Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvthedrv

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 23, 2016, 04:58 PM
3 new things i haven't read/heard before:

bqad's working title was "dreamboat"

chino is proud of s/t

chino's favourite deftones song of all time is "anniversary"

thanks for posting.

that shit is pretty dope

ANattyRat

You know how people talk about they can't listen to certain songs after a break-up because it makes them sad and miss that person? Imagine that, except...way bigger problems than just a break-up, and you actually created the songs. That's a very strong attachment to negative feelings, and I can understand them not reliving it more than they have to. Of course, a few songs from Saturday Night Wrist would be awesome, and certainly some less-commonly played songs from the self-titled album would be great, but I guess it's difficult for them.

I think it's funny, because Chino says Saturday Night Wrist is the one he thinks is horrible because those times were dark, but the songs don't really seem like it, you know? Whereas the self-titled album, that's a very dark album, the entire mood, even the way his vocals sound. So it's funny how he's proud of the self-titled album despite what was going on at the time, but Saturday Night Wrist is the one that's the hardest for him to revisit. Then again, Bloody Cape isn't quite as dark, and therefore hard to revisit perhaps, as Battle-Axe, I suppose.

2MoreHours

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 23, 2016, 05:13 PM

I think it's funny, because Chino says Saturday Night Wrist is the one he thinks is horrible because those times were dark, but the songs don't really seem like it, you know? Whereas the self-titled album, that's a very dark album, the entire mood, even the way his vocals sound. So it's funny how he's proud of the self-titled album despite what was going on at the time, but Saturday Night Wrist is the one that's the hardest for him to revisit. Then again, Bloody Cape isn't quite as dark, and therefore hard to revisit perhaps, as Battle-Axe, I suppose.

I think SNW is a dark/spooky sounding album.  I've always had sort of a dark/depressed feeling about it but I really love it.  Albums are seasonal to me and I love listening to this one in the fall.  It kind of fits with Halloween, the trees losing their leaves, and the crips, cool air.

King Leer

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 23, 2016, 04:49 PM
Quote from: King Leer on Mar 23, 2016, 04:09 PM
its really frustrating to still read all of the negativity that S/T and SNW gets from Chino...

He called Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Event "probably his favourite Deftones song" and said he is proud of their self-titled album. Not good enough?

yeah, nevermind me i'm just nitpicking cuz' i know i'll never hear Battle Axe or Deathblow live.

beaverwithfishyshoes

You know how people talk about they can't listen to certain songs after a break-up because it makes them sad and miss that person? Imagine that, except...way bigger problems than just a break-up, and you actually created the songs. That's a very strong attachment to negative feelings, and I can understand them not reliving it more than they have to. Of course, a few songs from Saturday Night Wrist would be awesome, and certainly some less-commonly played songs from the self-titled album would be great, but I guess it's difficult for them.

s/t isnt too dark to me. also, gratification and enjoyment is two different things. if youre writing justin biebers horrible tunes, its still something to come up with those hit songs.

Far away

LG95, I can't thank you enough! cheers

Moz

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Mar 23, 2016, 06:20 PM

s/t isnt too dark to me. also, gratification and enjoyment is two different things. if youre writing justin biebers horrible tunes, its still something to come up with those hit songs.

Hes not talking about it being dark to us. Chino's talking about it being a dark time for himself. its called association. he made the songs in a dark period in his life. doesnt mean he can't love the songs, it just that every time he plays them he has to relive those horrible times until that connection is lost, which can take tons of years or even forever. Like Anattyrat says, like some songs that remind you of a bad relationship only times a hundred because you wrote the songs.

from_musings

Quote from: Hidalgo
i think chino is "so so" on S/T. for years he didn't care for it that much, but has somewhat warmed up to it lately.

..and now he's warm enough to call himself proud of it. good eye for tendencies there by you i must say

Jimmy_McNulty

Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event... Chino's favourite Deftones song ever? Well, nice surprise. A great song to play live, they could do it.

Abe and Chi almost a year without speaking? I did not expect it at all. It's been 3 years already, we miss him so much.

16 eternal days!

from_musings

Quote from: Jimmy_McNulty on Mar 23, 2016, 08:03 PM
Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event... Chino's favourite Deftones song ever? Well, nice surprise. A great song to play live, they could do it.

they did play it live at chi's benefit concert(s)

StaminaDaddy

anniversary of an uninteresting event is a soul tune. and chino is finally warming up to S/T? do you really think when he recorded that he was like oh shit, i suck now? they knew it was their best shit and they were on the cover of a magazine back then i forgot which one, and chino finally took a long awaited shit on the nu metal scene and told the truth and also called out metallica talking about how they were going to rock their shit on the summer sanitarium tour, so no he's always loved that album, stop eating his words, he has moods and knows how to be humble about his works, except in that article which I wish i could remember the magazine. anyone?

Inkblades

Thanks for the article! Great read. It also finally clears up what I've been arguing on Sharing Lungs forever: S/T is an album they should be proud of and it's also better than SNW. Chino agrees with me.  ;D

from_musings

Quote from: StaminaDaddy on Mar 23, 2016, 08:18 PM
..except in that article which I wish i could remember the magazine. anyone?

don't remember the name but there were bullet holes on it with blood coming out of them... it was like omg shots fired by chino

Jimmy_McNulty

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 23, 2016, 08:11 PM
Quote from: Jimmy_McNulty on Mar 23, 2016, 08:03 PM

they did play it live at chi's benefit concert(s)

Dude it's true! I didn't remember, beautiful performance.

StaminaDaddy

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 23, 2016, 08:26 PM
Quote from: StaminaDaddy on Mar 23, 2016, 08:18 PM
..except in that article which I wish i could remember the magazine. anyone?

don't remember the name but there were bullet holes on it with blood coming out of them... it was like omg shots fired by chino

lol never saw that one, sounds cool. but no chino just had a big smirk on his face on the cover.

whitefur

StaminaDaddy

Freedomsoldier17

chino did duck faces before they were cool

whitefur

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 23, 2016, 09:45 PM
chino did duck faces before they were cool

Chino does everything before it is cool.