Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Real bands

Started by An bád dubh, May 25, 2013, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An bád dubh

I love bands who are or at least seem real. On the other hand, the bands who seem fake only get my affection to some extent. The realness can for example come from staying through to your ideals and roots, doing what you want and doing it great. It can also just come from the sound or the appearance. Oddly enough, the fakeness can also come from the sound or the appearance. Most of the time though it seems to come from trying to please the mainstream audience or the record label too much - these two usually seem to go hand in hand too.

So what I want is that we'd show each other some real bands. Bands that are or once were very real. Post videos, quotes, your opinions, whatever you want to share to showcase a real band. You can also post one fake band at the end if you want. Heck, some people might like the fake one more than the real ones. The truth is that many fake bands make good music and are hugely popular, its just that something is missing with them for me and Im sure that many share that feeling.

I'll post some bands in a few.

An bád dubh

Real and Good:

I'll start with Kingston Wall. They played psychedelic/progressive rock and were active in the early 90s until the singer/guitarist killed himself by jumping down from a church tower. Their music seems very real and they were amazing musicians.

http://youtu.be/BCBomvw2-UM

Tori Amos has always been close to my heart. Her piano, voice and fun compositions always felt real to me and still do. She has a huge following but seemingly she has not needed to sell out to stay in the spotlight.

http://youtu.be/KWmETxWM0h0

The next one is Denali and with that Maura Davis. She has that strange realness in her. Despite never getting much success she doesnt seem to compromise and keeps being rather awesome with every project. I hope she doesnt quit and just keeps going. She can still make it.

http://youtu.be/-cnk_FouAEE

Fake but was Good:

Egypt Central. Haha, this band is probably one of the fakest seeming band that I've listened to. Their first album was cool, I guess they broke up after the second. Here's a music video of one of their songs. It pretty much shows what I mean about the fake. In this case the outlook is just somehow overdriven. They cleaned up their look for the second album which just seems to confirm the fakeness. I will pop this album on my MP3 player every once and then in the future for sure though.

http://youtu.be/lR4-hi-gyhU

DeftonesNZ

I like alot of NZ / Australian bands because they seem to be more genuine , and by that I mean they just seem to make the music they naturally would make if nobody else heard it. Bands like Karnivool,Decortica and Blindspott just seem to make music that appeals to a wide audience without sacrificing their individuality. I think bands are less effected by what's popular down here because even if they did conform to the trends the audience wouldn't be much bigger anyway. Also Beastwars from NZ is a band I've recently got into that have really got a lot of my respect they're middle aged guys but they still have a youthful passion for making music,They just make super heavy metal with powerful vocals and sludgy riffs ,it's nothing technical but they're are brutally heavy and the lead singer has an amazingly raw voice it sounds like he swallows gravel lol. their new album debuted at number two our charts aswell which is awesome for an uncomprisingly heavy band, and their album artwork is amazing its done by a guy who works for Weta Workshop.

http://youtu.be/0tTOctW3dF4

black coffee

seriously now,  you must be working in tourism  ;)

DeftonesNZ

Haha yeah you'd think so, just seemed appropriate to give some local examples because I think we have alot here, I think it's because it's easier to be successful here without catering to what's popular, metal always does super well here alot of albums have peaked in NZ we have a big bogan community, bogans are like people who like metal and have mullets lol.

DJR

Crazylegs

Beastwars sounds badass!

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Crazylegs on May 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
Beastwars sounds badass!
Yeah they just released a new album like a month ago, the whole albums great I'm into this song at the moment especially from about 3:30 onwards.

http://youtu.be/mYdVepNibuk

theis

As far as work ethic, live performance philosophy and a pure "not-giving-a-fuck" attitude, The Dillinger Escape Plan comes to mind.

You may not like the music, but they're as real as it gets.

Zantera

I don't really get the definition of "fake", are you talking about bands who changed their sound to try to make something different? I mean if anything, making the same album over and over again gets boring.

But maybe I just misunderstood your definition of "fake", but I can't really think of much that I would put under it. Artists who make music just for the money but has no interest in the artistic side of it, maybe?

An bád dubh

Quote from: Zantera on May 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
I don't really get the definition of "fake", are you talking about bands who changed their sound to try to make something different? I mean if anything, making the same album over and over again gets boring.

But maybe I just misunderstood your definition of "fake", but I can't really think of much that I would put under it. Artists who make music just for the money but has no interest in the artistic side of it, maybe?
It can be any of those things. Some bands feel fake (as in not real or genuine) because they change their sound to fit the current trend. Some keep their realness while doing so. Some keep doing the same album again and again and some feel that its fake. Some on the other hand pretty much make the same thing again and again but feel as real as it gets.

So whats real or fake is really in the eye of the beholder. Though the real/fake comparison should be probably changed to just who's real.

Korn is probably a good example of a band who felt so real back in 1995 but less than 10 years later started to feel more or less feel like a bad joke.

An bád dubh

theis, the guy in the middle of that QOTSA picture looks a lot like Jon Theodore. He in the band now or what?

Edit. Checked out some live stuff with Jon now, cool, didnt expect to see that coming.

Jacob

Quote from: DJR on May 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
Jane's Addiction - Then She Did {Live In Milan} 10-11-90 [HQ]

This is as real as it gets for me :)

Oh hell yes. A more real band you'll have to search for. Jane's Addiction will always do whatever the fuck they want to, and it's always pure emotion. Thank you for posting this video. This song will always make me fill me with sadness, but in a good way. The original title, "Then She Died...", says it all.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

people are people

The only big and true band in these days is Tool they are the greatest band ever,They don't give in to trends, they consistently make music that doesn't deviate from their core style, but doesn't sound exactly like the album before it. In a time where 90% of music sounds the same, Tool maintains their unique sound while building on their style and producing music and lyrics that inspire and promote thought.
They are a very unique band to see live also.The Zen-inflected, life, art and beauty affirming lyrics and the grappling with one of the central enigmas of human existence makes this band stand out. I could write interpretations about any song of Tool with convincing arguments. And as always with Tool, the way the music and lyrics combine to resonate like a tsunami with the ocean floor on a level that neither could achieve alone are what makes Tool the best band ever.  They are perfect, All members of Tool are genius,Tool is the definition of the evolution of the human being, they are in higher form of energy and i could write a beautiful text (not cliche) and share the best interviews ever but i will only share some things because everything about Tool is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKce3DTf_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwWJnfbWUA0

The Most Hilarious and Informative Moments of MJK

i really can post much better stuff but this comment its already big and nothing of this make justice to TOOL

i will share just the best screams EVER huahuaha

Maynard James Keenan Best Screams

An bád dubh i agree with you about Tori Amos i love her and guess what

GOD MAYNARD and Tori Amos
Tori Amos feat. Maynard James Keenan - Muhammad, my friend

p.s:There's no such thing as a "best band of all time."
DEFTONES4EVER

DeftonesNZ

I'm a big fan of Tool but they've only put out 4 full albums in 23 years. I think to be call a band the best in the world they would need to have a wider discography, they maintain the illusion of longevity because they take like 6 years between albums I want to see how many new ideas they've got when there on their 7th album, that would be a true test of longevity.

people are people

How can you say that you are a big fan of Tool? Sticking Feathers Up your Butt Does Not Make You A Chicken.
First they put records in 4 or 5 or 6 years because they try progresses people, like not just musically, but like really evolve them, take themselves to a different level and then they recombine 4 or 5 years to make a album, you know, hopping that the progression of people connects to their music.
If this doesn't make sense to you because you are a poser. i can say things in this way
did you see the interview about why Maynard James Keenan Turned to Wine Making? how can he be focus on Tool. He have A Perfect Circle and Puscifer. do you really think that Maynard and Tool will someday be with lack of ideas. please...
Only a noob say this.

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 26, 2013, 02:22 AM
I'm a big fan of Tool but they've only put out 4 full albums in 23 years. I think to be call a band the best in the world they would need to have a wider discography, they maintain the illusion of longevity because they take like 6 years between albums I want to see how many new ideas they've got when there on their 7th album, that would be a true test of longevity.

DeftonesNZ

I just said the true test of a band is time, they've been around a long time but not actively, most bands can do 4 good albums the true test of a bands ability comes when they're on their 7th or 8th it's then when you truly see if they can still produce something new and exciting. I am a big fan of Tool and I'm sorry if you have delusionally elevated the Tool guys to something ascendant of the human race but the fact is they are just humans like everyone else thus they have to cope with the creative hurdles all musicians face. Also APC's last album was 9 years ago and Puscifier does fuck all their last release only had 7 songs and like 4 of those were remixes done by other people so that's not an excuse either.

people are people

Man i only don't like when you say you are a big fan of Tool and say this complete Bullshit...Tool Discography Includes: 10,000 Days, aenima, Opiate, Salival, Undertow, Lateralus, Toolshed,
they have 4studio albums...i didn't delusionally elevated the Tool guys to something ascendant of the human race...Tool did...They already prove what they are in all this years and the message that they want pass ,if you don't see in that way ok...if you really believe in that bullshit

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 26, 2013, 04:02 AM
I just said the true test of a band is time, they've been around a long time but not actively, most bands can do 4 good albums the true test of a bands ability comes when they're on their 7th or 8th it's then when you truly see if they can still produce something new and exciting.

Its okay if you disagree with me, i can`t force you the be right. up your facts straight. poser.

FlyingPiranha

Quote from: theis on May 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
As far as work ethic, live performance philosophy and a pure "not-giving-a-fuck" attitude, The Dillinger Escape Plan comes to mind.

You may not like the music, but they're as real as it gets.
They're who instantly came to mind for me, too. That attitude, on top of the music, is what makes them one of my absolute favorite bands.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

DeftonesNZ

I'm aware of the demo's and ep's but I don't count live albums or demo's as full albums. and Wider does not refer to the number of records but the range, they haven't really tried much new stuff during the 24 years and what really bothers me is that they have a lot of filler on their albums just on Aenima alone you have "Message to Harry Manback" "Intermission""Cesaro Summability" and "(-)Ions" it's just to many filler tracks for an album and it stops the cohesion of the album. I am a big fan of Tool I just don't think they've really tested themselves out  and it annoys me because their great musicians but they don't seem to want to get out of their comfort zone and mix up their style.