Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

should deftones have disbanded after white pony?

Started by Caín, May 26, 2008, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caín

Quote from: Hidalgo on May 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
Quote from: blondie on May 29, 2008, 09:29 PM
yes, they should've disbanded because you know all bands break up after they've made a platinum album while they're still young and are still hungry to explore their musical potential.

::)

wouldn't have made much sense would it?

flip burgers? or make a lot of money playing music?

if i recall correctly, the band ran into moneyproblems right after s/t. guess musicbusiness wasn't going to good.

Hidalgo

i think they were fine until they took most of 04 off, & all of 05 off from touring

samson simpson

cant wait for the " If one one the members died..."  thread

Moz

I came back to here JUST for this topic.

I have to say to the topic starter: magnificent topic, at least you have the balls to state a question like this.

Also: you proved over half of this message board is fucking dumb ass, they can't even properly discuss a topic like this. They just start flaming because OMG YOU SAYIN SOMETHING BAAAD ABOUT MY FIRST BAND!!!11oneone

As to agreeing with you, it's a mixed back. I can DEF. agree on the fact that they would have been much more legendary by this point if they had called it quits after WP. It happens to all these bands that do it, like you mentioned, like ATD-I and Refused. Nine Inch Nails could've done it as well after the Fragile. It's just that so much bands reach a creative high point at some point and they never get above that. Everything that follows stands in the shadow of that very record. Ive never made it a secret that I always think like this, it happens with all bands, if they dont split up on time that is.

However you can never know for sure. For all we know they will make a second classic record. Then again, they will never be considered as a fantastic band the way a band as ATD-I is considered, just because their discography isn't flawless anymore.

I'm very happy they still make music though, I want more of it, all the time. As long as they don't put out a stinker to end their career, like The Clash did with Cut the Crap for example, I'll be satisfied I guess.

samson simpson

the "question" to this thread ( to me , atleast the replies) only applies to those who just got into Deftones after or during the release of WP...

anyone who heard their records prior or saw them on tour prior to this release knows what kind of band talent wise they were already.....I like WP,  but anyone IMO who says that is their "peak" doesnt know a asshole from a elbow .........and shouldnt have any opinion on what is their best..

I know we all have diff. opinions and styles or whatever the lilly fuck...the fact still remains...WP was their most comfortable / easy to get into record that most casual listeners & first time listeners of the band connect with ...

but....

ATF was their "peak" and deserved alot more credit that half of you people/fans can even fathom

fireflyry

Quote from: samson simpson on May 30, 2008, 10:55 AM
ATF was their "peak" and deserved alot more credit that half of you people/fans can even fathom

M o t h e r  F u c k i n g  W o r d.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Moz

I got into Deftones during ATF, but I still like White Pony more. To each his own.

fireflyry

Sorry to go off tangent but....HOLY FUCK.....it's the MOZ.

Aloha.

....k back on topic now...music, if anything, is one of the most pure forms of expression.In saying I believe the interpretation is also equally open to individual honesty and opinion but I still have to agree with Sampson.

People who don't see ATF as defining just confuse me.

Quote from: Moz on May 30, 2008, 11:01 AM
To each his own.

Jerry_Curls

no.

white pony is good, but I like the sounds Deftones keeps coming out with.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Jacob

Quote from: samson simpson on May 30, 2008, 10:55 AM
the "question" to this thread ( to me , atleast the replies) only applies to those who just got into Deftones after or during the release of WP...

anyone who heard their records prior or saw them on tour prior to this release knows what kind of band talent wise they were already.....I like WP,  but anyone IMO who says that is their "peak" doesnt know a asshole from a elbow .........and shouldnt have any opinion on what is their best..

I know we all have diff. opinions and styles or whatever the lilly fuck...the fact still remains...WP was their most comfortable / easy to get into record that most casual listeners & first time listeners of the band connect with ...

but....

it's all about taste, dude.

I could say the same about you - I think ATF is boring, a bit uninspired and sounds like an attempt to break into the mainstream. if you think that's their peak, you don't know shit. see how easy that was? :P
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

fireflyry

Yeah thats a fair call.

It's always about perspective and opinion but back on track in terms of the header.....

Fuck....no......

Self-Titled is far from my favorite album but imo it's the most honest.I'm just glad to have it and as long as the Deftones put out good music I'm happy.

Starz

actually fuck it.

Moz

Quote from: fireflyry on May 30, 2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry to go off tangent but....HOLY FUCK.....it's the MOZ.

Aloha.

hah, hey man

fireflyry

No offense but bad analogy, for me personally....

If the Deftones ever get as bad as Korn post FTL I'll be the first praying they quit and I also don't believe a band should be making music if they aren't passionate about it.There is a difference between making honest and passionate music and bending over and taking it up the pooper because a record company says you should.

Tangent to be sure but I have no respect for the remaining members of Korn.The talent and passion left the building a long time ago and they now represent everything I hate about commercial rock.

Big marketing.....no substance.

Edit:Starz had an edit...I had a beer...fuck it.

Starz

Sorry I couldn't be bothered, unfortunately everybody has their own opinion so everyone is wrong so ultimately this thread will be in a continuous circle...

fireflyry

Dude 99% of forum topics are like that.

The fun is in sharing opinions and different points of view.

Right and wrong is consistently irrelevant.

ToneDef

It's kinda shitty sometimes I'm not as pumped about the next record as I have been with previous efforts. s/t especially.

I mean, this band used to be my whole world. They're still important to me, but just not in the same way. I don't really know why exactly, but I've just been doing more stuff now, you know? I have a girlfriend who doesn't even know who they are and wouldn't think of trying to get into them, and 90% of my spare time is spent with her. I really gotta make more time for myself because I'm losing interest in the things that gave me pleasure before.

Like bestiality.

Moz

Quote from: ToneDef on May 30, 2008, 03:47 PM
It's kinda shitty sometimes I'm not as pumped about the next record as I have been with previous efforts. s/t especially.

I mean, this band used to be my whole world. They're still important to me, but just not in the same way. I don't really know why exactly, but I've just been doing more stuff now, you know? I have a girlfriend who doesn't even know who they are and wouldn't think of trying to get into them, and 90% of my spare time is spent with her. I really gotta make more time for myself because I'm losing interest in the things that gave me pleasure before.

Like bestiality.

true. you don't realise how much you missed yourself until you are single again. not suggesting you should become a single, but it becomes so clear then how you push things of your own personality aside in a relationship, even if she's not asking you to do so

rainnyx4

Like bestiality.

If you don't feel like you're being 100% you around your significant other that's a bad sign.  There are things you can compromise on, but who you are is not one of them.

wither-I

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 30, 2008, 04:20 PM

Like bestiality.

If you don't feel like you're being 100% you around your significant other that's a bad sign.  There are things you can compromise on, but who you are is not one of them.
truism.

"coming into the nearness of distance"