Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Loving the doomy, sinister vibe on Initiation. Sounds like the music we'll all be marching to in the apocalypse. Chiller vibes on Protection, but I like what I hear.

Matthewtheloser

I'm loving both of these tracks! Initiation is great, the chorus in particular really hits the spot, that part definitely gives me that same sort of euphoric release that I get from moments like the end of Option. Probably my favorite of the two songs. Protection is good too though, it has a seductive-in-a-sinister-way vibe I dig a lot. I like the more sparse part in the middle and the heavy kicks with arpeggios at the end. I'm not disappointed in either of these songs, and I'm most certainly looking forward to a full project.

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Inkblades

This article has some interesting things of note:

https://consequence.net/2022/03/crosses-initiation-protection-stream/

- Initiation was inspired by the scene in Scarface where Tony stares at the The World Is Yours sign. Yeah, that same sense of mood comes across in the song. Big time.

- Playing coy as always about an album release date lol, but "more original music on the horizon to come" according to a press release. I noticed the Initiation/Protection vinyl ships in late June, so that could be around the same time an album drops? Will we get more two song drops until then? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

feedthegod

I like the song, no doubt. But there is a VERY apparent theme here. No fucking Chuck Doom. Deftones, No Sergio. WTF is going on with Chino's projects that the Bass players are disappearing? I saw this and I'm like, WTF, where is Chuck??? I was lucky enough to see Crosses live and Chuck was a VERY vital component to their live sound. I can't say how much he was for recording, but live, he was fucking awesome. Now he's just disappeared. Kind of like we didn't know Sergio was gone for a year? DO THE MATH. This is bullshit.

GlimmeringMaggit

Chuck's working on Saudade. That's his project.
Formerly LG95

plagasx

Initiation is my new favorite Crosses song. God fucking DAMN. It has that same kind of addicting chorus that Option has.

defsteve

Quote from: plagasx on Mar 18, 2022, 07:18 PM
Initiation is my new favorite Crosses song.God fucking DAMN. It has that same kind of addicting chorus that Option has.

For how long ?  8)
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

TeamCrossedSleep

Has anyone got any idea where I can get the MP3s or Lossless etc of these? I refuse to rip the YT videos and get rubbish sound.

I would have loved the 10" vinyl but.....

If anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks :) I love Chinos other side projects and odd songs he pops up on. The mans a 1 word why I started going proper genius. Even his cover of goodbye horses is still stuck in my head. I listened to it this morning randomly. Probably due to the recent news (subconsciously) I really need these in at least 320kbps.

Oh and HELLO!!!!!!!

I've joined again after a few years and forgetting my password etc. Nice to see you all again.

Inkblades

https://www.kerrang.com/the-return-of-crosses-chino-moreno-shaun-lopez-not-scared-to-do-things-that-are-out-of-our-zone

So to confirm, you're back now – Crosses aren't going to disappear on us again?

Shaun: "We do it when it's fun, and it's fun right now. We're gonna keep putting out songs throughout this year."

Chino: "We're not going to make it be such a, 'We've got to do this now!' thing, like it's got to be all-in, all at once. The idea is to prolong this. We're just not rushing and putting an album out – we're sifting through it over time. At some point, once it all starts to take shape and there is enough there for a proper full-length release, we may release it with extra songs – kind of like what we did on our first record where we released five songs at a time and then put it all together at the end as a record. Honestly, too, attention spans are so short these days. You put out a record and the next week [people are] like, 'Okay, what's next?' This gives us a way to release it over time and have fun with it, instead of putting all our eggs in the basket at once."

GlimmeringMaggit

I'd rather have an album but I'm not complaining about more new music, regardless of it being drip fed.

Initially slightly preferred Initiation but Protection has really worked its way with me. Some really cool electronic moments, good low end to contrast the melody and simple Martin Gore-esque lyricism, and the last 45 seconds are great, ending on the piano. Really like that track.
Formerly LG95

Inkblades

Expect two more songs at the end of April:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/crosses-deftones-chino-moreno-far-shaun-lopez-interview-new-album-live-tour-3196161

As for when to expect more new music, Moreno said to anticipate another two new songs towards the end of April while the band "find a pace and keep them coming."

Asked about the direction of the upcoming pair of tracks, Moreno replied: "They're different, I will say that. One of the songs specifically is one that Shaun sent me and told me he didn't think I would like. Sometimes he'll send me something and I'll just throw some ideas and vocals on it and have it back to him in like four minutes.

"Out of all the Crosses material of the past, one of them is a little more uplifting and less cerebral. It has this vibe that we hadn't tapped into before, but once we dug into it we made it feel very much like us but just from a different angle. It's coming out just before the summer, so I'm excited about that."

https://floodmagazine.com/105602/chino-moreno-shaun-lopez-crosses-in-convo/

Chino: Yeah, we already have a lot of finished stuff, and we're sort of planning out the releases. And we're continuing to write new stuff, even though we have plenty enough as it is, because when we get together it's really easy to start working on something new. I feel like we just keep unlocking these different doors to how we create. We have the next release in line already, mastered and ready to go with artwork and everything; and then in the next couple of weeks we'll be planning the next one, and hopefully getting on a certain schedule. There's a lot of different rooms that this project lives in, and I think with each release the picture gets wider, you know what I mean? I'm really excited for people to hear this as a whole, once everything's out there—we'll eventually release it as a whole album, sort of like what we did with the last record.

plagasx

Hell yea! If we get a new song every month for the rest of the year I wouldn't mind that honestly..

Inkblades

New video for Protection out. Makes me wonder if they are going to put out videos for every song they'll be dropping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-y0k8aP-8&t=22s&ab_channel=CrossesMusic

plagasx

Lol, so much for getting those 2 new songs at the end of the month..

Inkblades

There's still two more days in April!

But yeah, doesn't look like anything this month lol. Next week, maybe? Hopefully?

Inkblades

Shaun is teasing vinyl test pressings on his IG, so new songs soon is my bet.

Inkblades

Or maybe new songs aren't coming any time soon? At the very least, it seems like something in their game plan changed. I just hope this isn't another Team Sleep situation where it's "We have a bunch of stuff planned!" and then nothing happens.

GlimmeringMaggit

Maybe they've decided on an album release? I don't know.

The difference with Team Sleep is that we know Crosses have actually recorded. There's plenty of material there, it's just when and how they release it.
Formerly LG95