Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vida_mae

uhh, what does being german have to do with that?!

Moz La Punk

vida_mae

oh yeah, hitler was a taurus. .. but some say he was an aries.. its a really hot astrological topic.

wharf rat

Quote from: vida_mae on Mar 30, 2006, 12:19 AM
uhh, what does being german have to do with that?!

German people love the poopin.

Moz La Punk

vida_mae

ew. sick. what the hells wrong with german people these days.

4th Eye

Quote from: BigDave on Mar 29, 2006, 09:39 PM@4th, its pretty hard going but keep going, you will be rewarded.  i have to do an essay on it too next week.  whats your essay?

Yeah, if I have to read a book for school, it's such a turn off. I procrastinate so much. But I don't know how I'd manage it voluntary either, been really lazy with the books lately.

The essay is just an overall look on the book's ideologies and my view on them. General philosophy course...

BigDave

doesn't sound too bad, i have to do one on the 5th chapter 'towards a natural history of morals', assessing it and shit.

ChickdelaLynch

I finished The Grapes of Wrath last night. Two things:

1.) It was an anti-climax.

2.) Why end it that way? I was disturbed for about twenty minutes and I'm still disturbed.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Read: The Illustrated Man by Bradbury.

Reading: The Gods Themselves by Asimov (my freaking hero)

BigDave

i'm reading 'the acid house' by irvine welsh.

tarkil

I finished Palanihuk Fight Club few time ago... Awesome book... Palanhiuk's best one IMO.
Now I'm reading a french book from Maurice Dantec called "Dieu porte t'il des lunettes noires ?" which could be translated by "Does God wear black glasses ?".

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

vida_mae

Quote from: ChickdelaLynch on Mar 31, 2006, 09:27 AM

2.) Why end it that way? I was disturbed for about twenty minutes and I'm still disturbed.

why read it when you could watch the movie.

vida_mae

Quote from: tarkil on Apr 02, 2006, 02:41 PM
I finished Palanihuk Fight Club few time ago... Awesome book... Palanhiuk's best one IMO.
Now I'm reading a french book from Maurice Dantec called "Dieu porte t'il des lunettes noires ?" which could be translated by "Does God wear black glasses ?".

like i said, why read it when you can make a movie, whoops, i mean get the camera, whoops i mean watch the movie...

ChickdelaLynch

Quote from: vida_mae on Apr 03, 2006, 04:30 AM
Quote from: ChickdelaLynch on Mar 31, 2006, 09:27 AM

why read it when you could watch the movie.

It was for school. That, and the book tends to be better than the film.

tarkil

Yeah, books are always 100000000 times better than associated mlovies because you can create the images you want instreead of just looking at someone else's representation... That, and the fact that the book is the "original" media, so it's the exact artist's way of expressing things...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Mascara Snake

just finished reading 'Shakey' the biography of Neil Young, pretty good book about an inspirational guy!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

vida_mae

Quote from: tarkil on Apr 03, 2006, 11:05 AM
Yeah, books are always 100000000 times better than associated mlovies because you can create the images you want instreead of just looking at someone else's representation... That, and the fact that the book is the "original" media, so it's the exact artist's way of expressing things...

well duh. obviously we all no that books are usually diff from the movies.. im just saying.. for a class, i know i would so rent the movie... and get on with my life. And i  think i just would watch of movie of a book, and use my time finding and reading other books that are interesting.. i think maybe i have attention deficit disorder, im always on the search for the new best thing...

Jizzlobber

always reading a few books.

Finished the Dark Tower series too. brilliant, wonder if a movie rendition will come out. also reading Leonardo Da Vinci : the flights of the mind, and Robert Masons ChickenHawk.

<

HeyVanity

I didn't read through every single page of this thread, only a few, so I apologize if I'm reiterating, but:

I read Memoirs of a Geisha a while ago and absolutely loved it - and the movie was for the most part, true to the book.

But dude, that girl doesn't seem like she speaks much english. It was ridiculous. She didn't sound like she had any idea what she was really saying. It definitely should've been filmed in Japanese. It ruined the movie. For me. Is this just me being nitpicky?

Ok. That's all.