Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Saturday Night Wrist Review/Interview List

Started by Subliminal, Oct 29, 2006, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoda on mars

no problemo amigo. I like the way S. sums up Chino.

Hidalgo

damn, that's one of the best interviews with Stephen in a long time

looks like he'll be breakin out that 8-string, & leads on the next album

i kinda wish he'd get together with a metal type drummer & record some tracks just for fun, so he could unleash the metal style he can't do in deftones

i wish sol invicto would post another track already, i'm itchin to hear what else Steph's done with them

ToneDef

Quote from: yoda on mars on Aug 25, 2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/stephen_carpenter_deftones_guitarist_grooves_on_saturday_night.html

interview with stephen taken from ULTIMATE GUITAR

if it was posted before tell me, I'll' delete the post.

Quote from: stephen carpenter

How did the collaboration with Serj Tankian from System Of A Down come about?

It came about because Chino had no ideas for the songs. We have the same management as Serj, and they suggested that maybe the two of them could work on it and break the ice to see if something would come out. They had given Serj the song, and he actually did vocals on the entire song, and he wrote them and recorded them all in one day, which was a total slap in Chino's face. He hadn't done anything for it in over a year! The band has problems, and the only way we'll ever deal with the problems is if the problems are dealt with as they are. This was the only way we were ever going to get songs written faster, which is really what it came down to. We can take forever on it. The record was becoming our own version of The Chinese Democracy. I personally do not want to take a lifetime to create a song. I can start on a song in the morning, and by the end of the night, it will be finished. That's how I work.

Did the band have a lot of songs written which didn't get used on the album?

All of the ones that didn't get used were songs that I wrote, or songs that Chi wrote. I'll tell you what. All problems aside, and everything that we've dealt with, the greatest part of going through this process is that it has brought us all closer together. We have so many ideas and such a great view of the future. The truth is that the future is looking good for us, and it brought us together, in spite of how crappy and trying the moments have been. Had we not gone through that, we'd be different. But we've gone through it, and we're always going to go through it. The reality is that maybe the next record will be a smash or maybe it's an absolute flop. Whatever the case, it's strictly going to be determined by sales and people's opinions. But at the end of the day, we're still a group of friends that enjoy making music together, and we'll still make it. You know, I've really grown a serious distaste for the entire music industry because it's so based on sales, and that disgusts me. Music has lost its true beauty. And those who actually follow their beliefs and make stuff that they truly love, regardless of who buys it, those are the people I love. But this never-ending sales business, I can't understand that mentality

Great read, thanks man. I find myself constantly agreeing with what that guy says in interviews. As a weed smoker I understand the laid back way of thinking though, however I don't feel I'll ever be as tolerant as Stef when it comes to certain things.

Hidalgo

it's funny, he looks like such a polarizing figure, & unapproachable. but he's actually really laid back & friendly

cyppe101

Great interview, thanks.

"I've got some 8-strings being made, so I want to enjoy that sound."

"Now I have a white ESP Tele-style guitar, and I intend to use that and the 8-string a lot when I write new stuff. I don't have 6-strings anymore."

So, he will get 8-string guitars... Nice.

Nebontha

I think I would like this album (SNW) a lot more if I never heard the Bob Ezrin 16 track demo sessions.  As far as Deftones material goes, those demos were really trippy and spacey, really blew my mind, especially as when I blew out cannabis smoke in my toxic fume filled garage.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

Vesanic

I've just realized how mindblowing is KimDracula.

jesusinabowlofdirt

ok cool. what sort of cannabis did u smoke at the time?

Vesanic

None. It's just that I never paid attention to KimDracula, although I've listened to Saturday Night Wrist minutiously, except KimDracula.

jesusinabowlofdirt

ok good for u i guess. i dont hate it but doesnt feel like a deftones song, they better get the def feel back on eros

Vesanic

Agreed. But KimDracula rocks. And I think it has a certain Deftones feeling.

Penicks

reaaallly hate chino's high pitched voice in it

I REALLY WISH THESE SNAKES (here it comes, god fucking damn it) WERE YOUR ARMS

hate it hate it hate it

song would've been great without it

pixElsblUr

ohhhh naw dude, that song is perfect the way he sung it, I like hearing that part

Vesanic

Same here. I like those notes.I even prefer this part with these notes to towards the end when he sings " your arms " with a lower tune.

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Penicks on May 01, 2009, 02:55 PM

I REALLY WISH THESE SNAKES (here it comes, god fucking damn it) WERE YOUR ARMS

hehe could be the top 3 most funny thing posted here on sl ;D  and i really dont know why

lungdamage

Hey, did a quick search to see if anyone had posted this interview.....with keyword 'scuzz' and got nothing...
sorry if it has been posted a million times.. :(

so this is for people that haven't seen it yet... (aka possibly no one) heh

i only like it because they they talk about 'entertain me' pretty definitively in the approx the last 4 mins....

http://www.scuzz.com/Videos/VideoDetails.aspx?type=4&cid=766&st=4

Vesanic

anothermarine

IMO Xerces was the pinnacle of that entire CD.  Especially the outtro.

snw9

Quote from: Vesanic on May 01, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've just realized how mindblowing is KimDracula.

Its a paramount moment on the record; melodically sweet and heavy
Code: [Select]