Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavinVsFlud

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 22, 2016, 09:13 AM
Metal Hammer gives Gore a 9 out of 10:

That original opening song they took off the album is called Crest. Hmmm.

Thanks for the read! Wow, dropping the first track is ballsy. I really hope that we eventually see "Crest" released on a b side and the other 4 instrumental songs make their way online.

LG95

Thanks for that, great review. I trust Stephen Hill's opinion and he's a big Deftones fan so I'm extra confident this album's going to be really good.
I could float here forever

ANattyRat

Thanks for the read, awesome review. It does indeed sound like Gore breaks the happy-sounding direction of the last two albums, and is more diverse. I really can't wait, this is going to be awesome.

guizz

From this review, doomed user sounds the less interresting yet i love this track!!

phil for real

All the reviews have been positive so far.  Can't wait to hear this.  LEAK!

2MoreHours

I like hearing that it is reminiscent of SNW.  That's one of my favorite albums.  Sounds like this album is unpredictable which I also really like. Lemme get that leak.

DefAlx

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 22, 2016, 09:13 AM
Metal Hammer gives Gore a 9 out of 10:

That original opening song they took off the album is called Crest. Hmmm.

Can you please post it in better quality? For me English isn't my native language and because of it it's hard to see what written there :(

snw9

(L)MIRL is also similar to heart and wires.

Nice to see they're comparing it to SNW, perhaps because of how diverse SNW was and that each song was unique.
Code: [Select]

from_musings

I hope that these high grades are high because the album is good, not because the reviewer are fanboying over the band and like to promote the new record. guys, remember when the first kny review was out and it was a 10/10? lol. it was like a medal to deftones for long and faithful service more than a review. 

ANattyRat

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 22, 2016, 05:18 PM
(L)MIRL is also similar to heart and wires.

Nice to see they're comparing it to SNW, perhaps because of how diverse SNW was and that each song was unique.

Not similar in sound. They're comparing the songs because they both contain elements/influences that Deftones haven't done before, so they're both very out-there and different for the band. Even so, those are great comments to make.

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 06:19 PM
I hope that these high grades are high because the album is good, not because the reviewer are fanboying over the band and like to promote the new record. guys, remember when the first kny review was out and it was a 10/10? lol. it was like a medal to deftones for long and faithful service more than a review.

I don't remember the Koi No Yokan reviews, but for me the words matter more than the rating. 9/10 is awesome but is subjective. The way people describe songs is somewhat subjective, but not entirely. If a song is heavy, it's undeniably heavy, you know? If the reviewer listens to Deftones, they know whether a song sounds different and experimental from them. He says there's no Swerve City or Rocket Skates, and the descriptions sound awesome, so for me, I don't interpret it as fanboying. Well, certainly the reviewer loves the band and the album, but I don't think the review itself is blind excitement from new music.

rainnyx4

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 06:19 PM

Except that KNY pretty much was a 10/10.

from_musings

from_musings

about crest... i'm thinking they should release gore like it will be released, but then also a deluxe version of the record but with crest as the opening track. or as closer. but preferably as the opening track like it was intended. maybe black flamingos on the album cover or some stuff like that. white pony kind of deal with different openers (bts) and extra track (boys republic). why not?

rainnyx4

I feel like this is the only place on Earth where people would shit on KNY and would put stuff like S/T, two lackluster songs from Eros, and bunch of half-baked ideas from the SNW demos on a pedestal.

Again:

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 21, 2016, 12:43 AM
Deftones fans are clearly pretty pretentious and often want to go against the grain or take a stance that will position them in the obscure because they want to feel a part of some elite Deftones fan club that makes them somehow better than the casual or new fans (whether they consciously know it or not). The obsession over two mediocre tracks from Eros (and also the fawning over S/T) is pretty clear evidence of this in my opinion.

N0S3BLEED976

It all boils down to opinion. But I agree that I have a feeling that some one here pull the "I'm a superior fan" card, especially those that whine the loudest as soon as someone praises Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, or suggests that they prefer a certain song off of these albums over anything released prior.
To me SNW, Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are the band's trifecta so far. To me that's their core sound.

E-Money

I'm sorry but swerve city is so lame to me. Happy he made the swerve city / rocket skates comment . Both songs just really bore me. I'm not saying KNY is a bad record because I really enjoy a lot of it. I just feel it could have been a lot better. This review has definitely got me excited for gore !! :)

rainnyx4

The main riffs in Swerve City are nothing to go crazy over but Sergio's bass-line in the verse and the little keyboard/guitar lead after the bridge are gold.

Rocket Skates was severely disappointing. Great evidence of when the band gets too lazy. It needed a true bridge.