Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 07, 2020, 12:54 AM
There is nothing that happened, at least as far we know, that would justify another postpone.

That's the thing, though - they don't have to justify postponing it. They can put it out whenever they please and there's nothing we can do about it lol. I hope you're right about September, though. I want it in September.

By the way, the time period between Gore and this album is now the longest gap between Deftones albums ever.

Vesanic

Might have worded it wrong, what I mean is there's nothing that explains it. The initial postpone happened following the covid. The multiple postpones for SNW happened because of internal conflicts.

I don't know if there's anything of that sort here...

B_S_79

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 07, 2020, 01:25 AM
There is nothing that happened, at least as far we know, that would justify another postpone.

That's the thing, though - they don't have to justify postponing it. They can put it out whenever they please and there's nothing we can do about it lol. I hope you're right about September, though. I want it in September.

By the way, the time period between Gore and this album is now the longest gap between Deftones albums ever.

My exact thought earlier this week. "Deftones never took this long between albums.. ever."

Maybe they can release another beer in the meantime so I can black out until the album is released.

sharinglungs

Quote from: B_S_79 on Aug 07, 2020, 04:21 AM
Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 07, 2020, 01:25 AM

My exact thought earlier this week. "Deftones never took this long between albums.. ever."

Maybe they can release another beer in the meantime so I can black out until the album is released.

sounds like they might be releasing another beer, if you go to the belching beaver instagram on the Phantom Bride post they said if you like this one, wait til you see whats coming in the next few weeks

Roidragee

New beer, new album

Jackrider53

Out of curiosity What if the album leaks before its even fully announced? I mean we have gotten a couple of songs (although not the best quality) and apparently song titles and lyrics, whats to stop someone from just dropping it on the net any day now?

sharinglungs

lol Chuck liked my comment on instagram about "nice location "*******" huh? without the stars obviously.

Also, I see a facebook post where clips may have been posted, and someone got the video muted with :

"The following music has been detected in your video

"*******" by Deftones" <---- *'s being the song title we now obviously know must be the first single.

Roidragee

Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 07, 2020, 06:29 AM
lol Chuck liked my comment on instagram about "nice location "*******" huh? without the stars obviously.

Also, I see a facebook post where clips may have been posted, and someone got the video muted with :

"*******" by Deftones" <---- *'s being the song title we now obviously know must be the first single.
was it in the "DEFTONES" FB group or was it in a different group?

sharinglungs

Quote from: Roidragee on Aug 07, 2020, 06:51 AM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Aug 07, 2020, 06:29 AM

was it in the "DEFTONES" FB group or was it in a different group?

Different one, Deftones Republic. It's since been deleted.

sharinglungs

Fit for a King just released their new single and have an album release on September 18th. They're on the same label as Norma Jean.

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: LG95 on May 02, 2020, 12:41 AM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 02, 2020, 12:16 AM
Quote from: LG95 on May 01, 2020, 11:37 PM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 01, 2020, 10:45 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on May 01, 2020, 08:40 PMI'm pretty sure that clip hyped things up for fans then just like this one is doing now.
It's just my feeling, but Deftones have terrible PR team. They deserve more attention.
Don't get the criticism of their PR team. What's that based on?

Maybe "terrible" wasn't the word I should have used out there. In my opinion their communication with fans is quite weak. If that's what the guys want, then ok - maybe I don't get it. My point is - their FB/IG pages can be silent for weeks. They don't do many interviews and when they do, it contains the same questions asked again and again. I follow activities of quite a lot of bands, as most of you here. You can't deny that Deftones have a bit poor marketing, right? Maybe it's intentional...or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Many friends of mine forgot that Deftones are still around and were a bit shocked while listening to Gore. Many of them were not aware Gore is out. They were listening to Deftones a lot in the past...
It's pretty clearly intentional. They're pretty much as popular as they've ever been. Subheadlining the big metal and rock festivals and headlining others (they were due to headline Hellfest this year until coronavirus), playing arena-size venues in most places across the world. Critically, they've gained grudging respect from outlets outside of rock and metal press (something they never really had until the last decade) and Gore charted higher on its week of release than any other Deftones album, including White Pony.

What your friends are aware of is pretty irrelevant. I think by most measurements, their PR can't be doing much wrong. Whether you want more communication from them via social media is not actually a PR issue, at least in terms of where they're at now in their career.

Getting back to my post from May - their marketing and PR strategy is really weird. Now in August Im even more sure about that.

Gaz

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Aug 07, 2020, 12:17 PM
Quote from: LG95 on May 02, 2020, 12:41 AM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 02, 2020, 12:16 AM
Quote from: LG95 on May 01, 2020, 11:37 PM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 01, 2020, 10:45 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on May 01, 2020, 08:40 PMI'm pretty sure that clip hyped things up for fans then just like this one is doing now.
It's just my feeling, but Deftones have terrible PR team. They deserve more attention.
Don't get the criticism of their PR team. What's that based on?

Maybe "terrible" wasn't the word I should have used out there. In my opinion their communication with fans is quite weak. If that's what the guys want, then ok - maybe I don't get it. My point is - their FB/IG pages can be silent for weeks. They don't do many interviews and when they do, it contains the same questions asked again and again. I follow activities of quite a lot of bands, as most of you here. You can't deny that Deftones have a bit poor marketing, right? Maybe it's intentional...or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Many friends of mine forgot that Deftones are still around and were a bit shocked while listening to Gore. Many of them were not aware Gore is out. They were listening to Deftones a lot in the past...
It's pretty clearly intentional. They're pretty much as popular as they've ever been. Subheadlining the big metal and rock festivals and headlining others (they were due to headline Hellfest this year until coronavirus), playing arena-size venues in most places across the world. Critically, they've gained grudging respect from outlets outside of rock and metal press (something they never really had until the last decade) and Gore charted higher on its week of release than any other Deftones album, including White Pony.

What your friends are aware of is pretty irrelevant. I think by most measurements, their PR can't be doing much wrong. Whether you want more communication from them via social media is not actually a PR issue, at least in terms of where they're at now in their career.

Getting back to my post from May - their marketing and PR strategy is really weird. Now in August Im even more sure about that.

I agree with you, the way the band are marketed is pretty poor, but maybe it's at the request of the band themselves? they understand their audience and know that there is a hardcore following. You have to remember the costs involved in marketing and PR, in this current climate with the band not touring, as thats how they make most of their money these days, it's probably not a wise decision financially to go all aggressive on the hype.

Vesanic

I don't think any of us has ever worked for an internationally famous metal band?

Sleeping_Giant

Yes, but it is not requiring any special, extraordinary skills. Besides that - we can easily compare DT marketing to other internationally famous metal band.

Vesanic

I think the band calls most of the shots. They definitely earned that imo.

Sleeping_Giant

By the way, no ass-licking, but you are doing much more and better marketing in the internet for them than their PR Team...

Vesanic

Haha thanks mate. I appreciate that. I've had my own frustrations given the amount of work I put in, often thinking I'd probably do a better job. Over time I understood that's just my perspective, my opinion. Even if I was "right", I'm still not the one putting the official work in, it's not my place to judge or say what needs to be improved.

DEF_RICHIE

Not sure if anyone saw/posted this but Deftones gonna have 2 beers this year? September looks like a White Pony release. Maybe the December one is going to be for the Black Stallion album???  Here's the link... Hopefully they surprise us with a new album one soon.

https://belchingbeaver.com/Oceanside-Belching-Beaver-Landing-beer

Inkblades

Black Stallion in December maybe?

Inkblades

My final prediction: single and album announcement in mid to late August, new album in October and then Black Stallion in December.