Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Sensation is definitely my favorite from the EP so far. I like the upbeat stuff like Vivien too but when Chino gets in his dark, moody bag (and dream pop bag on the chorus), he's unbeatable.

Inkblades

My stab at the Sensation lyrics:

Don't wanna be here in the dark
But I believe I'll always be
I open the cage to my heart
I try to see what's in front of me

I'm climbing out of an opaque town
From the bottom
They sing of fervor rising

Woke up to the sound of your heart
Drowning, drowning a holy sound

You and I, we're safe from the fumes
Warm inside our shells
One day our fates will collide
Our love will be expelled

Don't wanna be here in the dark
But I believe I'll always be
Climbed over the gates to your heart
I like to see what's in front of me

Roaming out of this opaque town
At the top now, facing a fervor rising

Wake up to the sound of our hearts

Warm inside our shells
One days our fates will collide

Love will be expelled (x3)

Warm inside our shells
One days our fates will collide

Love will be expelled (x3)

nicklav

Man, this song is so good. The production is just on another level. It feels so heavy.

GlimmeringMaggit

Yeah Shaun's killing it.

Another really cool track. I really dig the second part of the verse melody ("I'm climbing out of an opaque town, from the bottom..."), the way it drops down in such a cool way. Neat rhythm to those lines too -- Chino's always been great at that and part of why he subtly gets those hooks under your skin. All the emphasis on the off-beat notes there..."I'm climbing OUT of an opaque TOWN ". Good shit.

Man I do wish we were getting a full album though, not an EP. I want forty five minutes of this.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

I think there will be more music next year because Chino said there is more than an album's worth. Probably another EP or maybe more two-song drops. The question is just when lol.

But until then you can make a 10-song playlist with Initiation/Protection, the EP and the two cover songs they did to hold you over. That's what I'm gonna do.

GlimmeringMaggit

True

Quote from: Inkblades on Nov 18, 2022, 05:09 PM
I think the only lyric you got wrong btw was this. I'm pretty sure it's droning, not drowning.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

Yup, that's it. I got "They sing of fervor rising" wrong too, it's "Facing a blurred horizon".

GlimmeringMaggit

That's a great read. So looking forward to this.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

A couple of things to note:

- Chuck not being in the band anymore is addressed. He and Shaun were having creative and personal differences and Chino, being friends with both, got caught in the middle. My thought on that is it happens between collaborators all the time. No one should be blamed - sometimes people just don't see eye to eye and need to go their separate ways.

-  I remember Holier being played on Mixlr. Just wait until you hear that one.

- We already knew this, but as Chino says, the EP is just "scratching the surface" of the new material. 2023 finna be lit.

plagasx

Out of curiosity, how would you describe Holier? Is it dark like Initiation, Vivien and Sensation?

I tend to lean towards the darker side of Crosses which is why I didn't really care for Day One.

Inkblades

I remember it being very melancholy and very spacey. Kinda took me back to that 00's Team Sleep/SNW era when I heard it. Also synth heavy and with hard drums, as the article notes - think Xerces or TS's Appollonia. Not trying to hype it up too much but it was my favorite of what he played.

plagasx

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 01, 2022, 02:24 AM
I remember it being very melancholy and very spacey. Kinda took me back to that 00's Team Sleep/SNW era when I heard it. Also synth heavy and with hard drums, as the article notes - think Xerces or TS's Appollonia. Not trying to hype it up too much but it was my favorite of what he played.

Xerces...

Inkblades

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cloc83oD8F0/

Bunch of studio snippets here, who knows what will be on the EP but they sound really cool - loving the haunted sound of the first clip.

Inkblades

plagasx

Quote from: Inkblades on Dec 02, 2022, 07:45 PM
Holier snippet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClrJkoRuzns/

Haha, beat me to it. I was actually going to ask you if it's Holier. Definitely fits your description so far. Loving it.

Inkblades

Here's a well-written review of the EP. There's a couple other reviews out there but this one stood out to me the most...

https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0%E2%80%A0-crosses-permanent-radiant/

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

GlimmeringMaggit

Formerly LG95