Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guizz

Quote from: cvthedrv on Feb 26, 2016, 05:42 AM
I dont care, fuck DE & KNY Newbie fans.
Lol, I've been on deftones boards for more than 15 years and i've seen retarded comments like that since forever.
"Fuck White pony newbie fans"..."Fuck Self titled Newbie fans"...."Fuck Saturday Night Wrist Newbie fans"...

It's fucking retarded.

Poltergeist

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 04:57 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 26, 2016, 02:44 AM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 01:21 AM
if chino isn't into heavy music why was diamond eyes and kny their most crushing albums? they are also the most melodic too which is why they are my favorite, they represent deftones at their best, they've become better at what they've done since '89.

ever heard the song *GIFT*

exactly, so shut up.

KNY is their most crushing album??? are you one of the new fans who thinks Diamond Eyes is their 1st record???? might be the most idiotic statement I have ever read...try listening to the 2003 album and then listen to KNY..then get back to me on which is more crushing...LMAO

I have somthing for you to "LMAO" about. first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song and second of all as for being a new fan, you don't even know the song GIFT which is why I put that in my original post because i know how you baseheads think around here, I can predict your every move.

This is Chino ^

Penicks

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 04:57 AMI have somthing for you to "LMAO" about. first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song and second of all as for being a new fan, you don't even know the song GIFT which is why I put that in my original post because i know how you baseheads think around here, I can predict your every move.

please go back to reddit

Yoi Yes Kokan

whatever that is, i don't get the joke, don't make me waste a post.

Vesanic

first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song

It's like you're asking to be slapped. Seriously, your statement is just plain stupid, and has nothing to do with what side of Deftones one could like better. Pink Maggit is not an aggressive song and is still heavier than Poltergeist.

EDIT : blondie stop that shit

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 26, 2016, 08:07 AM
first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song

It's like you're asking to be slapped. Seriously, your statement is just plain stupid, and has nothing to do with what side of Deftones one could like better. Pink Maggit is not an aggressive song and is still heavier than Poltergeist.

EDIT : blondie stop that shit

your first sentence was a bunch of hypocritical bullshit. And your second sentence is a great point, and that's the side i like the most in the band and i have no idea but from steph's interview it probably is more emotionally heavy, but who knows maybe he layed down slaughter on the record and made sure not to tell anyone so you could wax un poetic about how you feel about the upcoming release like you are doing.

sandman

I hope I don't catch too much heat for being new around here and this post won't have much substance but after being fan of their work since the beginning I'm excited for the direction the band appears to be heading with Gore. It's fun to speculate and assume things but like Steph and Chino said expectations will just let you down. Let's try to be optimistic and be thankful we get blessed with new music and more shows!

Vesanic

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 08:45 AM
your first sentence was a bunch of hypocritical bullshit.

How is it hypocritical?

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 08:45 AMAnd your second sentence is a great point, and that's the side i like the most in the band and i have no idea but from steph's interview it probably is more emotionally heavy, but who knows maybe he layed down slaughter on the record and made sure not to tell anyone so you could wax un poetic about how you feel about the upcoming release like you are doing.

Funny thing is I haven't said one negative thing about Gore. Not one. Maybe I mentioned the cover I didn't like so much but that's about it. I became even more enthusiastic at the release of P/T.

You're one abrasive mouse. I feel like putting you in a cage with oldschool fans and getting you all jacked on coke to see what happens

(blondie if it's you I've missed you man)

Vesanic

Just to make it clear, I couldn't care less about Deftones being so fucking heavy \m/ yuuur metul broken necks and tit-flashing Guns'n'Roses fans, I just wish there was still a deep core like there used to be.

White Pony is probably the softest album from their back catalogue and it's my favorite. The thing about Chino's new wave influences and whatnot is that it used to be subtle and layed on at the right time. That's why WP is so good, because the Stef/Chino fight made them filter as much superficial stuff to keep what pleased them the most and combine it into a brilliant cocktail. Now that Chino's got so much fame and credit, he won't take as much input as before from people, not even from Stef, who built the sound of the fucking band.

I'm convinced Stef isn't so much about plain aggressivity. It's just the actual art behind it, man. If you remember well, fans used to take pride in the fact they were never an image band. You couldn't say so today, most of their songs are produced to conform at least slightly to radio standards. How mindblowing is that when you think the singer of the same band bashed a radio station on a documentary because they took screams away from a song?

Admit it, Deftones might still create effective and somewhat catchy music, but that music is never going to put you in that trance like it used do. And it has nothing to do with nostalgia. The stuff just doesn't have that necessary "purity", lacking a better word.

Yoi Yes Kokan

old school fans? first of all, if i meet someone who just discovered them, im jealous of all the new amazing music they get to discover, finding the deftones is finding an emerald. I've bought every record since white pony the day it came out, who cares? I know all of their shit and I just mentioned the song Gift and everyone backed off and acted like i made it up because even the biggest nerds couldn't compete with that knowledge.

I love the last two records the most, i love all their records and they've all been my favorite at one time or another, but what they're doing now is a perfection of what they've been doing, everyone is on their A game, i haven't heard the new album but i pray it's melodic with wordplay and nice riffs throughout, not chino or stef taking it too much of one direction, that's been that last two albums and it's the perfect balance.

LG95

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 26, 2016, 09:18 AM
I'm convinced Stef isn't so much about plain aggressivity. It's just the actual art behind it, man. If you remember well, fans used to take pride in the fact they were never an image band. You couldn't say so today, most of their songs are produced to conform at least slightly to radio standards. How mindblowing is that when you think the singer of the same band bashed a radio station on a documentary because they took screams away from a song?

Admit it, Deftones might still create effective and somewhat catchy music, but that music is never going to put you in that trance like it used do. And it has nothing to do with nostalgia. The stuff just doesn't have that necessary "purity", lacking a better word.
That's actually a really interesting discussion point - does the current music have the same grab that the old music had?

I think Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are really good records. They're great bits of work, that capture their own vibe and make it into two strong, cohesive albums. I play Diamond Eyes probably every couple of months and I do the same with Koi No Yokan.

At the same time, I just don't feel as strong a connection with the songs as I do with the ones on Around The Fur, White Pony and the self-titled. Koi No Yokan's a good demonstration of this - it kind of reminds of a movie soundtrack in some ways and for what it is, I think it's really well done. But THAT is the reason why it doesn't quite match up to the three aforementioned albums. With Koi No Yokan, I'll switch it on in my house and really enjoy it; with White Pony, I'll listen to it on my headphones with my eyes closed and feel like I've been transported to another world. The former I simply enjoy listening to, the latter will put me in a trance.

That's barely a criticism I might add - literally no other band has impacted me more than Deftones have on Around The Fur, White Pony and the self-titled. I actually think it's basically impossible to keep up such perfection. I just think the days of Deftones creating that level of music on a consistent basis are probably over. It doesn't mean they won't write great albums and it doesn't mean they'll never write another album that matches up to that (maybe Gore will!) but it's not an expectation now. My expectation going into a new Deftones album is simply that it will be really good and I don't think they'll ever disappoint me on that level.
I could float here forever

worship

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 11:36 AM
I know all of their shit and I just mentioned the song Gift and everyone backed off and acted like i made it up because even the biggest nerds couldn't compete with that knowledge.

Dude, everybody knows that song.
*edit: Yeah, probably trolling.

Vesanic

I suggest you track musteatbrains' post about it all. It was as eloquent and realistic as it gets about the situation and how it's evolved until now.

RavinVsFlud

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 26, 2016, 12:13 PM

At the same time, I just don't feel as strong a connection with the songs as I do with the ones on Around The Fur, White Pony and the self-titled. Koi No Yokan's a good demonstration of this - it kind of reminds of a movie soundtrack in some ways and for what it is, I think it's really well done. But THAT is the reason why it doesn't quite match up to the three aforementioned albums. With Koi No Yokan, I'll switch it on in my house and really enjoy it; with White Pony, I'll listen to it on my headphones with my eyes closed and feel like I've been transported to another world. The former I simply enjoy listening to, the latter will put me in a trance.

People feel a stonger connection to earlier music by bands because of age. Its not 100% that the music in the later albums catalog is bad. Its that the "less of a connection" feeling is from having more life experiences, growing older, and putting into perspective the level of how much you live in "new music" as your world.

The person gets older and disconnected to the passion they once experienced of something new. Hence, the big nostalgia feeling of listening to your favorite older tracks. It's not always that the music gets worse.

Vesanic

It won't surprise anyone but that's exactly where I disagree. Having watched tons of live footage from various eras of various bands, I've seen this discussion a ridiculous amount of times. It's always the "you can't move on vs. the new music sucks". I mean, it's basic, it happens with every band, every artist, every individual rapper who goes from spitting dark shit on great productions to babble about chewing gum in the mountains on recycled beats. It's happened with Deftones everytime they released a record after Around the Fur.

The thing is, it's not universal, as RavinVSFlud hinted. It's not always the music. And it is the lack of life experiences that makes some people concentrate on the old stuff and only the old stuff, but there again, not always.

As for Deftones, I think the death of their trademark headbanging metal bassist, added to a monopoly of creative input held by the singer, actually diminished their abilities, and that Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are not solely directed to a new sound that throws some people off, they actually have something missing. A song doesn't need to be tragic or talking about how life is a pain to have a deep sounding layer. Gift might be the most positive sounding Deftones song I've ever heard, and I fucking love it. It's spontaneous, it doesn't try to match a standard, it just does what it intents to do. And it has a fucking flute, for fuck's sake.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I really like Diamond Eyes. I loved it at the release but later on realized I was just hyped to hear my favorite band again. I didn't feel a soul on it like I did with previous releases but I appreciated the stunning musical work on it. I've been to several Diamond Eyes shows and absolutely lost my shit on some of the songs. And if I don't like Koi No Yokan, it's because I think there was truly something better to be done, not because it's a happy sounding record. I love happy sounding records, when they're well made, just like dark music. I don't think Koi No Yokan was well made and composed. I think it was made way too quick, the arrangements sound too easy and some of Chino's vocal influences are way too obvious on lots of choruses. No need to call me out for this, it's my respectful, genuine opinion on the record and it's probably never changing, so don't waste your time.

(No I don't mean that Deftones songs all need flute, don't twist it)

LG95

Quote from: RavinVsFlud on Feb 26, 2016, 12:35 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Feb 26, 2016, 12:13 PM

People feel a stonger connection to earlier music by bands because of age. Its not 100% that the music in the later albums catalog is bad. Its that the "less of a connection" feeling is from having more life experiences, growing older, and putting into perspective the level of how much you live in "new music" as your world.

The person gets older and disconnected to the passion they once experienced of something new. Hence, the big nostalgia feeling of listening to your favorite older tracks. It's not always that the music gets worse.
Mate, in this case it's 100% about the music. I got into Deftones about a year or two after Saturday Night Wrist came out so it's not to do with me listening to the older albums when they came out and the nostalgia I have about that; it's simply that the early albums are fucking incredible. Around The Fur-White Pony-Deftones is my favourite three-album run by any band ever.

Again, I love DE and KNY. It's just those albums don't have the same resonance with me as the older ones do and that's entirely down to the music.
I could float here forever

RavinVsFlud

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 26, 2016, 12:46 PM
It won't surprise anyone but that's exactly where I disagree. Having watched tons of live footage from various eras of various bands, I've seen this discussion a ridiculous amount of times. It's always the "you can't move on vs. the new music sucks". I mean, it's basic, it happens with every band, every artist, every individual rapper who goes from spitting dark shit on great productions to babble about chewing gum in the mountains on recycled beats. It's happened with Deftones everytime they released a record after Around the Fur.

The thing is, it's not universal, as RavinVSFlud hinted. It's not always the music. And it is the lack of life experiences that makes some people concentrate on the old stuff and only the old stuff, but there again, not always.

As for Deftones, I think the death of their trademark headbanging metal bassist, added to a monopoly of creative input held by the singer, actually diminished their abilities, and that Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are not solely directed to a new sound that throws some people off, they actually have something missing. A song doesn't need to be tragic or talking about how life is a pain to have a deep sounding layer. Gift might be the most positive sounding Deftones song I've ever heard, and I fucking love it. It's spontaneous, it doesn't try to match a standard, it just does what it intents to do. And it has a fucking flute, for fuck's sake.

I've said it before and I'll say it again : I really like Diamond Eyes. I loved it at the release but later on realized I was just hyped to hear my favorite band again. I didn't feel a soul on it like I did with previous releases but I appreciated the stunning musical work on it. I've been to several Diamond Eyes shows and absolutely lost my shit on some of the songs. And if I don't like Koi No Yokan, it's because I think there was truly something better to be done, not because it's a happy sounding record. I love happy sounding records, when they're well made, just like dark music. I don't think Koi No Yokan was well made and composed. I think it was made way too quick, the arrangements sound too easy and some of Chino's vocal influences are way too obvious on lots of choruses. No need to call me out for this, it's my respectful, genuine opinion on the record and it's probably never changing, so don't waste your time.

(No I don't mean that Deftones songs all need flute, don't twist it)

This is a really good point. I hadn't thought of it from this perspective. Lots of good points you made here in this comment! The level of variables involved in life between the fanatic and the musicians is emmense! Including explaining the nature of how music effects us, inspiration, tone/sound, creativity, etc.

jaypayton

when i see newbie Deftones fans trying to tell me DE and KNY are their 2 heaviest albums ever made...I truly want to bitchslap them....must be what Metallica fans went through when new fans thought the Black album was their heaviest album....problem is Chino is to blame for these posers. He has conformed to the mainstream. words cant describe how much I hate Crosses and think Lopez has corrupted him...get Chino an 8 ball of blow and i guarantee you the next Tones record will be back to 2003 era

Rickety Cricket

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 26, 2016, 05:42 PM
when i see newbie Deftones fans trying to tell me DE and KNY are their 2 heaviest albums ever made...I truly want to bitchslap them....must be what Metallica fans went through when new fans thought the Black album was their heaviest album....problem is Chino is to blame for these posers. He has conformed to the mainstream. words cant describe how much I hate Crosses and think Lopez has corrupted him...get Chino an 8 ball of blow and i guarantee you the next Tones record will be back to 2003 era

I hate elitist fans like you trowing around the term poser.  What are ya, in grade school still or something.   You wouldn't know heavy even if I dropped my 100lb sack on your head.  White Pony has to be the most overrated album in Deftones catalog.  After digital bath I have to skip to Knife party and then I can listen all the way through.   

Self-Titled is the heaviest and best thing they've done and then  I'd pick Diamond Eyes.  I don't have to skip a single song on those.  Around the Fur is the same

therealdaebat

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 26, 2016, 07:23 AM
Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 26, 2016, 04:57 AMI have somthing for you to "LMAO" about. first off all poltergeist is their heaviest song and second of all as for being a new fan, you don't even know the song GIFT which is why I put that in my original post because i know how you baseheads think around here, I can predict your every move.

please go back to reddit

The fuck is that supposed to mean?
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones