Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Slipknot thread

Started by Infected Mushroom, May 29, 2005, 01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whodunit?

they're good. the album is just a proof of that.

but I'm interested in much more sophisticated music now.

emotivelotion

Quote from: whodunit? on Sep 04, 2008, 09:13 PM

like what?

whodunit?

Quote from: emotivelotion on Sep 04, 2008, 09:44 PM
Quote from: whodunit? on Sep 04, 2008, 09:13 PM

like what?

hey mang. what's up?

fusion
prog rock
symphonic metal

theis

"all hope is gone" is really fucking laughable.

heavy "tough guy attitude verse + boy band chorus = Slipknot". pure shite.

oldgentlovecraft

Ahh Theis, no!  You can't think it's that bad, eh?

Jacob

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Sep 04, 2008, 10:59 PM

there's really no point in making posts like that, is there?

that said, I agree that they use an old and tested formula, but they manage to do it good once in a while. pretty much all modern music can be dissected and classified like that. and that doesn't automatically make it bad.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Deftonesaddict

i can't get into this album at all and i've been a huge fan since the mfkr days. only good songs: gematria, this cold black and psychosocial

theis

Quote from: aenemic on Sep 05, 2008, 01:15 PM

uh yes there is. this is a slipknot discussion thread. i'm sharing my thoughts on the album. i can say whatever the hell i want to.

deathblow

Slipknot is absolutely terrible,   if you want good prog death metal with a fucking sick message ,   check out Gojira , their first album , Terra Incognita , and The Link , their second album... their third album from mars to sirius im sure youve all heard of, and its different than the first two, still unique like gojira, but not as straight forward. 
Gojira is progressive, groovy as fuck, and heavy with a really positive message. its technical, understandable , and not too fast. all around an amazing band.

here's some youtube...

Rememberance (the Link) - from the Link alive DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6lmvH5Xeg&feature=related

In The forest (terra incognita)- from the Link alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucz74xS7Fcg

The heaviest matter in the universe (From mars to sirius) - some newer footage (relatively)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8L2bZVA2Jc

its bands like this, meshuggah, nile, etc. that make me feel slipknot is a sloppy marketed piece of junk with nothing really unique to offer except trash cans and a dj, which ive never really noticed doing all that much...

emotivelotion

l0lz gojira is tight tho and too heavy for my industrial ass ill keep on mass hysteria speaking of franchute stuff

whodunit?

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Sep 05, 2008, 03:35 PM

uh yes there is. this is a slipknot discussion thread. i'm sharing my thoughts on the album. i can say whatever the hell i want to.

Is brandon boyd gay?

theis

was that supposed to be a comeback?

Deftones-88-05-Deftones

Quote from: deathblow on Sep 05, 2008, 08:23 PM
Slipknot is absolutely terrible,   if you want good prog death metal with a fucking sick message ,   check out Gojira , their first album , Terra Incognita , and The Link , their second album... their third album from mars to sirius im sure youve all heard of, and its different than the first two, still unique like gojira, but not as straight forward. 
Gojira is progressive, groovy as fuck, and heavy with a really positive message. its technical, understandable , and not too fast. all around an amazing band.

here's some youtube...

Rememberance (the Link) - from the Link alive DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6lmvH5Xeg&feature=related

In The forest (terra incognita)- from the Link alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucz74xS7Fcg

The heaviest matter in the universe (From mars to sirius) - some newer footage (relatively)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8L2bZVA2Jc

its bands like this, meshuggah, nile, etc. that make me feel slipknot is a sloppy marketed piece of junk with nothing really unique to offer except trash cans and a dj, which ive never really noticed doing all that much...

And that shitty band is better? LOL Is on the same shit level.
" You are just Disconnected, Apathetic It must be so pathetic to be this frantic You are just Like methadone for an addict  "   Mark Hunter

" Im gonna see you bleeding Face down in the dirt Im gonna give you back what Youve taken with hurt You coward Im going to spit right in your face" Rob Flynn

Jacob

that's pretty fucking immature dude.

yeah, you can say whatever you want and I'm all for free speech etc. but don't try to tell me you wanted any kind of giving conversation about Slipknot with a post like that. that's what I tried to point out. and then you get all angry. clearly you just want to be an asshole.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

deathblow

Quote from: Deftones-88-05-Deftones on Sep 06, 2008, 03:39 PM

well, metal fails to impress me, gojira is one of the few bands that has. if you have suggestions please do show me some good metal... instead of being a complete dink. 

theis

Quote from: aenemic on Sep 06, 2008, 06:11 PM

that's pretty fucking immature dude.

yeah, you can say whatever you want and I'm all for free speech etc. but don't try to tell me you wanted any kind of giving conversation about Slipknot with a post like that. that's what I tried to point out. and then you get all angry. clearly you just want to be an asshole.

haha. c'mon now. i'm not trying to be an asshole. i just really fucking hate slipknot.

cyppe101

slipknot has OK songs.. But, the band sucks my nuts all day long, just because they suck so much and their stupid fucking masks are really really stupid.

ps. corey is a homo.

pps. the term "maggot" is the gayest thing ever.. sry "MaGgOtS4LiFe" ppl.

theshadeisatool

I would like to think I have an OK taste in music, Deftones being my favourite band and I have a wide ranging, varying taste from anything such as ambient,shoegaze, classical, industrial, etc. I make no apologies though for liking Slipknot and I am 21, not 13. My reasons:

I appreciate that Slipknot occasionally, or often, seems somewhat immature, unsophistocated in terms of lyrics, Corey's vocal style or music and i can see that side of the argument presented above.

I would like to stick up for the band though becuase Slipknot is what it is and they do what they do well.Catchy tunes, you could say pop, albeit with in more extreme (though not comparef to the likes of SYL or Gojira, etc.) metal/rock context.

To be fair, prior to such releases as Slipknot and Iowa (1999 and 2001 time period) and just ignoring a few great underground metal bands, mainstream metal in the late 1990s and earliy 2000s was up shit creek. Machine Head went nu metal for example, Pantera did OK with Reinventing The Steel, but shite like Limp Bizkit was dominant.

Despite the slating of Slipknot I've read countless reviews, affirming my own thoughts that Slipknot and similar bands made heavier more traditional riffs more viable, ressurected it if you will. To me, metal and alternative music in general seems a lot more healthier than it was. And to give Slipknot their due they have always done something different with each album, and pushed the envelope.

But as said they have had a fanbase that extends back into the pre-teen age group for a long time now. And that considered they don't make the worse music in the world. At least give them that!

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: deathblow on Sep 06, 2008, 07:50 PM
Quote from: Deftones-88-05-Deftones on Sep 06, 2008, 03:39 PM

well, metal fails to impress me, gojira is one of the few bands that has. if you have suggestions please do show me some good metal... instead of being a complete dink. 

Depends on what you like.

deathblow

im open minded, i'm mainly attracted to progressive approaches to metal, intense, driven, unified, technical, brutal, slow or fast, melodic or not, w/e. as long as they are a good metal band with a good vision, Cynic, Death, Strapping young lad, nile, necrophagist, meshuggah, etc. i am also really impressed with.
im not much of a metal listener, but i do know Slipknot fucking sucks balls.
my favourite band is Mr.Bungle, who slipknot ripped RIGHT off...