy songs on S/T:

Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Minerva (ish), Good Morning Beautiful (ish), Deathblow (ish), WGTB, Battle-axe (ish), Bloody Cape

more heavy-ish on S/T vs DE in my opinion.

If anything I think we should agree that they are very comparable in heaviness.
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

cvthedrv

bewareofrats

I don't think it's a far stretch to compare the music of S/T and DE in terms of heaviness, but between the music and the vocals, S/T is way heavier.  It is significantly more aggressive.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Inkblades

It's not too much of a stretch. There are heavy moments on every Deftones album, after all. It's just that article I posted made it sound like S/T wasn't heavy at all.

bewareofrats

Yeah that part was ridiculous.  Thanks for posting it by the way, it was an interesting read.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

RollerDerby

"Carve your niche."

RollerDerby

"Carve your niche."

deftoolsys07

Quote from: rumors on Sep 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
Quote from: iceache on Sep 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
Quote from: RollerDerby on Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
Quote from: luisch on Sep 14, 2012, 03:37 AM

Who is the photographer?

I would assume frank Maddocks.

no no no

Alright rumors, can you let us know if you're going to share this new track with us today, before it's supposed debut next week? That would be awesome... Just sayin...
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

pony_01

pony_01

sing blue silver

It's an animals as leaders shirt.

Oddly enough though I seem to recall an interview with chi talking about the band members political views or something and he mentioned Stephen was a republican supporter and how odd it was with his copious pot smoking.