Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

"kindly take your shit to the biggest cesspool"

rainnyx4

Anticipated album rankings.

Adrenaline = WP = KNY > ATF = SNW = Eros (guess) = DE = Gore (guess) > S/T

If the song lengths currently posted on the wiki are correct, there's a possibility the band took a step back from the progression they made on KNY and declined  to create those interesting intros/outros found on the previous album. Step backward in my opinion. Want to see these dudes make a true progressive masterpiece album linking songs from start to finish.

Inkblades

A couple quick points I want to make:

1. Yeah, there's just no way DE and KNY are their heaviest records. That's clearly Adrenaline and ATF. Why? Almost every song on those two albums has pummeling riffs and Chino screaming his head off for extended periods of time.

2. I also wouldn't say S/T is their heaviest album. However, I would say it's one of their darker records, along with White Pony. To me, there is a difference between a dark sound and a heavy sound.

3. V, I agree with you that KNY is the least of their albums and definitely has something missing, but can we put all the blame on Chino? Maybe some, but we also have to look at Steph for coming up with a lot of bland and uninspired riffs. I mean, he's pretty much even admitting he doesn't care about getting better and he didn't want to play on Gore.

jaypayton

i keep comparing it to Faith No More...Jim Martin was the resident metal guy in that band who wanted them to go more and more into metal..near the end when Mike Patton took over the band and pushed them into a more experimental/extreme territory, Martin just quietly did nothing, didnt write any heavy riffs, contributed nothing, and then bitched and moaned in interviews how he doesnt like the direction the band is going in and doesnt relate to the music anymore..then during live shows would just stand in the side and twiddle his wrists....he was gone within a year....its like de ja vu

therealdaebat

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 26, 2016, 07:21 PM
"kindly take your shit to the biggest cesspool"

kindly go eat a bag of dicks
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

Penicks

sorry, i'm sure those guys are way more appreciative of your amazing findings with your production grade headphones

therealdaebat

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 26, 2016, 08:18 PM
sorry, i'm sure those guys are way more appreciative of your amazing findings with your production grade headphones

Wow, this community is starting to suck. I try to share something I found and you all berate me for it.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

kurtone

Quote from: therealdaebat on Feb 26, 2016, 08:28 PM
Quote from: Penicks on Feb 26, 2016, 08:18 PM

Wow, this community is starting to suck. I try to share something I found and you all berate me for it.

Starting to?

Penicks

chill out bro, it's all one love here beside the shitposting

except for redditors tho, they can suck a dick

NYRexall

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 11:42 PM
how is it speculating? It is common knowledge Chino isnt into heavy aggressive music anymore. Have you heard Crosses? Have you heard him dismiss Adrenaline and ST in interviews from the past year or so...have you heard Palms? Hes the one guy who does an album with Isis and manages to make them sound mellow. He namedrops how much heloves beiber all the time.....the guitar player (who is known to want the band to be more metal) does an interview saying he basically hated the new album and doesnt like the direction the band is going in.  put 2 and 2 together its obvious the album will NOT be heavy and Chino is clearly the reason why....who do you think is pushing them in a new direction? Abe and Frank? or Chino? hmmmmm thats a tough one

Crosses and Palms are side projects different from the music he makes with Deftones. That's usually what a side project entails: a departure from a musician's more-familiar work. I can't see why this is so hard for you to grasp, just like I can't see 9/10ths of the posts you make as anything more than whiny bitching about a band you continue to support even though you're clearly unhappy with their direction

Royal, CMND/CTRL, Gauze, Poltergeist, Leathers, Goon Squad, Diamond Eyes, Rocket Skates, Swerve City...those are just songs from the past two albums. I'm not sure what kind of "heavy" you're looking for if stuff like this fails to register with you. It leads me to the conclusion that for such a self-professed "long-time fan", you're clearly missing the entire point of this band's music, sound, dynamic, etc.

Rickety Cricket

This is old, but any Deftones fan would enjoy this shit.   Very underrated band from Canada that broke up after this phenomenal album. 
https://youtu.be/hJdKtz3CQNk

jaypayton

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 26, 2016, 10:04 PM
Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 25, 2016, 11:42 PM
how is it speculating? It is common knowledge Chino isnt into heavy aggressive music anymore. Have you heard Crosses? Have you heard him dismiss Adrenaline and ST in interviews from the past year or so...have you heard Palms? Hes the one guy who does an album with Isis and manages to make them sound mellow. He namedrops how much heloves beiber all the time.....the guitar player (who is known to want the band to be more metal) does an interview saying he basically hated the new album and doesnt like the direction the band is going in.  put 2 and 2 together its obvious the album will NOT be heavy and Chino is clearly the reason why....who do you think is pushing them in a new direction? Abe and Frank? or Chino? hmmmmm thats a tough one

Crosses and Palms are side projects different from the music he makes with Deftones. That's usually what a side project entails: a departure from a musician's more-familiar work. I can't see why this is so hard for you to grasp, just like I can't see 9/10ths of the posts you make as anything more than whiny bitching about a band you continue to support even though you're clearly unhappy with their direction

Royal, CMND/CTRL, Gauze, Poltergeist, Leathers, Goon Squad, Diamond Eyes, Rocket Skates, Swerve City...those are just songs from the past two albums. I'm not sure what kind of "heavy" you're looking for if stuff like this fails to register with you. It leads me to the conclusion that for such a self-professed "long-time fan", you're clearly missing the entire point of this band's music, sound, dynamic, etc.

if your argument is they are just as heavy and aggressive a band now as they were 12-20 years ago....then you might be the one who is missing the dynamic of the bands music..how many times did Chino scream on KNY? once?  i know countless people who stopped listening around SNW because they thought they went soft.

Freedomsoldier17

even if they end up going in a direction i don't like i will always respect them. deftones had a great impact on my musical evolution.

AnotherVaper

I've followed the band since SNW and I like all their albums. I get that people don't always agree with the direction their band is going in, but a lot of them make an effort to get along and get into the new music. I think his comments were taken out of context and don't see him leaving the band. Looking forward to the new album. I hated hole in the earth when it came out until i realized it was deftones. I was just checking out the band at that time, so i guess chinos vocals were what threw me off. I gave it a good listen then liked it later on.

Yoi Yes Kokan

I don't get how the people don't always agree the "direction" the band is always going in, there is no direction, it's the same band, same distinctive sound and thank god they have variety because that's why everything they put it out is an A + production.

It's sad to see so many people into what's heavy and all that, they are stuck in the nu metal era of the 90's, how silly, it's sad deftones ever had to be apart of that scene, one could see clearly on adrenaline they had so much more melody and soul compared to the punk rock they were playing back then, even around the fur which I love still is a little too immature. white pony starts too be a lot more poetic and soothing, and thankfully they came back with that dark, bludgeoning sound on self titled which people hated when it came out and it was my favorite at the time. SNY was a depressing record but all of the songs were well written and Kimdracula is a stunner. Diamond Eyes was around the fur with maturity and KNY simply begs for more which hopefully will be delivered on this next record. I heard someone say they think the shorter song lengths on the new record might mean less intro/outro work, see thats a good observation rather than just jerking off about the past or how heavy they are. and yes I hope they keep those long electro intro and outro's to make you heavy metal knuckleheads wait a little longer to get your cranium pummeled.

NYRexall

Quote from: jaypayton on Feb 27, 2016, 12:05 AMif your argument is they are just as heavy and aggressive a band now as they were 12-20 years ago....then you might be the one who is missing the dynamic of the bands music..how many times did Chino scream on KNY? once?

For one, they're a completely different band than the one that was around 20 years ago. It's amazing how many out there like yourself can't get past an album that was released in 1997, ffs. Diamond Eyes and KNY were full of aggression and heaviness; that is indisputable and even a passing fan of the band would be able to see that.

White Pony was just as mellow and different in parts as SNW and KNY, and virtually nobody has a problem with that album. But everything after S/T is the band "going soft"? LoL please

I can see you're one of these goobs who thinks screaming = heaviness. Like I said, start your own 1995-style Deftones band, scream your ass off night after night over hundreds of shows, turn 43 and then come back and show us all how you can shred your vocal chords like time stands still.

Quotei know countless people who stopped listening around SNW because they thought they went soft.

Good! Fuck 'em. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If those fans can't understand or cope with a band changing/progressing/growing from album to album, then they can a.) go start their own band and see how easy it is to stay relevant, b.) go listen to the plethora of shitty music out there that falls miles short of what Deftones have accomplished over 8 albums, or c.) get fucked when they're done being simpering little bitches about how a band they support isn't living up to their expectations. Because I'm SURE those are the fans the band is trying desperately to appease from album to album, right?

sooniletugo

Chino has repeatedly said in interviews that the music isn't coming from a place of anger or depression anymore. You can't just expect them to emulate the mindset they had on the first two records or self-titled album in order to satisfy your need for 'heaviness'. Their sound will never be as monstrous and depraved as on S/T, so move on. That being said, I was surprised at how aggressive KNY could get. The melodic parts are so melodic that when the heavy part kicks in, it hits hard, without having to go full on Elite/Hexagram/WGTB. For example; Leathers, Tempest, Goon Squad.

Anyway I doubt Chino is the only one who's digging the new stuff. I'm willing to bet Sergio, and probably Frank and Abe, are totally down with it too.

Yoi Yes Kokan

and screaming? I never liked that, that's why I stayed away from metal, one could clearly see in deftones what they possessed and showed the world was that metal could have real songs.

Inkblades

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Feb 27, 2016, 02:13 AM
I don't get how the people don't always agree the "direction" the band is always going in, there is no direction

You know who disagrees with you? The lead guitarist of Deftones.

bewareofrats

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 27, 2016, 02:35 AM
White Pony was just as mellow and different in parts as SNW and KNY, and virtually nobody has a problem with that album. But everything after S/T is the band "going soft"? LoL please
Haha, yes, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  It's about time someone brought this up.  People go goo goo gaa gaa over White Pony.  Old fans consider it standard, classic Deftones and whine about later albums being soft.  It is like screaming = heavy to them, but there's about the same amount of screaming and heaviness on there as SNW.  DE and KNY aren't that far behind.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847