Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

should deftones have disbanded after white pony?

Started by Caín, May 26, 2008, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

Quote from: Starz on May 28, 2008, 11:02 PM
I was going to say the same thing. When I first joined this Forum I remember expressing my love for S/T album and many of the replies I got were 'That's cool man cos not many people see S/T in such high regard as you do...' Maybe over time the people who didn't enjoy it much at first have come to realise just how great an album it is? I don't know but it does seem strange as I thought the majority on here didn't like S/T very much...

I thought it was their worst when it came out and still do.  Not saying it's bad, just their weakest effort.  Though Anniversary is one of their best songs.

mr.sinister

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 29, 2008, 12:59 AM
I was going to say the same thing. When I first joined this Forum I remember expressing my love for S/T album and many of the replies I got were 'That's cool man cos not many people see S/T in such high regard as you do...' Maybe over time the people who didn't enjoy it much at first have come to realise just how great an album it is? I don't know but it does seem strange as I thought the majority on here didn't like S/T very much...

I thought it was their worst when it came out and still do.  Not saying it's bad, just their weakest effort.  Though Anniversary is one of their best songs.
What? You think that S/T is weak, but you deem the weakest song on the record it one of the best in their career? I know its your opinion but most people don't like Anniversary. I always thought it was filler material.

rainnyx4

Quote from: mr.sinester on May 29, 2008, 01:56 AM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 29, 2008, 12:59 AM

What? You think that S/T is weak, but you deem the weakest song on the record it one of the best in their career? I know its your opinion but most people don't like Anniversary. I always thought it was filler material.

Most people are faggots.

i kill for fun

well im jus gonna go ahead and be an asshole and say yes b/c im tired of the same conversation
"playful deception is the lowest form of Tom-foolery"
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die"

TheWatcher

i would of been very piss

i hate when bands break up

Timmy666

remember when the S/T cover art gave me a boner

feeling like more

i dont think this is such a bad question. i dont agree they should have, i didnt even know what deftones did till after wp was released, then i worked back through adrenaline and atf, and i remember the anticipation for self titled coming out. good times.
but i do feel, after seeing them in sydney last year that it would be the last time i go see them play. my own personal opinion is that i want to keep them relevant to that stage of my life, because they meant so much to me back then [2001,02,03]. i even flew to berlin to see them play because they didnt tour australia with st. now i dont feel the same way, and i dont want to spoil anything. strange i know, just the way i feel...

Jacob

Quote from: feeling like more on May 29, 2008, 05:18 AM
i dont think this is such a bad question. i dont agree they should have, i didnt even know what deftones did till after wp was released, then i worked back through adrenaline and atf, and i remember the anticipation for self titled coming out. good times.
but i do feel, after seeing them in sydney last year that it would be the last time i go see them play. my own personal opinion is that i want to keep them relevant to that stage of my life, because they meant so much to me back then [2001,02,03]. i even flew to berlin to see them play because they didnt tour australia with st. now i dont feel the same way, and i dont want to spoil anything. strange i know, just the way i feel...

I kinda see what you mean. I've also flown to Berlin to see them twice now because they never play in Sweden (well, they did the summer of '05, but it was such a crappy gig I barely remember it). and I'm not sure I feel like doing that anymore. depends on how good the new album is, obviously.

also, I started with ATF but never got into it until I got WP. so in a way, WP is the first Deftones album I got into, then I worked my way back. there were so many things I loved about WP and with that being their latest album, I expected huge things from S/T. I was very disappointed but I still like it a lot. when SNW was on its way I again had big expectations on it, but nowhere near as big as before. this time the album was a lot better, probably partly because my expectations weren't as big. but now.... well, I expect the album to be good, since it's Deftones. but that's about it. it's not the same kind of anticipation anymore. I'm not thinking about the album for one second when I'm not on the board for example.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

feeling like more

yeah there are alot of good things about st, but the best thing for me was the build up of it being released. i might be wrong, actually i probably am wrong, but parts of me think that they are not a band who are going to pick up many new fans now, and they are only making new material for those of us who have been listening to them for a while. and i guess that i am happy with what they have given me and i dont need anything new now. that said i will still likely listen to the new album and any future releases, but if they stopped now, i would say ok, and be happy with what we already have.

Caín

Quote from: cast so cool on May 28, 2008, 05:27 PM
But you cant tell me that when you put in S/T, those first few notes of Hexagram doesnt do something to you

honestly, no. i just feel like: "this shit is so overproduced". two or three minutes into the song i think: "stop this shit already. it's annoying" it's the same fucking riff all over again.

Caín

Quote from: Timmy666 on May 29, 2008, 04:56 AM
remember when the S/T cover art gave me a boner

oh no, you didn't? the roses and the skull?

kalhan

i think he's talking about the snw cover.

moving on, s/t is a big fuck you to most of the heavy metal bands out there and it makes them look like castrated little boys. especially tracks like bloody cape, hexagram and... when girls telephone boys.

jesusinabowlofdirt

yes of course they should have disbanded, in fact they should have done it after like linus. youre so right.

fucking idiot

wither-I

Quote from: kalhan on May 29, 2008, 09:12 AM
i think he's talking about the snw cover.

moving on, s/t is a big fuck you to most of the heavy metal bands out there and it makes them look like castrated little boys. especially tracks like bloody cape, hexagram and... when girls telephone boys.
you must be listening to some shit metal

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Zevaka

i wonder how do this thread has already 4 pages...

anyhow. If they disbanded it could be one of the most EPIC dis-bandings ever
But i'm still happy they didn't.

Caín

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on May 29, 2008, 11:59 AM
yes of course they should have disbanded, in fact they should have done it after like linus. youre so right.

fucking idiot

keep the insults to yourself please.

wither-I

"coming into the nearness of distance"

blondie

yes, they should've disbanded because you know all bands break up after they've made a platinum album while they're still young and are still hungry to explore their musical potential.

::)

White Pwny

Quote from: blondie on May 29, 2008, 09:29 PM
yes, they should've disbanded because you know all bands break up after they've made a platinum album while they're still young and are still hungry to explore their musical potential.

^5
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Hidalgo

Quote from: blondie on May 29, 2008, 09:29 PM

wouldn't have made much sense would it?

flip burgers? or make a lot of money playing music?