Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jciraheta

sooniletugo

http://imgur.com/a/qB4Sn

Chino interview from MyRock magazine. Sorry for the quality, hope it's at least readable if you zoom in. Start from the bottom, and the magazine's short review of the album is in there too. My French is limited but I did my best to translate to English, took me a few hours so enjoy, anyone can correct me if they want.

Chino, is this the first time you have come to Paris since the Bataclan attacks?
Yes, and I am very happy to be back here. Very touched too, because my previous trip ended with infinite sadness. As you know, we had to give three concerts at the Bataclan, the day after the attack. Some of us were also at the concert with Eagles Of Death Metal, but fortunately they left before the first shots. We have all been shocked and we think Paris needs time to heal its wounds. For this reason we canceled our tour. We have also not played live since. But we will come back, I promise. There is already the Download Festival concert, but we will also schedule other things, probably in September. We have so many wonderful memories here, i want more than ever to maintain this relation with Paris and Parisians.

Yes, we remember the photos you posted on social networks when you last came with the Catacombs, the Eiffel Tower ... A real tourist!
Haha, that's true. Your country has a long history, it fascinates me. Whenever I am in Europe, I realise in some way America is young. When I travel here, I want to see the wealth of your heritage, I go to museums, I wander in the small streets, I wander in the popular areas... The last time I also visited The Palace of Versailles. I spent a whole day, to examine all the paintings and woodwork. The hardest thing was to slalom between those damned selfie sticks. It was very weird, instead of looking at the works, the tourists take the stage and take photos. Me, I haven't taken any pictures. I just stood there, soaking up the place and registering all the images in my head. This is also something I do not understand in the world of today. Instead of living the experience thoroughly, people prefer to do that through their phone.

This has unfortunately become a norm, especially in concert ...
Everyone wants their photo memories. But a picture can never replace the experience of living... I am forty-two years old, I am a generation that has not grown up with a phone in the palm of the hand. I realize now that it was a real chance to fully experience things firsthand. I understand the desire to immortalize a concert with a photo, but just one. Otherwise, open your eyes and let yourself be carried away by the moment. In ten years, when you remember that time, you will have many other details that will rise to the surface, like the smells, the atmosphere, the sounds ... All that a photo can't reproduce! This is also something that I like about music. When I listen to the music from my adolescence, 80's stuff like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode ... there are all the memories of the era coming back to me instantly in my mind, as if I was there again.

What has inspired the album title "Gore"?
It is one of those words that are overwhelmed by their meaning. It is, in a way, a provocative word that triggers certain images. It has almost become a vulgarity. But at the same time, I found it interesting to play with and to bring out some form of beauty. It's a process that I discovered by way of The Smiths, with the song "Paint A Vulgar Picture". Not that it is my favorite track, but I have always been fascinated by the way in which Morrissey succeeded in changing the meaning of the word "vulgar" to give it an almost tender side. The idea was also to superimpose the brutality of "Gore" with the beauty of the artwork, which represents flamingos in flight. The colours are very elegant, with pink, purple, violet, gray...

Did you approach writing in a different way for this record?
Oh yes! Before, we set a goal defined in time, something like "we have three months to make the album." This time, we decided to take our time, let the songs ripen and not to rush ourselves. This album is much more thought through, we took care to dwell on each detail. We all met together in a small studio, from 12:00 to 18:00, for ten days. Then everyone went home, because we all live in different cities now. We stood back for a few weeks, and then we would meet for another session of ten days... And we continue like that until it is completed, which has taken a year and a half! But it was worth it, because we have slowly built a different universe for each song. There are a lot of contrasts on this album.

Where has it been recorded?
Music in Los Angeles, but I did the vocals not very far from home, in a small studio lost in the mountains of Oregon.

You don't live in Los Angeles anymore?
No, I moved from there three years ago. I live in the countryside now. I changed, I don't like to be in L.A. anymore, I feel alone. I'm in the middle of the mountains, it's so soothing. I have become very sensitive to nature. I always had this futuristic vision of me, old single man who lives in a shack in the woods. I think this is beginning to materialize (laughs). You can not imagine how much I'm not the same man. At the beginning of Deftones, I was kind of insomniac, linking the sleepless nights and partying overnight. Today I wake up early in the morning, I go to breathe fresh air, I am wandering in nature... I do not regret anything, but now I am a happy man. And at peace.

It is felt on the album. For while it is undeniably heavy, with intense moments of tension, it soars from one end to the other with a sense of quietude, something positive.
Exactly. I think it faithfully reflects who we are today, in our respective lives. We obviously draw our strength in the ambient aggressiveness, because we are sensitive to what is happening in the world but, at the same time we try to move towards the light, to keep a glimmer of hope. And that's really what emerges from this album. There's beauty inside. The music has, like life, a succession of emotions, ups and downs. And because right now we are doing well in our shoes, this shows on the album. And then, you know, we very quickly realized that we would never be the most technical musicians in the world. So to counterbalance this, we stake everything on the emotions.

What are the themes that you approach on this record?
Nothing concrete. The more time passes, the more I see music as an abstract art. It is a way to transport me, to escape myself, to visit unknown lands. I have no story to tell, I use the words as if they were colors. It's very unconscious, very visual too. And sometimes, I enjoy a red herring. When the themes seem too personal, too easy to understand, in these cases I try to make them more blurred, the meanings more blurred.

On "Acid Hologram", you seem to have fun with the rapid advances and flashbacks.
It was an unconventional way and very challenging to approach writing. It's about the feeling of being totally disconnected sometimes from reality and moving on a different path from the rest of the world. This is probably my favourite song on the album. The psyche is a great thing. And, you know what, this track was composed by Sergio.

Sergio has managed to make his mark?
Yes, he's a great guy. He did a great job on "Diamond Eyes", but he was still shy. In retrospect, I am well aware that the situation was hard to manage for him. To replace someone who is in a coma, without really being fully part of the group... It was delicate, he didn't really dare to affirm himself. It took him time. But now he is really part of us, he brings us a lot.

On the excellent "Phantom Bride", you can hear a guitar solo. This is a first for Deftones!
Yes. The song had been completed, but I found it was missing something. I sent it to Jerry Cantrell, asking him if he felt like playing the solo. It's something we have never done before. Already because I don't know how to play, and also because Stephen does not like it too much. Jerry, who is a very good friend and a great musician, came into the studio and he recorded it in minutes. I think it is one of the highlights of the album, it brings a new dynamic to our music, just as Maynard James Keenan had done on "Passenger" in the era of "White Pony".

Speaking of Jerry Cantrell, it is fun to see how Alice In Chains and Deftones have this same tendency to challenge labels. Alice In Chains has nothing to do with the grunge of its beginnings, like Deftones has nothing to do with nu metal.
It's very interesting what you say. I never thought about it, but it explains why I have always felt connected with the music of Alice In Chains. They have managed to build their own identity, and I think that's what we managed to do. I understand why we were classed as a nu metal group, in our beginnings. There were similarities. But we have always fought to distinguish ourselves and distance ourselves, not just from nu metal, but from all other genres. So much so that today there is no other group like Deftones. Just as there is no other Alice In Chains. This is our greatest success.

In the past, you talked about your interest in the dream pop of the 80's, and more particularly of Cocteau Twins. It is an influence that is felt in the first song, "Prayers/Triangles", with guitar reverberations that rest perfectly on your vocals.
I believe this group will influence me for eternity (laughs). When it is repeated and I hear a note full of guitar reverb, I scream "yes, that is it, we have a trick!" (laughs). Each time, this kind of sound reminds me of my adolescence. Today, with my guitair I use an effects pedal Boss Dimension C, which was precisely that used by the Cocteau Twins and all other groups of the time.

And then there's "Hearts/Wires", certainly the most ambitious song on the album. You had already juggled dark, trippy atmospheres, but here it is almost Pink Floyd!
Oh I love this song! This is one of the first songs we worked on for this record. It has a particular flavor, very 70's, somewhere between Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac. It was not easy to work on this piece, especially because Stephen always hated it. I remember when we started working on it, the songs were rotated again and again, and Stephen put himself in a corner, crossing his arms. I said: "Stephen, can you come play with us please?". And he remained sulking like a spoiled child, he kept: "I don't like it, I don't like it at all." And I'd say, "Trust me, in a few months you will be sitting in the mix room, with the headphones on, and tell me how this song is great." And you know what? This is exactly what happened (laughs). He can be very stubborn, and sometimes can really clash with us. But it has always been the case, that's why there are these towering contrasts in our music. The worst part was at the time of "White Pony". It comes to hating everything that is proposed to one another. But rather than seek to annihilate the adverse ideas, we always try to ensure that we absorb them. We are like two brothers, we can fight fiercely, but we always ended up reconciling.

Even if Chino Moreno is busy with Deftones, he does not forget his other projects. He gives us some trails:
About Crosses, the guys are in the process of writing new songs as we speak. This project is all about fun and I hope we can seriously reactivate all this next year. As for Team Sleep, we have many, many, many songs. We even have enough to release an album, I just need to find the time to record the vocals.

Album review:

In counterpoint to "Diamond Eyes", which played immediately the front of the card, Deftones exposes all its melodic verve here. From the start of the album, "Prayers / Triangles" casts its soft dream pop reverberations, perfectly keyed to the singing of Chino. And even when he writes in the red, the singer does here with more contained resentment, less visceral. Rather than shout from one end to the other, he plays with effects like so many contrasts (the schizophrenic "Geometric Headress"). Above all, "Gore" confirms all the progressive talent of the Californians, the best when it comes to building atmopheres. You'd swear you hear Pink Floyd on the orbital "Hearts And Wires" or some post-rock resurgences arise in the guitar layers of "Rubicon". On the aerial "Phantom Bride", the band even allows guest Jerry Cantrell to hit a solo, a first in the history of the group! Such is "Gore": Deftones at their most raw, Deftones at their most beautiful.
Thomas Mafrouche
18.5 / 20

ANattyRat

Quote from: sooniletugo on Mar 16, 2016, 03:38 AM

Chino interview from MyRock magazine. Sorry for the quality, hope it's at least readable if you zoom in. Start from the bottom, and the magazine's short review of the album is in there too. My French is limited but I did my best to translate to English, took me a few hours so enjoy, anyone can correct me if they want.

Thanks for the translation, man, a lot of awesome info :)

chuckles

Quote from: sooniletugo on Mar 16, 2016, 03:38 AM

Chino, is this the first time you have come to Paris since the Bataclan attacks?
Yes, and I am very happy to be back here. Very touched too, because my previous trip ended with infinite sadness. As you know, we had to give three concerts at the Bataclan, the day after the attack. Some of us were also at the concert with Eagles Of Death Metal, but fortunately they left before the first shots. We have all been shocked and we think Paris needs time to heal its wounds. For this reason we canceled our tour. We have also not played live since. But we will come back, I promise. There is already the Download Festival concert, but we will also schedule other things, probably in September. We have so many wonderful memories here, i want more than ever to maintain this relation with Paris and Parisians.

Yes, we remember the photos you posted on social networks when you last came with the Catacombs, the Eiffel Tower ... A real tourist!
Haha, that's true. Your country has a long history, it fascinates me. Whenever I am in Europe, I realise in some way America is young. When I travel here, I want to see the wealth of your heritage, I go to museums, I wander in the small streets, I wander in the popular areas... The last time I also visited The Palace of Versailles. I spent a whole day, to examine all the paintings and woodwork. The hardest thing was to slalom between those damned selfie sticks. It was very weird, instead of looking at the works, the tourists take the stage and take photos. Me, I haven't taken any pictures. I just stood there, soaking up the place and registering all the images in my head. This is also something I do not understand in the world of today. Instead of living the experience thoroughly, people prefer to do that through their phone.

This has unfortunately become a norm, especially in concert ...
Everyone wants their photo memories. But a picture can never replace the experience of living... I am forty-two years old, I am a generation that has not grown up with a phone in the palm of the hand. I realize now that it was a real chance to fully experience things firsthand. I understand the desire to immortalize a concert with a photo, but just one. Otherwise, open your eyes and let yourself be carried away by the moment. In ten years, when you remember that time, you will have many other details that will rise to the surface, like the smells, the atmosphere, the sounds ... All that a photo can't reproduce! This is also something that I like about music. When I listen to the music from my adolescence, 80's stuff like Duran Duran, Depeche Mode ... there are all the memories of the era coming back to me instantly in my mind, as if I was there again.

What has inspired the album title "Gore"?
It is one of those words that are overwhelmed by their meaning. It is, in a way, a provocative word that triggers certain images. It has almost become a vulgarity. But at the same time, I found it interesting to play with and to bring out some form of beauty. It's a process that I discovered by way of The Smiths, with the song "Paint A Vulgar Picture". Not that it is my favorite track, but I have always been fascinated by the way in which Morrissey succeeded in changing the meaning of the word "vulgar" to give it an almost tender side. The idea was also to superimpose the brutality of "Gore" with the beauty of the artwork, which represents flamingos in flight. The colours are very elegant, with pink, purple, violet, gray...

Did you approach writing in a different way for this record?
Oh yes! Before, we set a goal defined in time, something like "we have three months to make the album." This time, we decided to take our time, let the songs ripen and not to rush ourselves. This album is much more thought through, we took care to dwell on each detail. We all met together in a small studio, from 12:00 to 18:00, for ten days. Then everyone went home, because we all live in different cities now. We stood back for a few weeks, and then we would meet for another session of ten days... And we continue like that until it is completed, which has taken a year and a half! But it was worth it, because we have slowly built a different universe for each song. There are a lot of contrasts on this album.

Where has it been recorded?
Music in Los Angeles, but I did the vocals not very far from home, in a small studio lost in the mountains of Oregon.

You don't live in Los Angeles anymore?
No, I moved from there three years ago. I live in the countryside now. I changed, I don't like to be in L.A. anymore, I feel alone. I'm in the middle of the mountains, it's so soothing. I have become very sensitive to nature. I always had this futuristic vision of me, old single man who lives in a shack in the woods. I think this is beginning to materialize (laughs). You can not imagine how much I'm not the same man. At the beginning of Deftones, I was kind of insomniac, linking the sleepless nights and partying overnight. Today I wake up early in the morning, I go to breathe fresh air, I am wandering in nature... I do not regret anything, but now I am a happy man. And at peace.

It is felt on the album. For while it is undeniably heavy, with intense moments of tension, it soars from one end to the other with a sense of quietude, something positive.
Exactly. I think it faithfully reflects who we are today, in our respective lives. We obviously draw our strength in the ambient aggressiveness, because we are sensitive to what is happening in the world but, at the same time we try to move towards the light, to keep a glimmer of hope. And that's really what emerges from this album. There's beauty inside. The music has, like life, a succession of emotions, ups and downs. And because right now we are doing well in our shoes, this shows on the album. And then, you know, we very quickly realized that we would never be the most technical musicians in the world. So to counterbalance this, we stake everything on the emotions.

What are the themes that you approach on this record?
Nothing concrete. The more time passes, the more I see music as an abstract art. It is a way to transport me, to escape myself, to visit unknown lands. I have no story to tell, I use the words as if they were colors. It's very unconscious, very visual too. And sometimes, I enjoy a red herring. When the themes seem too personal, too easy to understand, in these cases I try to make them more blurred, the meanings more blurred.

On "Acid Hologram", you seem to have fun with the rapid advances and flashbacks.
It was an unconventional way and very challenging to approach writing. It's about the feeling of being totally disconnected sometimes from reality and moving on a different path from the rest of the world. This is probably my favourite song on the album. The psyche is a great thing. And, you know what, this track was composed by Sergio.

Sergio has managed to make his mark?
Yes, he's a great guy. He did a great job on "Diamond Eyes", but he was still shy. In retrospect, I am well aware that the situation was hard to manage for him. To replace someone who is in a coma, without really being fully part of the group... It was delicate, he didn't really dare to affirm himself. It took him time. But now he is really part of us, he brings us a lot.

On the excellent "Phantom Bride", you can hear a guitar solo. This is a first for Deftones!
Yes. The song had been completed, but I found it was missing something. I sent it to Jerry Cantrell, asking him if he felt like playing the solo. It's something we have never done before. Already because I don't know how to play, and also because Stephen does not like it too much. Jerry, who is a very good friend and a great musician, came into the studio and he recorded it in minutes. I think it is one of the highlights of the album, it brings a new dynamic to our music, just as Maynard James Keenan had done on "Passenger" in the era of "White Pony".

Speaking of Jerry Cantrell, it is fun to see how Alice In Chains and Deftones have this same tendency to challenge labels. Alice In Chains has nothing to do with the grunge of its beginnings, like Deftones has nothing to do with nu metal.
It's very interesting what you say. I never thought about it, but it explains why I have always felt connected with the music of Alice In Chains. They have managed to build their own identity, and I think that's what we managed to do. I understand why we were classed as a nu metal group, in our beginnings. There were similarities. But we have always fought to distinguish ourselves and distance ourselves, not just from nu metal, but from all other genres. So much so that today there is no other group like Deftones. Just as there is no other Alice In Chains. This is our greatest success.

In the past, you talked about your interest in the dream pop of the 80's, and more particularly of Cocteau Twins. It is an influence that is felt in the first song, "Prayers/Triangles", with guitar reverberations that rest perfectly on your vocals.
I believe this group will influence me for eternity (laughs). When it is repeated and I hear a note full of guitar reverb, I scream "yes, that is it, we have a trick!" (laughs). Each time, this kind of sound reminds me of my adolescence. Today, with my guitair I use an effects pedal Boss Dimension C, which was precisely that used by the Cocteau Twins and all other groups of the time.

And then there's "Hearts/Wires", certainly the most ambitious song on the album. You had already juggled dark, trippy atmospheres, but here it is almost Pink Floyd!
Oh I love this song! This is one of the first songs we worked on for this record. It has a particular flavor, very 70's, somewhere between Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac. It was not easy to work on this piece, especially because Stephen always hated it. I remember when we started working on it, the songs were rotated again and again, and Stephen put himself in a corner, crossing his arms. I said: "Stephen, can you come play with us please?". And he remained sulking like a spoiled child, he kept: "I don't like it, I don't like it at all." And I'd say, "Trust me, in a few months you will be sitting in the mix room, with the headphones on, and tell me how this song is great." And you know what? This is exactly what happened (laughs). He can be very stubborn, and sometimes can really clash with us. But it has always been the case, that's why there are these towering contrasts in our music. The worst part was at the time of "White Pony". It comes to hating everything that is proposed to one another. But rather than seek to annihilate the adverse ideas, we always try to ensure that we absorb them. We are like two brothers, we can fight fiercely, but we always ended up reconciling.

Even if Chino Moreno is busy with Deftones, he does not forget his other projects. He gives us some trails:
About Crosses, the guys are in the process of writing new songs as we speak. This project is all about fun and I hope we can seriously reactivate all this next year. As for Team Sleep, we have many, many, many songs. We even have enough to release an album, I just need to find the time to record the vocals.

Album review:

In counterpoint to "Diamond Eyes", which played immediately the front of the card, Deftones exposes all its melodic verve here. From the start of the album, "Prayers / Triangles" casts its soft dream pop reverberations, perfectly keyed to the singing of Chino. And even when he writes in the red, the singer does here with more contained resentment, less visceral. Rather than shout from one end to the other, he plays with effects like so many contrasts (the schizophrenic "Geometric Headress"). Above all, "Gore" confirms all the progressive talent of the Californians, the best when it comes to building atmopheres. You'd swear you hear Pink Floyd on the orbital "Hearts And Wires" or some post-rock resurgences arise in the guitar layers of "Rubicon". On the aerial "Phantom Bride", the band even allows guest Jerry Cantrell to hit a solo, a first in the history of the group! Such is "Gore": Deftones at their most raw, Deftones at their most beautiful.
Thomas Mafrouche
18.5 / 20

Nice, thanks...
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

worship

float here 4ever

Martin

Great read man, thanks for translating!

dawg

Interview with Chino from the german magazin Fuze.
Too lazy to translate it but to sum it up:

• their creative process is based on Stef and his differences, otherwise Gore would be his solo record
• back in the day they literally used to fight about songs, now they talk it out and see what's best for the song
• compared to Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan they took their time with Gore
• Chino learns from his side projects

pelican fly

Quote from: punkflop01 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:19 PM
Everyone can calm down now.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-03-17/deftones-stef-buries-split-rumours-that-followed-tense-gore-sessions

Amen. I don't see why most people overreacted in the first place. He said in that same interview that it took him awhile to get into it. So that means he eventually got into it. Common sense.I don't see what all the uproar was about.

Far away

Reichward

cvthedrv

Quote from: Reichward on Mar 17, 2016, 11:01 PM
Stef is pissed by our shit

we're atached to a real emotion, he should be more sympathetic about the people who cares and pay his bills.

LG95

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 17, 2016, 11:54 PM

we're atached to a real emotion, he should be more sympathetic about the people who cares and pay his bills.
Yeah but he doesn't need to be sympathetic when people overreact to comments he's made. When people start jumping to unnecessary conclusions or start taking sides Chino v Stephen then it's a bit over the top.
I could float here forever

cvthedrv

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 18, 2016, 12:02 AM

Yeah but he doesn't need to be sympathetic when people overreact to comments he's made. When people start jumping to unnecessary conclusions or start taking sides Chino v Stephen then it's a bit over the top.

yes, but i insist, some people are attached to a sort of real emotion then maybe they overreact in a strange way, so it's not just a little thing.

(obviously there's another dumb fuck people who tries to troll and just fail, but that's another tale).

King Leer

hahahaha i know for a fact that some of the people here on SL don't even own one single copy of their albums nor go to their shows but they're the most that bitch and moan all the time.

ANattyRat

Quote from: punkflop01 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:19 PM
Everyone can calm down now.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-03-17/deftones-stef-buries-split-rumours-that-followed-tense-gore-sessions

To be fair, he did give the interview and he did say those things. It's not like it was on a gossip site about how 'a source revealed that Steph is unhappy with the new album', you know? It was an interview, and so the things he said worried people because people love this band. But I'm glad he cleared things up.

DeftonesNZ

I agree with him though, as soon as I saw the first interview I said nothing new here, I think his point is that they've talked about the tension  in interviews for years now and done things like the songwriting battles video where he explained the dynamic, from his perspective it's frustrating people make drama over it when they have the internet and access to a bunch of resources where the band themselves have explained how the tension between him and Chino works but somehow people seem to be quicker to make dramatic assumptions now than before the internet when they didn't know anything.