Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ominousnimbus

Am I the only one who actually likes the title track on DE and thinks it's in contention for the album highlight?  :-\

Anyway, it would be between that and Hexagram for me.

Inkblades

I'll never understand the hate for HITE. One of the most unique and just flat out prettiest songs they have ever written.

ominousnimbus

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 03, 2012, 06:20 AM
I'll never understand the hate for HITE. One of the most unique and just flat out prettiest songs they have ever written.
I like the lyrics, but musically, it's a tad too bland and commercial-sounding for me to love. I think they could have nudged it enough in the other direction to make it come across better simply by playing in a less conventional key (it's in D, so maybe something like A# or C# instead). Hell, I feel that kind of worked for DE (the song), which was also a bit poppy on paper. Maybe that's just me though.

RollerDerby

"Carve your niche."

bewareofrats

Absolutely.  A highlight of their career.  Isn't Chino playing guitar in the song?  If so, all the more reason for me to be excited about KNY since he plays guitar on most of it.  I love the melody of HITE, it's unique and pretty and you don't hear much if anything else like it in all their albums.

About the commercial thing, this is what I came up with: there's good and bad commercial and of course it depends on the person as to what fits under each category.  I can see people calling Change, Minerva and Hole in the Earth, etc. commercial.  To me if those songs are commercial, they are good commercial.  On the other hand, songs/choruses like the song Diamond Eyes is bad commercial that reminds of 30 Seconds to Mars or something and sounds like it's really trying to be popular.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

nineteen

Brilliant song, just too many "Hole In The Earth" bits.

FNatt

This feeling gets old, and so do your eyes.

FNatt

This.

Same with Mein, for me.

xToxin

An underrated song is Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event. That was my favorite song in the entire world for a good couple of years. The emotion in that song is really fucking apparent, more so than a lot of other songs on that album and deftones in general. Really underappreciated.

Deftones - Anniversary of An Uninteresting Event + Lyrics

from_musings

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 03, 2012, 03:25 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Nov 02, 2012, 11:53 PM
on the interbutts. here's a better version - without the noice http://www.sendspace.com/file/3mhp41
Thanks im loving the sound of that,the last bit sounds a bit like the chorus of lotion

perhaps a little bit like lotion. so swerve riff:lotion, handclap:finger of death, bass sound: teething, effects:korea  8)

i think poltergeist seems like it could've been awesome as an opener. but i bet swerve will be great too. the swerve riff sounds bouncy indeed

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 03, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 03, 2012, 03:25 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Nov 02, 2012, 11:53 PM
on the interbutts. here's a better version - without the noice http://www.sendspace.com/file/3mhp41
Thanks im loving the sound of that,the last bit sounds a bit like the chorus of lotion

perhaps a little bit like lotion. so swerve riff:lotion, handclap:finger of death, bass sound: teething, effects:korea  8)

i think poltergeist seems like it could've been awesome as an opener. but i bet swerve will be great too. the swerve riff sounds bouncy indeed
Yeah poltergiest would be a good opener i'm guessing they choose swerve because it's more full on ,poltergeist has the slower bits they might have just wanted a real energetic track to kickstart the album

Pndi

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
Absolutely.  A highlight of their career.  Isn't Chino playing guitar in the song?  If so, all the more reason for me to be excited about KNY since he plays guitar on most of it.  I love the melody of HITE, it's unique and pretty and you don't hear much if anything else like it in all their albums.

About the commercial thing, this is what I came up with: there's good and bad commercial and of course it depends on the person as to what fits under each category.  I can see people calling Change, Minerva and Hole in the Earth, etc. commercial.  To me if those songs are commercial, they are good commercial.  On the other hand, songs/choruses like the song Diamond Eyes is bad commercial that reminds of 30 Seconds to Mars or something and sounds like it's really trying to be popular.

Timbaland  ;D

deftoner664

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Nov 03, 2012, 06:31 AM
I like the lyrics, but musically, it's a tad too bland and commercial-sounding for me to love. I think they could have nudged it enough in the other direction to make it come across better simply by playing in a less conventional key (it's in D, so maybe something like A# or C# instead). Hell, I feel that kind of worked for DE (the song), which was also a bit poppy on paper. Maybe that's just me though.

I don't understand how changing the key would make it a less "commercial-sounding" song, I think its great.. Plus, it's cool they wrote a somewhat recent song that can be played by almost any novice fan who plays guitar, just tune the E down to the D and you can jam right along. I don't mind it being in the key of D at all.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Mustang

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Nov 03, 2012, 06:10 AM
Am I the only one who actually likes the title track on DE and thinks it's in contention for the album highlight?  :-\

Anyway, it would be between that and Hexagram for me.

I agree. DE title track is great, I never understood the hate.

Electron§

Quote from: xToxin on Nov 03, 2012, 11:02 AM
An underrated song is Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event. That was my favorite song in the entire world for a good couple of years. The emotion in that song is really fucking apparent, more so than a lot of other songs on that album and deftones in general. Really underappreciated.

Deftones - Anniversary of An Uninteresting Event + Lyrics

Highly agreed. Its one of their most beautiful and unique songs. They should really experiment with this kind of sound. The piano and subtle hints of guitar with the pounding drums and Chino just crooning, makes something really heartfelt.

TheShade1989

All the ppl desperate for a leak have rubbed off on me. I had a dream that I came on here to find 50+ pages in the KNY thread, so I went to it, found out it's leaked. And instead of downloading it, I decided to browse through said 50+ pages to read ppl's opinions. My God, my brain is boring.

DAFTPUNK87

Anyone notice a similarity between these two album covers?

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

geraavl08

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 04, 2012, 08:00 PM

I wonder if the CD will have a dandelion or whatever the fuck that flower is called on it like Adrenaline, ATF, B-sides, & SNW did

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: geraavl08 on Nov 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 04, 2012, 08:00 PM

I wonder if the CD will have a dandelion or whatever the fuck that flower is called on it like Adrenaline, ATF, B-sides, & SNW did
Yeah, I was wondering the same as well. I kinda hope they change it up this time and go with something different.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes