Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draken

honeybeewu

Quote from: nicklav on Aug 20, 2020, 07:12 PM
Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 20, 2020, 07:06 PM
Quote from: Gaz on Aug 20, 2020, 07:01 PM
It's more KNY sounding for me
The "throoouuuggghhh" part at around 1:05 is kind of reminiscent to something on KNY for sure.

That part sounds like Future Warrior from the Palms album.

NAILED IT!

LG95

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 08:30 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM
Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.
Having a different opinion doesn't mean he's wrong. TBH I wasn't completely disagreeing with everything he said on his Gore review.
Not talking about a difference of opinion though. You can like or dislike something as is your right. I'm saying I find a lot of his rock and metal reviews to be missing the mark in terms of what he focuses on, what he criticises, even what he praises, and I think he often shows a lack of understanding about what a lot of these bands are actually aiming for.
I could float here forever

Draken

That's why I don't watch his reviews anymore,unless I'm just curious to know his take. I mean, he does repeatedly state that it's his opinion, and I agree with you on his lack of... I guess understanding the music? idk, some of the stuff he praises is not that great imo. He clearly isn't a fan of this type of music, it all depends where you lean more towards that shapes your individual opinions.

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:46 PM
Fantano's an easy target but his rock and metal review are so often way off point, I can't really take him seriously with those bands. It surprises me he actually appreciates a great band like Code Orange because I find he's rarely on point with most other heavy stuff.
Having a different opinion doesn't mean he's wrong. TBH I wasn't completely disagreeing with everything he said on his Gore review.
Not talking about a difference of opinion though. You can like or dislike something as is your right. I'm saying I find a lot of his rock and metal reviews to be missing the mark in terms of what he focuses on, what he criticises, even what he praises, and I think he often shows a lack of understanding about what a lot of these bands are actually aiming for.

thatdeftkid

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 08:38 PM
Quote from: thatdeftkid on Aug 20, 2020, 08:36 PM
How cool would it be for Chino to start singing his old screaming parts in the same style as he does on Ohms?
so where is that nature cover art?

When did I say that?

Draken

Hidalgo

cool song Ohms is. i got a little cky feel from some of the riffs

Inkblades

Nice to see some of the longtime posters popping up - welcome, welcome!

Draken

"Album comes out on 9/25. Singles will be released this Friday and 9/4. Album artwork has nothing to do with eyes."

"Beach related is close"

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Aug 20, 2020, 08:58 PM
How cool would it be for Chino to start singing his old screaming parts in the same style as he does on Ohms?

When did I say that?

Matthewtheloser

Quote from: Draken on Aug 20, 2020, 08:53 PM
That's why I don't watch his reviews anymore,unless I'm just curious to know his take. I mean, he does repeatedly state that it's his opinion, and I agree with you on his lack of... I guess understanding the music? idk, some of the stuff he praises is not that great imo. He clearly isn't a fan of this type of music, it all depends where you lean more towards that shapes your individual opinions.

Quote from: LG95 on Aug 20, 2020, 08:46 PM
He's a fan of plenty of heavy bands. He rates/has rated bands like Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Napalm Death, Daughters, and Nails pretty highly and consistently highly. But he has equally as many takes, specifically when it comes to heavy music, where I'm left kind of confused by how he came to certain conclusions. That being said, those bands are very different to Deftones of course, and he's never been extremely kind to Deftones in his reviews lol. Not that he hates them as far as I know, he's mentioned how he likes SNW in one of his reviews. I don't this track is going to do it for him though lol.

ConcealingFate92

Guys, i'm weak. I couldn't wait anymore and finally listened to it and... Ohhh fuck me it's so GOOD!

Terry Date is finally back and you can clearly listen to it in the production/mix. It's unbelievable how he brings the best of Deftones, and I know it's only one song but it feels more "Deftones" than anything from Gore or KNY.

Also, I definitely hear how this song sounds like something from S/T or SNW era, and it's mainly because of Chino. Now, y'all see, since Diamond Eyes I felt that he slowly  embraced the singing part of his voice and discarded the "performance" aspect of it. Here it seems he's finally mixing them both again and it sounds so freaking good.
Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

Draken

He shat all over Acid Hologram, which is my favorite song from Gore. Therefore, I take what Fantano says with a grain of salt.

punkflop01

20 minutes until it's midnight here!  Really torn about whether to listen to it when I get the full album especially since it's the final track on the album. Would it more sense to listen to it in that context versus listening to it as a single? But damn 25th Sept is a ways away. Goddamnit Deftones!

Vesanic

I find myself disagreeing with Fantano very often. I can't believe his review on HUM's latest.

ozzcar

Looking at the album art, the art of the deftones / gojira tour doesn't come to mind, this other image of Chi Cheng comes to mind

:o

buflen

TBH, anything with eyes, which is 99.9% of humans, could come to mind.

thatdeftkid

Quote from: Draken on Aug 20, 2020, 09:06 PM
"Album comes out on 9/25. Singles will be released this Friday and 9/4. Album artwork has nothing to do with eyes."

"Beach related is close"

Quote from: thatdeftkid on Aug 20, 2020, 08:58 PM

When did I say that?

Not referring to cover art.

punkflop01

Quote from: buflen on Aug 20, 2020, 09:14 PM
TBH, anything with eyes, which is 99.9% of humans, could come to mind.

Haha!

Inkblades

When I was in my teens and 20's, I gravitated towards their darker, moodier sounding stuff - probably why ATF, WP and S/T have always been my favorite albums from them. I'll still always crave that sound, but now that I'm in my 30's and with the current shit state of the world, I do appreciate the upbeat vibe going on here. The riffs kinda makes me feel like I'm flying.

My only criticism with Ohms is it feels like it needs one more passage to make it feel a bit more epic and push it over the top. It would have been cool if it had a second bridge where the guitars dropped out for a moment so the synths and drums could get some time to shine (yeah, a breakdown lol). Overall, it's a solid song, but I do still kind of feel that it's "minor" Deftones.

Draken

yeah that picture matched up with Abe pretty well too