Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

should deftones have disbanded after white pony?

Started by Caín, May 26, 2008, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidalgo

speaking of WP, i heard change(in the house of flies) on the radio tonight. it was weird, i handt heard it on the radio for so long, years & years & years. but it was played A LOT back in 2000 & 2001. it kinda pisses me off that it isnt played more. it should be a no brainer to play that song fairly often

wheresmysnare

I think Deftones should have called it a day after White Pony and let the dust settle more. I think Chino's voice could have done with a break from the screaming, he could have gone off and dedicated more time to his side projects rather than doing bits here and there to the detriment of the self-titled album and SNW. However, I also think they should have reformed round about now, i'd wager Chino's voice would have recovered (teamsleep isn't going to rupture any vocal chords any time soon) and it would be a very very hyped album. That's not to say i'm not grateful for the last two albums, and i appreciate that they are hardly known for rushing into their next albums but i think they burnt themselves out a bit and they could have done with a longer rest between the follow up to WP.

Deftones-argentina

interesting opinion. Or he could go to a vocal coach, and educate his singing nature.

Inkblades

No S/T never exists?

That's a world I don't want to live in.

Battle-Axe

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 11, 2008, 06:50 AM
No S/T never exists?

That's a world I don't want to live in.

That sums up my thoughts on this pretty much perfectly.

I got into Deftones just before the release of S/T and I can remember the day I bought that and WP and I listened to them for hours when I got home. If I'm honest I prefer S/T - it gives me shivers every time I hear the first riff in Hexagram.

Starz

Battle-Axe or When Girls Telephone Boys are my favourite songs off S/T today but tomorrow it will change. I must listen to S/T what, at least 5 times a day? I always play it before bedtime when the lights have been turned off.

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Starz

I think today Needles & Pins is my favourite song off S/T. I'll let you know if it changes tomorrow which is most likely

kalhan

come to think of it, most of my favorite deftones tracks are off s/t

good album

Fireal1222

self titled was a grower for me.. on first listen i was let down on every level imaginable.. but now i fucking love it.. amazing album.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

LIFEAFTERDEATH

the question should be, Should I as a deftones fan, stopped being a fan after white pony?

you as a fan mean nothing in the direction of artists.

Opinions and fish.

Caín

Quote from: LIFEAFTERDEATH on Jun 14, 2008, 05:34 AM
the question should be, Should I as a deftones fan, stopped being a fan after white pony?

you as a fan mean nothing in the direction of artists.

Opinions and fish.

sorry, dude. you're missing the point. it's not about me or my taste or anything, but the deftones' legacy.

kalhan

deftones is a tiny band. they've only gone platinum once... there is no legacy... just a bunch of fans that are musically educated.

they're a respected band, yes. and i don't see how that respect would die down after white pony. infact, i'd say white pony is my least favorite deftones album. it's great, but i think i've exhausted it, i don't listen to those songs anymore.

emehlen

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Jun 14, 2008, 05:24 AM
self titled was a grower for me.. on first listen i was let down on every level imaginable.. but now i fucking love it.. amazing album.

Same here

I couldn't do w/o that album. But at first listen I was let down. Going from WP to S/Twas a big adjustment for me but I love it now.

White Pwny

Quote from: emehlen on Jun 15, 2008, 04:24 PM
Quote from: Fireal1222 on Jun 14, 2008, 05:24 AM

Same here

I couldn't do w/o that album. But at first listen I was let down. Going from WP to S/Twas a big adjustment for me but I love it now.

It was the same exact way for me.   The husband and I went and bought it... sat and listened... and were like, WTF?!     I felt the same way you guys did.   After a little time, every single song has grown on me.  Fucking amazing album.   I could not imagine no ST.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

theshadeisatool

^^

+1 - Particularly since SNW was released S/T has grown on me. Something didn't sound right when I first heard it, but now it sounds like a whole album. SNW in comparison sounds quite jumbled up and disjointed?

dictatesofreason

no. deftones sound is essential to my life i love wp its the first cd i give to myfreinds  S/T grew on me to  i love lucky you, i mean even with SNW it took a long haul but now i love all the albums..eros is gunna rock...if it ever gets finished

LIFEAFTERDEATH

Quote from: kalhan on Jun 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
deftones is a tiny band. they've only gone platinum once... there is no legacy... just a bunch of fans that are musically educated.

they're a respected band, yes. and i don't see how that respect would die down after white pony. infact, i'd say white pony is my least favorite deftones album. it's great, but i think i've exhausted it, i don't listen to those songs anymore.

Speaking of numbers, in the bible, numbers shows that the most signifigant prophets, including jesus himself had the smallest number of followers, so there is a legacy. There is even a legacy in your life, how far that goes is up to you.

Starz

I just bought the Deftones Tribute album. The people who did that album should definitlely disband.