Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: RadioFriendlyUnitShifter on Aug 20, 2020, 06:20 PM
First impressions:  Vocally it's Chino in his safe zone (I'll never complain about his vocals... ever). I dig the lyrics. Musically the bass and drums sound Deftones, but Steph definitely experiments with new sounds which is exciting. I didn't catch much from Frank, honestly, but may have missed it.

It isn't a mind blowing song, but I wouldn't quite call it "safe" bc of that guitar. It makes perfect sense as a first single... despite it being a closer which is a weird choice. All in all, I really like it, and will be playing the shit out of it... but most excited to hear what's next.

I agree with all of this. Definitely a good choice to get you excited about the rest of the album.

LG95

Quote from: Iwazaru on Aug 20, 2020, 06:08 PM
I was prepared for something far heavier since the album had been advertized as such compared to the 2010's releases. Not gonna make any more assumptions until the album release so I don't disappoint myself from too much hype.
Who advertised the album as heavy?

Twenty years after White Pony and people are still getting hung up on "is it heavy?", as if they've never listened to Deftones before. Not having a go at you particularly, but a few people are going in with that question/expectation and they inevitably end up disappointed when it's not 'heavy' enough for them. Happens every album.

And eventually they go back and realise the record is great. See S/T and SNW. See even White Pony - there were fans who thought that record was too soft, didn't have enough screaming etc. Which is obviously mental but that's what having too many stylistic expectations can do.
I could float here forever

geraavl08

Did anyone else get Mastodon vibes with the outro of the song

nicklav

I hear Devin Townsend in the opening riff. Life off of Ocean Machine to be exact

FatherUppercut

I like a few heavy tracks scattered about. I think Chino said he isn't into that as much anymore in an interview a few years ago.

I think they have to fill a heavy metal quota to keep Steph around

Iwazaru

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 06:24 PM
I was prepared for something far heavier since the album had been advertized as such compared to the 2010's releases. Not gonna make any more assumptions until the album release so I don't disappoint myself from too much hype.

Twenty years after White Pony and people are still getting hung up on "is it heavy?", as if they've never listened to Deftones before. Not having a go at you particularly, but a few people are going in with that question/expectation and they inevitably end up disappointed when it's not 'heavy' enough for them. Happens every album.

And eventually they go back and realise the record is great. See S/T and SNW. See even White Pony - there were fans who thought that record was too soft, didn't have enough screaming etc. Which is obviously mental but that's what having too many stylistic expectations can do.
I was gonna say it comes from comments made by Chino in the press months ago, but I double checked and it actually is two years old:
QuoteIn May 2018, Moreno was again asked about the new material and he stated the songs were "considerably heavier" than those on Gore.[101]
So yeah, the blame is totally on me for this since back then the album wasn't formed at all and they were just doing demos. I think I just accepted naively that the album would be heavier than the last three ones and followed that line of beliefs.

Draken

Dammit, didn't think there'd be any news today. I was expecting MAYBE Friday. Still awesome to come back to some official news finally.

I KNEW the first single would be called Ohms, I should've called it.

Matthewtheloser

I was just about to comment this, but it looks like LG95 beat me to it. Was the album ever said to necessarily be more heavy? They said it was going to have more involvement from Stef, and I think this song definitely reflects that. It's all centered around the guitar.

LG95

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 20, 2020, 06:31 PM
I was just about to comment this, but it looks like LG95 beat me to it. Was the album ever said to necessarily be more heavy? They said it was going to have more involvement from Stef, and I think this song definitely reflects that. It's all centered around the guitar.
Also - a reminder that Stef wrote Mascara and Entombed. He can mellow with the best of them 😂
I could float here forever

buflen

Quote from: Iwazaru on Aug 20, 2020, 06:29 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 06:24 PM

I was gonna say it comes from comments made by Chino in the press months ago, but I double checked and it actually is two years old:
QuoteIn May 2018, Moreno was again asked about the new material and he stated the songs were "considerably heavier" than those on Gore.[101]
So yeah, the blame is totally on me for this since back then the album wasn't formed at all and they were just doing demos. I think I just accepted naively that the album would be heavier than the last three ones and followed that line of beliefs.
I have not heard the other leaks, but this is 1 song. and its the closer of the album. The closer is rarely the heaviest track of a deftones album. I'm just glad the production is good again.

Matthewtheloser

I do want to give a shoutout to Sergio on this song though. The way the bass and guitar follow each other at the 7/8 part all the way until the end sounds killer.

Iwazaru

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 20, 2020, 06:31 PM
Also - a reminder that Stef wrote Mascara and Entombed. He can mellow with the best of them 😂
Entombed is one of my favs from Koi, if he does something of its level or even better on Ohms i'll be delighted.

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 06:36 PM
I have not heard the other leaks, but this is 1 song. and its the closer of the album. The closer is rarely the heaviest track of a deftones album. I'm just glad the production is good again.
Yeah, I've only heard it from youtube for now but I'll listen to it loseless at midnight. But I can already tell that it shows Terry is back on the team.

Gaz

It's a good song for them to potentially get some more radio play (I know that isn't important anymore) but I could deffo see BBC 6 Music here in the UK playing Ohms, Mary Anne Hobs usually plays Deftones tracks on her daytime show

Iwazaru

I can more or less picture why this song is the album's closer. It has some sort of "epilogue" feel to it, if that makes any sense.

buflen

the only thing i'm disappointed is the fact it's the album closer. I usually prefer my closer to be longer, more epic and anthemic. But i love the song, if everything else is of. the same quality, I'll be happy.

Vanby

I'm really digging this. As with most things Deftones - it sounds like Deftones. But it doesn't quite sound the same as anything else they've done. They're one of the few bands out there that does well to evolve their sound while still sounding like themselves and not alienating their existing fanbase. 

elite54

It's alright. Not that big of a fan of the bubbly guitar riff.

Shells

Quote from: Gaz on Aug 20, 2020, 06:39 PM
It's a good song for them to potentially get some more radio play (I know that isn't important anymore) but I could deffo see BBC 6 Music here in the UK playing Ohms, Mary Anne Hobs usually plays Deftones tracks on her daytime show

I created an account  just so I could say yeeeeeessss love it when Mary Anne Hobbs plays a Deftones tune in the afternoon! Always loads of love for it on Twitter.

I've been really enjoying following the hype on here this week, keep it up you funny bunch! Counting down til midnight BST!

macalmx

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 06:48 PM
the only thing i'm disappointed is the fact it's the album closer. I usually prefer my closer to be longer, more epic and anthemic. But i love the song, if everything else is of. the same quality, I'll be happy.

they set the bar way too high with Rubicon

FatherUppercut

hah, i just realized, I should be seeing Deftones tonight in Jersey. I guess a new single is an ok 2nd place trophy  :-\