Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 04, 2013, 02:37 PM
Oh wow, yep that is pretty offensive

I really don't see how.

In fact, I like it so much that I would've bought one if I wasn't so damn poor at the moment.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

deftones47

As one with a sick sense of humor, I'm not really offended either.

M1GHTY M4VS

Quote from: Jacob on Dec 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Dec 04, 2013, 02:37 PM
Oh wow, yep that is pretty offensive

I really don't see how.

In fact, I like it so much that I would've bought one if I wasn't so damn poor at the moment.

They say they implicite history on this but take it from whatever perspective, it is offensive as it discriminates (or better remind of massive genocide of ethnics rather than an even fight). The Minority of the Native Americans that got rotten out by the Native Settlers would still argue that this is very offensive in particular as it just shows an unarmed women praising food due to threat which is alone a no go for such things). Insert whatever if you don't feel offended, if you would be jewish or muslim you would riot if this was one of them these days. It is really not necessary to display such a disgrace of portrayed racism for a band as mastodon whether they think it's sarcastic or funny despite it showed partially controversial truth such as robbery and harm to life actions.
Insert whatever you like to whatever you hate and you'll find the answer why it is not appropriate to promote stuff, why to bash other cultures or groups just because of their origin. It wasn't for their actions or opinions, they just were in a place where conquerers took their freedom because those were seeking their "New Life in a New World". It did happen of course nobody is argueing on this but what has the band to do with it, it wasn't bound to a trusty statement or worthy opinion nor any logical educational aim. It was just the bands merch to sell and choosen motive of historical events. They could've gone with a rapture picture even. And seeing this with what happened on another aquation with the pedophile from Lost Prophets not long ago they could even have chosen such a design because it is historical accurate and they think it's funny or worth mentioning.
See how much people pull this into the prp comments already. Just because you don't feel offended doesn't mean it suits the general conduct, they messed up on the shirt, they could have taken out the gun, gave the settler a huge fat stomach and make the native unhealthy thin with bones on plate and would still show it less dramatized as it shows the process in a less martial but more enduring process.

bright lights, big city

Well said, MAVS. I'm not a Native American or anything, but you just have to acknowledge that something like that could be construed as racist  to whoever the gun was pointed at.

It's interesting that they did this this year, while all shit the NFL is finally getting for the Washington Redskins. I mean talk Native American racism has been in the news here for months now.

That said, the shirt is historically accurate, as pointed out on theprp.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

bright lights, big city

DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Could anyone rip it? :( The link was erased :'(

lftpp

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Apr 17, 2014, 02:31 AM
links are being taken down by WB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdSlmQD2Qs
if its gone just use youtube and sort by upload date

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: lftpp on Apr 17, 2014, 04:14 AM
Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Apr 17, 2014, 02:31 AM
links are being taken down by WB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdSlmQD2Qs
if its gone just use youtube and sort by upload date

Thanks! :D Ripping it off with Real Player.

N0S3BLEED976

Yeah, amazing piece of shit in my opinion. This is just bland

bright lights, big city

Maybe I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but my hopes are high since I grew to enjoy The Hunter. And I really like the chorus here.

Also I'm in need of a great metal album after not caring for Killer Be Killed, Floor, and new Whitechapel. 2014 hasn't been memorable for metal yet.
DERP

Crazylegs

Good tune, but i fear i'll never be excited by a new mastodon release ever again.

deftones47

Hooray for new Mastodon material! Good song. Can't wait for the album!

Jacob

RIP, Mastodon.

deftones47

bright lights, big city

Not surprising. And again, the age old question: why can't bands evolve their sound?
DERP

bright lights, big city

Perhaps at least we can all agree that the album art is hella cool.

DERP

Jacob

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 28, 2014, 10:31 PM
Not surprising. And again, the age old question: why can't bands evolve their sound?

I love when bands evolve their sound, but Mastodon is to me a classic example where a band goes from having a completely unique sound, where they show a lot of originality, musicianship and not least variation, to a simpler sound where they start sounding like many other bands already do.