Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Saturday Night Wrist Review/Interview List

Started by Subliminal, Oct 29, 2006, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

333tone

Quote from: Chrisbo on Oct 30, 2006, 11:08 AM
Good one man! You should add the 9/10 Rock Sound review to the reviews list, and the MH article (although I suppose there's not much to do with SNW in that).
i bought yesterday RS, and i was a little worried with the last comment("this album is excellent, this album is probably their last"). but then i saw that they had Black Parade as album of the month, and i felt huge relief!!

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Swords

Quote from: 333tone on Oct 31, 2006, 09:34 PM
Good one man! You should add the 9/10 Rock Sound review to the reviews list, and the MH article (although I suppose there's not much to do with SNW in that).
i bought yesterday RS, and i was a little worried with the last comment("this album is excellent, this album is probably their last"). but then i saw that they had Black Parade as album of the month, and i felt huge relief!!

HAHAHA!  ;D
FYIHYD

Deft One

A great thread. I've just been reading the user comments on Blabbermouth and some of these people are absolute morons. A few people have given the cd 1 out of 10 because they don't like the cd's reviewer!

QuoteThis is some faux nu-metal emo mallcore fecal matter manufactured for teeny boppers to jumpdafuckup while wearing there hoodies and sneakers. all hot-topic-core bands = automatic one.

Words simply fail me, I really can't think of words to appropriately express what a stupid comment the above is. A few more stupid posts saying the tones are too artsy and pretentious finishing with:
Quotedeftones sucks really bad
have left me really considering joining the site to first correct the last poster (if he's going to diss the band he can at least do it properly "deftones suck really badly" Its not really that complicated he's only got four words to write bless him)  and then tell the rest how utterly stupid it is to rate a cd before listening to it!

.............ahhhh I feel better now :)

Once again Subliminal great thread ;)

slyartwork

For Dutch people.. review: find it here:
http://www.3voor12.nl/artikelen/artikel/31014188

Saai, eentonig. Zo noem je een herkenbaar geluid als je het niet je ding is. En je kunt het trucje uithalen met zo'n beetje elke band. Magic Numbers dreutelt maar voort, Korn kan niet anders dan afbladderende basgeluiden blazen, Tool maakte alweer zo'n epos, Arctic Monkeys is de zoveelste britpophype. Wat niet altijd lukt, is een band herkennen, uit duizenden, omdat het saaie, eentonige geluid is geevolueerd tot een onmiskenbaar keurmerk, een unieke eigen klank die alle anderen als copy cats in het stof laat bijten.

Enter: Deftones' Saturday Night Wrist.

Dik tien jaar duurde de vervolmaking. Het begon veelbelovend met Adrenaline in 1995. De zang van Chino Moreno, de enige zanger ter wereld die melancholisch kan krijsen als een geëlektrocuteerd varken, stond daar al als een huis. Maar Deftones klonken op Adrenaline nog heel punky. Mooi, maar ook herkenbaar en herleidbaar tot andere bands. De rauwe blauwdruk voor het onmiskenbare Deftones-geluid stond twee jaar later op Around The Fur: tegelijkertijd harder en warmer, beklemmender, maar ook met meer troost. Geen flauwe emo, maar oprechte emotie.

Het album was niet alleen de blauwdruk van wat de wereld vanaf dat moment als Deftones herkent, het verkocht ook nog eens als een gek. In 1999 ging Around The Fur voor de 500.000ste keer over de toonbank en kreeg daarmee een gouden randje. Ook opvolgers White Pony en Deftones scoorden goud en platinum in de VS.

Maar goud is nog lang geen nirvana. Zoals elke grote band, moest ook Deftones eerst nog door het slijk. Dat slijk ligt vooral in de studio, waar de voorkeuren van Moreno - fan van Robert Smith, The Smiths en Faith No More - keihard botsen met die van de rest van de band.

"Het moeilijkste album ooit," zegt de band zelf van deze plaat. De redding zat in het zien van een goed voorbeeld. Tijdens repetities voor Saturday Night Wrist keek de band de documentaire Some Kind Of Monster over Metallica. Daarin is te zien hoe de grootste metalband ter wereld slechts het laatste album afmaakt met hulp van intensieve metal coaching. Deftones herkent zich in de manier waarop de metalmiljonairs elkaar continu etteren als kleine kids en het spoor helemaal bijster zijn, "Maar dan zonder de miljoenen," aldus Abe Cunningham in een interview.

Waar of niet, het resultaat brengt Deftones een dichtje bij de dinosaurissenstatus van Metallica. De punk van Adrenaline en het rauwe op Around The Fur smelt samen in Rats! Rats! Rats!, het melodische en ingetogene van White Pony is geperfectioneerd in Cherry Wave, geheel nieuwe paden worden bewandeld in het sferische geluidslandschap U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,Select,Start en Depeche Mode en Nine Inch Nails vinden zichzelf opnieuw uit in Pink Cellphone.

Onmisbaar om het einddoel te bereiken: een goede leermeester. Ouwe rot producer Bob Erzin maakte niet altijd briljante albums, maar mocht als oude rot (Pink Floyd en KISS hebben veel aan hem te danken) toch de vaderrol op zich nemen. Met succes. Zijn bijdrage zit hem niet zozeer in het geluid, dat was al uitgekristalliseerd. Maar hij is wel de punt op de cliché- i, die Saturday Night Wrist een perfecte balans geeft tussen, hard, zacht, emotie, agressie.

Enter: nirvana!
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

slyartwork

DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

Chrisbo

Quote from: 333tone on Oct 31, 2006, 09:34 PM

Haha yes, that is a very true and valid point haha! :D

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

quietriot

Allright, SNW has gotten pretty good reviews in Norway aswell.

http://www.dagsavisen.no/nyetakter/anmeldelser/article2381034.ece

(for everyone who dont know norwegian ill try to translate it for ya, it might be a bit dodgy, because i dont know all the translations for everything. anywhoo. here it goes.)

Greatness a'la Deftones
Saturday Night Wrist
5/6

Deftones never seice to impress with their genre defying metalmusic. Three years after they left the fans in the dark/in distress(something like this), we now get "Saturday night Wrist" as a confirmation that the course is confusingly unchanged(something like that), their joy to play is intesified and their creativity is so well kept that the album comes forth as one of the bands absolute best.
Much is changed, especially when it comes to how far down in their own genre they are willing to explore. So far the cooperation with Bob Ezrin is a successfull choice.

Chino Moreno streches his vocals over the entire emotional register, from agressive poetic anger to bottomless sadness and one or another whining tone here and there.
He masters this balanse of the moods with scary prescision, while the band follow each little vocal "hint" inn to hallways of experimental metallmusic, ballads and classic punkinspired hardcore that really makes your head bang. As a metal version of U2, deftones builds an epic backdrop for their music, makes huge panoramalooks over the landscape and smashes the music out with Morenos surrealistic, and some times genious lyrics that builds up the atmosphere.
With "Saturday Night Wrist" Deftones deserves to break out of their kind of underacknowledged cultstatus because the greatness in their music makes every night a saturday night!

Again, im no expert translator. Hope it works for you guys.

Far away

Metalhed

me, from my myspace blog:

Getting the album I was hoping for an improvement on their 2003 self titled album, which was pretty good even if their worst.  My first impression on the art was "this should be pretty trippy".

So putting it in and on comes Hole in the Earth, the first single.  I like Chino's voice here and the way he sings the lyrics.  Pretty good guitars and drumming too.

Rapture is Adrenaline-era style, straight screaming and hard hitting.  I like it and its a definate headbanger.  The lyrics are a bit hard to get because of the screaming style though.  Sounds like "Elite" from White Pony.

Beware kicks in, and the drumming is great here.  So far this is the best song on the album with an almost prog metal vibe.  Chino's singing is really good here, again.  Has some good bass too.

Cherry Waves is another one with a proggish vibe and awesomeness.  Fucking rules and the imagery is A+.

Now we come to Mein, featuring the one and only Serj Tankian from SOAD.  It's a pretty good song, but Serj's input is about 3 lines and doesn't stand out compared to the last few tracks.

Interlude is a pretty good instrumental that reminds me of The Fragile era Nine Inch Nails.  The title is something I'd expect someone stupid like Dragonforce to use though (the real name of this song is a bunch of video game buttons).

Here's where I started to get worried.  Xerces starts off like a Team Sleep/Lucky You/Teenager type song with electronics and no crunch.  The voice is good but its a musical snoozer until you hit the chorus.  Here it takes the usual Deftones vibe.  The lyrics kinda remind me of Bloody Cape.

Rats! Rats! Rats! is another straight balls out thrasher of a song.  Despite repetitive lyrics it's a prime headbanger and mosher.

Now comes a song I was worried about.  Pink Cellphone is almost complete electronica ending with a narration about british people fucking each other up the ass (I'm not making this up).  This song sucks and almost threatens to ruin the album.  Annie Hardy sucks fucking balls.

Luckily the album redeems itself with Combat, another prog metal-esque song with Chino's maniacal shouts of "what side are you on?".  This sets the album back on track for the final tracks.

Kimdracula comes off as an apocalyptic, hard rocker with some quality playing by Steph and Abe.  Another good one setting up for the finale.

The final song, Riviere, has a Digital Bath vibe and sets the light on the set that is SNW with an ominous tone of desperation.  A great closer but a bit short.

Looking back on it, it comes off to me as a concept album about the world's end times (with the exception of that shitfest PCP).  An improvement on self titled for sure.  All in all a solid album and one of my favs of 2006 so far.

8.25/10

Hidalgo

rollingstone review 3.5/5

This Cali quintet was the artiest of the new-metal bands, honing a savage and spaced-out guitar-and-keyboard attack that got dense as hell on 2003's Deftones. Saturday Night Wrist is slightly cleaned-up, but it's as dark as the Deftones have ever gotten, with sludgy stoner-rock bumping against prog-metal chops and scorched-earth atmospherics. It's a weird blend of viscerally shaking (hopped-up slashers like "The Earth"), artfully alluring ("Beware," which has cricket sound effects) and unfocused oblivion ("Cherry Waves"). Tool and Korn are prime reference points, but another one is more surprising: Radiohead. "Mein," an industrial banger with swooshy space-rock overlays, finds Tarzan-like yowler Chino Moreno doing a credible Thom Yorke. The songwriting never quite comes together, but this is a metal record that gets by as much on sonic tricks as monster riffs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/deftones/albums/album/12056692/review/12246020/saturday_night_wrist

333tone

Quote from: Far away on Nov 01, 2006, 04:15 PM
i'm glad all the reviews are good! :)

there's this stupid pop+rockGreek mag that rated the album 7/10. i won't do them the favour and buy it, but i'm gonna e-mail them and tell them that since they copy all foreign mags, they should at least take a look at their reviews too! (the same mag gave WP 7/10)

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Martin

Great 3voor12 article Sly! The reviewd it well, and without mentioning nu-metal!

Chrisbo

Quote from: Tuck on Nov 02, 2006, 08:36 AM
Great 3voor12 article Sly! The reviewd it well, and without mentioning nu-metal!

Always got to applaud a reviewer for not bringing up that term!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

aj

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22875-2418993.html

Deftones
Saturday Night Wrist
(Maverick)

3 out of 5

Deftones always seemed well equipped to vault nu-metal's two-dimensional blueprint.

But fans of their White Pony album will recognise Saturday Night Wrist's tried and tested blend of dark atmospherics and brute dynamics.

There is poise and power on display from the off as Hole in the Earth mixes transfixing energy with an almost dreamlike chorus, while the trademark quavering drones and meaty riffs are there in spades, especially on the splenetic Rapture and the fearsomely unhinged Rats! Rats! Rats! Chino Moreno's spectral moan cranks up the dark intensity, though he is relaxed enough to pass the mike over to System of a Down's Serj Tankian for the standout Mein. You'll need a strong constitution, but Saturday Night Wrist repays the effort.

MIKE PATTENDEN

tarkil

Quote from: aj on Nov 02, 2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22875-2418993.html

Deftones
Saturday Night Wrist
(Maverick)

3 out of 5

Deftones always seemed well equipped to vault nu-metal's two-dimensional blueprint.

But fans of their White Pony album will recognise Saturday Night Wrist's tried and tested blend of dark atmospherics and brute dynamics.

There is poise and power on display from the off as Hole in the Earth mixes transfixing energy with an almost dreamlike chorus, while the trademark quavering drones and meaty riffs are there in spades, especially on the splenetic Rapture and the fearsomely unhinged Rats! Rats! Rats! Chino Moreno's spectral moan cranks up the dark intensity, though he is relaxed enough to pass the mike over to System of a Down's Serj Tankian for the standout Mein. You'll need a strong constitution, but Saturday Night Wrist repays the effort.

MIKE PATTENDEN

WTF are these words : poise, transfixing, quavering drones, splenetic, unhinged, etc. ? Fuck that...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

whatshouldgohere

Quote from: tarkil on Nov 02, 2006, 04:13 PMWTF are these words : poise, transfixing, quavering drones, splenetic, unhinged, etc. ? Fuck that...
haha music journalism, gotta love it ;)

aj

ok Frenchie, here you go

poise = equilibre, assurance, grace

transfixing = transpercant

quavering drones = vrombissements chevrotants/tremblotants

splenetic = hargneux, atrabilaire

unhinged = desequilibre/delirant

tarkil

Fuck, you know all that words in french ? Or did you search for them ?

In any case, thank you very much. I searched for them on my side too though... :)

aj

well my vocab is fucking excellent.

actually i used my dictionary.

tarkil

Ha ha, okay, thanks for the help anyway man... Cheers... :)