Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Quote from: whipsy77 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote from: Moz on Nov 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
Goon Squad became my favourite.

Yep, Killer track, soft intro then just jumps out from behind a tree and smashes you in the face... love it
I love how that outro from Rosemary flows straight into Goon Squad. Fucking bad ass!
The whole album just flows so beautifully from one track to another.
Makes me wish I never listened to Tempest/Leathers/Rosemary beforehand.

Thoughts on What Happened to You?

Sounds a lot like Team Sleep to me, LOVE IT! Lyrics own hard.
I'm on my second listen, right now. Gotta let it all soak in before I can say my thoughts.. but so far I fucking love it.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

beansandcornbread

Quote from: Drummerboy_123 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Quote from: whipsy77 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote from: Moz on Nov 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
Goon Squad became my favourite.

Yep, Killer track, soft intro then just jumps out from behind a tree and smashes you in the face... love it
I love how that outro from Rosemary flows straight into Goon Squad. Fucking bad ass!
The whole album just flows so beautifully from one track to another.
Makes me wish I never listened to Tempest/Leathers/Rosemary beforehand.

Thoughts on What Happened to You?

Sounds a lot like Team Sleep to me, LOVE IT! Lyrics own hard.

I love it as well.  Very "The Police" sounding.  Great closer.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: Usurper on Nov 07, 2012, 10:07 PM
OMFG, thank god this finally leaked.  Now I can finally talk about the album.
Been sittin on it for a few weeks now, had to keep my mouth shut about it, for obvious reasons.

Now that the album has officially leaked, I can finally post my thoughts on it.

Thoughts about KOI NO YOKAN
from the perspective of a long time fan since Adrenaline.

My first impression was the usual, "wow, this is unlike any deftones album I have heard."
This time, however, there were many more differences to absorb and come to terms with.
Most of Steph's heavy and bouncy riffs are few and far between. Chino's screams seem to only exist briefly on Leathers and Tempest. This is a much less angry album compared to the past efforts. At first, I wouldn't say it bothered me, but it stood out.  I can see why anyone hoping for a more raw and less commercial sound might be a bit turned off.  I would be lying if I said I didn't miss some of the angry tone usually present on a deftones album, but the quality and newly found atmosphere of the songs more than make up for it.

It is really nice to hear Leathers, Tempest and Rosemary in the context of the album.
I think all of the songs are perfectly placed.  The harder parts of Tempest sound harder and the prettier parts of Rosemary sound prettier, given the scope of the entire album.  I was highly anticipating Poltergeist, which I Ioved the instant I watched the first YouTube video.  The studio recording sounds thick and awesome. I do have a minor gripe, though. Chino replaced several screams with an odd sounding clean note. This illustrates that there was a conscious effort to lessen the amount of angry style vocals on this album. Had I not listened to the live song a million times, I would have never noticed. However, it stands out to me. Other than that small personal irritant, the song is beyond fucking awesome.  I'm sure many long time fans will find Goon Squad immediately appealing.  The reason is that it's instant gratification to the ears of those yearning for a familiar deftones banger.  To this day, Romantic Dreams remains my favorite track.  It's not a roller coaster of a song that many early reviewers suggested, but the tempo changes are unique and the chorus is extremely catchy. 

The album has steady medium pace, as opposed to previous alternations between heavy and mellow songs. Most songs were immediately enjoyable, while only a few tracks needed to creep up and grow on me. Of all of the albums that have been released since Around the Fur, with the exception of Diamond Eyes, this album resonated with me the quickest. This likely won't be claiming the throne as my favorite deftones album of all time, but it has quickly found a place in the top tier.

Hahaha dude, we all knew you had it the whole time. Or at least, I figured you did.
But job well done on not being an asshole and dangling it in front of our faces like everyone else has.
Good review, upon first listen my feelings are damn near the same.
I'm currently on my second listen, by the third listen I'll share my thoughts on the album over all and track by track.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

DJR

and on that note! bed time! goon sqaud made me wet myself

decapod

This album is great. I'm def. diggin' it a lot more than I did the first time I heard it.

DarkKnight85

I think its an album where it is best experienced start to finish. Tempest is pretty damn good within the context of the cd. I love the whole thing so far. About to start Guaze.

Drummerboy_123

Romantic Dreams and Tempest have grown on me a lot in context of the album.

Pushing the album up to a 8/10.
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

Pony#1

Kickass torrents has the 320 ladies and gents

sing blue silver

Well this excites me. People seem to like it at first impression. Hopefully I feel the same when I hear it next week.

only pieces remain

iceache

Hey someone able to pm sendspace links to individual tracks. I'm on my iPad so I can't download.

seasick

Quote from: DarkKnight85 on Nov 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
I think its an album where it is best experienced start to finish. Tempest is pretty damn good within the context of the cd. I love the whole thing so far. About to start Guaze.
Agreed, and those are my favorite kinds of albums.

Can I just say that this album is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard? <3
And also that it kicks ass.  8) 7 albums in and not a single dud in the bunch: I'm impressed, Deftones. I'm impressed.

rock_n_frost

My first listen
This album sounds like nothing else. Do not compare it anything.

1- Swerve City   8/10
2- Romantic Dreams  8.5/10  (i blame band cause they describe the song something like hex,wtgb)
4- Poltergeist   10/10
5- Entombed    9/10
6- Graphic Nature  9/10
8- Gause   10/10
10- Good Squad   20/10   (This song is too good for this album) BEST SONG OF THE ALBUM
11- What happened   8/10  (Nothing weird about this song. I dont know why that stupid reviews told it is different)

Tempest  10/10
Rosemary 8/10
Leathers  8/10

Overall : 8.5/10    Best album of the year. Not the best Deftones. Also that shows reviews are bunch of craps. All they wrote were wrong.

BEST SONGS OF THE ALBUM
1-Goon Squad
2-Poltergeist
3-Gause

Nice work Deftones. Nice work.
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Change_Lestat

God, Swerve City is such a awesome opener! I'll do a review later XD
"I put my life on the line for you... So why did you say goodbye to me?"  The Wretched - Attack! Attack!

elite54

Hey can someone pm me the link. The ones I have we're taken down before I could DL. Thanks.

rageman02uk

Ok peeped the forum about 4hrs ago before the Man utd game and just popped back on now before bed, have i missed much??

ponyx

Quote from: Heisenberg on Nov 07, 2012, 10:04 PM
pm please. I downloaded one already but it was a broken file and didnt download all of goon squad and none of what happened to you.

shoop

thank youuu

Corleone

Got a hot date tonight, this should add some swag to my step.

Drummerboy_123

MY THOUGHTS ON KNY: First impressions

Swerve City is a better opener, chorus own you 8/10
Romantic Dreams is growing on me, still parts of a bit cringy and boring  5/10
Leathers is good all around 7/10
Poltergeist is the "heavy one" and it rocks hard 8/10
Entombed is my favourite, song fucking owns 10/10
Graphic Nature, can't remember much of it. Seems like a grower. Beat is similar to Digital Bath 6/10
Tempest is the weakest song on the album, too long, chorus is boring, fits with the album though 4/10
Gauze is my second fave, great song all around, love its atmosphere and its lyricism 9/10
Rosemary, love it more than I thought I would when I heard the cassette rip of it. Pumps me up! 8/10
Goon Squad, why hello White Pony. Again another solid track 7/10
What Happened to You? I just LOVE this closing track. I don't even know why hahaha XD Funky beats. Best Deftones closer to date 9/10

Overall first impressions: 8/10

Will obviously go up as time goes on.
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3