Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Eros

Started by Vesanic, Mar 23, 2010, 01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Well, that new Kerrang article about Chi really makes it sound like Chino doesn't want to release Eros. Not sure what to think. Only time will tell, I guess.

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

cvthedrv

DeftonesNZ

I don't think Terry was even that great when it came to pre recording stuff, he basically just let them fuck around for a couple of years until they had stuff they were ready to record and then he'd come in, Terry's done great work with Deftones but I think it was more because they were left to their own devices so ideas got fleshed out more naturally not Terry coming up with stuff.

nicklav

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 03, 2013, 02:24 AM
I don't think Terry was even that great when it came to pre recording stuff, he basically just let them fuck around for a couple of years until they had stuff they were ready to record and then he'd come in, Terry's done great work with Deftones but I think it was more because they were left to their own devices so ideas got fleshed out more naturally not Terry coming up with stuff.

Maybe that's what him so great, letting the band flesh out their ideas and then capturing the best parts. I much prefer his records over Nick's.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I lean towards his aswell but I don't think it's because of him, I think it's because all the stuff they were going through personally back then made the music raw and emotional.

nicklav

That's a good point.

DeftonesNZ

It'll be interesting to see if they make a darker record with Nick next time for some reason I think this Chi thing is going to produce some rawer music.

sing blue silver

I prefer Terry over Nick for various reasons.
Terry let the band take their time, work at their own pace and flesh the songs out the way they wanted them. It feels like Nick gets a bit over involved and shapes how the band views their songwriting too much. The band calls it a "good work ethic" and much more "productive", I call it faster and a bit less thought out.
Also Terry got guitar and drum tones a million times better sounding than Nick. Guitars sounded HUGE, vocals had effects but didn't rely on them so heavily, drums were thick with a nice snappy snare and the way he mic'd the kit seemed to accentuate Abe's hard hitting. Also he kept Frank more subtle in the mix and created soundscapes instead of a synth player. Also Chi was actually in the mix where I find Nick keeps Sergio a bit low a lot of the time.
That's just how I feel. Terry fit the bands sound and helped them sound unique. Not like "rock radio" Deftones who can meet a deadline but leave some things to be desired.

Cullision

How is the relationship with Terry Date now? They are still friends right?

Hank

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 03, 2013, 04:49 AM
I prefer Terry over Nick for various reasons.
Terry let the band take their time, work at their own pace and flesh the songs out the way they wanted them. It feels like Nick gets a bit over involved and shapes how the band views their songwriting too much. The band calls it a "good work ethic" and much more "productive", I call it faster and a bit less thought out.
Also Terry got guitar and drum tones a million times better sounding than Nick. Guitars sounded HUGE, vocals had effects but didn't rely on them so heavily, drums were thick with a nice snappy snare and the way he mic'd the kit seemed to accentuate Abe's hard hitting. Also he kept Frank more subtle in the mix and created soundscapes instead of a synth player. Also Chi was actually in the mix where I find Nick keeps Sergio a bit low a lot of the time.
That's just how I feel. Terry fit the bands sound and helped them sound unique. Not like "rock radio" Deftones who can meet a deadline but leave some things to be desired.

Great points. Although I wouldn't say Rick keeps Sergio "low" a lot of the time . Sergio really shines on KNY( the closer is sick and he really stands out throughout the whole album) and most of the songs on DE.

I do prefer the sound Terry helped them make on the albums he worked on.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah he definitely records them better, but I would like to know if Nick actually changes songs or whether he gets them to the same point they would of eventually got to themselves faster, I personally feel the result would be the same with Terry, Nick seems to get blamed for making them make softer music but really it was the effect of Chi's accident that made them be more positive they have all said it felt stupid complaining about stuff when Chi wasn't able to do the stuff they take for granted, "rock radio" is just a term your using because it's more positive, the musicianship is still there the guitar playing itself has stepped up a whole lot since DE. lyrically and sonically it's better than any real made for radio songs. It's hard to explain but I think the reason people call this commercial is because it's a happier record and it's hard to seem sincere when singing happy stuff it's not like angry music where you just yell or sad music where you sing quietly and if you're not doing that people especially metal fans seem to think it's insincere or commercial.

Hank

I agree.

I highly doubt Nick changes anything as far as the way they want their work to sound.

If I recall Chino had problems with Bob Ezrin because of a situation that was maybe like that.

DeftonesNZ

They talked about the Bob thing recently and it was mostly just the fact they did things completely different to him, basically Bob was clinical and expected everyone to come and work like a 9-5 job because he is used to running a tight ship, he was shocked at how Chino didn't come in with lyrics he basically expected to them to sit there and write on cue rather than the more natural way they flesh out ideas where they just hang out and freestyle jam, they also said he was an amazing musician and that he could pick up any of their instruments and play it better than them, because of this and his musical knowledge he could write almost systematically and just didn't get how the guys would just sort of feel stuff out to write a song.

Electron§

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 03, 2013, 05:56 AM
They talked about the Bob thing recently and it was mostly just the fact they did things completely different to him, basically Bob was clinical and expected everyone to come and work like a 9-5 job because he is used to running a tight ship, he was shocked at how Chino didn't come in with lyrics he basically expected to them to sit there and write on cue rather than the more natural way they flesh out ideas where they just hang out and freestyle jam, they also said he was an amazing musician and that he could pick up any of their instruments and play it better than them, because of this and his musical knowledge he could write almost systematically and just didn't get how the guys would just sort of feel stuff out to write a song.

This sounds familiar but idk where I heard it.

Source?

DeftonesNZ

I can't exactly but it was fairly recent maybe that one from DE era that was only published the other day?

Inkblades

"I truly believe this album to be well worth the wait and appreciate all your support and kind loyalty." - Chi on Eros

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1589683/gojira-flesh-out-new-lp-metal-file.jhtml

luisch

Quote from: Inkblades on May 08, 2013, 07:42 AM
"I truly believe this album to be well worth the wait and appreciate all your support and kind loyalty." - Chi on Eros

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1589683/gojira-flesh-out-new-lp-metal-file.jhtml

:(
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know