Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

should deftones have disbanded after white pony?

Started by Caín, May 26, 2008, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepest_ocean

I see your point but theres now way I could wish they had disbanded after WP (maby cause ST is equally as good IMO :P)
But thats an interesting thing to think about how WP would stand out today if they had called it a day.

offtopic but Korn should have disbanded some 10 years ago.

rainnyx4

Quote from: deepest_ocean on May 26, 2008, 06:11 PM
I see your point but theres now way I could wish they had disbanded after WP (maby cause ST is equally as good IMO :P)
But thats an interesting thing to think about how WP would stand out today if they had called it a day.

Pretty much.  As long as the Deftones are putting out quality records, which they are, they should stick together.  Korn on the other hand, should have quit after Follow the Leader or at the latest, Untouchables.  It would've cemented them as an epic band rather than the joke they are now.

Corleone

I would'nt be as big of a fan had they split up

and s/t owns... you must have shitty speakers or something

Caín

Quote from: deepest_ocean on May 26, 2008, 06:11 PM

after "issues" me thinks!

White Pwny

Quote from: Caín on May 26, 2008, 05:42 PM
Quote from: White Pwny on May 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
ST proved you wrong.   Srsly. 

i personally find S/T uninspired and dull, but that's just me.

Yes... issues with speakers or something.   Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Good Morning Beauiful, Deathblow... WGTB, Battle-Axe, Bloody Cape, Moana and Bloody Cape!!   How can you think they are dull?   I'm perplexed.   =o\
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Yasiu

Quote from: White Pwny on May 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
ST proved you wrong.   Srsly. 

Yes... issues with speakers or something.   Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Good Morning Beauiful, Deathblow... WGTB, Battle-Axe, Bloody Cape, Moana and Bloody Cape!!   How can you think they are dull?   I'm perplexed.   =o\

Hey! Minerva is pretty nice too ; ).

White Pwny

Basically the whole CD fucking rocked.   And, on that note... I also liked alot of SNW.   This guy is outta his tree thinkin that they should have broken up after WP...   
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Yasiu

Quote from: White Pwny on May 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
Basically the whole CD fucking rocked.   And, on that note... I also liked alot of SNW.   This guy is outta his tree thinkin that they should have broken up after WP...   

Yeah I tottaly agree. Disbanding? No. A short hiatus? Maybe, but it doesn't matter, cause Chino writes that recording Eros is going gooood.

Caín

i've never said i'd prefer them broken up or anything. i just wanted to know what you guys think. of course to us fans (well, i'm not sure if i consider myself a fan) the obvious answer to this question is "no". but what if they split after white pony? personally, i think that the impact they had would've been even bigger. and on the other hand i find white pony a great swansong. to me it's their best record. it's a flawless masterpiece.

Caín

ST proved you wrong.   Srsly. 

Yes... issues with speakers or something.   Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Good Morning Beauiful, Deathblow... WGTB, Battle-Axe, Bloody Cape, Moana and Bloody Cape!!   How can you think they are dull?   I'm perplexed.   =o\

i think it really boils down to expectations. and while white pony exceeded my expectations, i found s/t to be rather underwhelming. i don't want this to become a s/t versus white pony debate (since we had enough of them), but to me, white pony was pushing the envelope. nobody expected white pony to be what it turned out to be. they took two steps forward with fur to pony and one step back when they released s/t.

rainnyx4

Quote from: Caín on May 26, 2008, 07:13 PM
ST proved you wrong.   Srsly. 

i think it really boils down to expectations. and while white pony exceeded my expectations, i found s/t to be rather underwhelming. i don't want this to become a s/t versus white pony debate (since we had enough of them), but to me, white pony was pushing the envelope. nobody expected white pony to be what it turned out to be. they took two steps forward with fur to pony and one step back when they released s/t.

I've been saying this on the board for years.  I think you must be the only other person here to agree with me.

ToneDef

They shouldn't have quit after White Pony, no. They released solid material afterwards and some of my favourite songs of theirs. As a fan it would have given me less stuff to listen to. The first time I saw them live was in '03 so I would have missed out on that too.

However, If they did indeed end it after White Pony then they'd be considered truly classic I believe. Flawless in fact. It was their creative peak and they'll never better it. Say yes to drugs.

jesusinabowlofdirt

st was better that whtie pony so: no.end of story. retard

Jacob

personally I prefer when a band keeps making music and touring even if their newer stuff isn't up to par with the old. as long as they don't turn to complete shit. but so far Deftones haven't, so no I don't think they should've disbanded.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Frankz0r

Jacob

let's not turn this into a flamewar please.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

alvarezbassist17

wtf just because your favorite cd by a band isn't their most recent you think they should have broken up?  god, i hate all this "they're never gonna make something as good as white pony, because that was the soundtrack to my puberty mehhhh" shit.  maybe this would be a real discussion if they had just broken up, but uhh they do have a new album coming out, and you're not holding out any hope for it?

snw & s/t ftw

emehlen

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on May 27, 2008, 01:50 AM
i hate all this "they're never gonna make something as good as white pony, because that was the soundtrack to my puberty mehhhh" shit. 

rofl

S/T did own.  Hello, When Girls Telephone Boys? Hexagram? Minerva? Bloody Cape? Moana? All classics in every one of my mix cds
What an idiot topic

Bayle

Quote from: Yasiu on May 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe, but it doesn't matter, cause Chino writes that recording Eros is going gooood.

They say that everytime they're recording. And it's going to be their best record everytime too.

But quiting: definately not!
Yes, I can imagine