Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Tour: Live guide + video footage

Started by Vesanic, Jul 26, 2012, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

A month back or so, maybe less, someone pm'd me they would tape a show on this tour. To that person : hit me up plz

sooniletugo

Typical, people record Rocket Skates, Change etc but not WHTY or Mx...

The fact they're playing more songs from Diamond Eyes and KNY gives a vibe that they're not confident in these songs. I saw them on the first tour date after KNY was released and they played 5 new songs that night. On DE tour they played like 8.

B_S_79

Quote from: sooniletugo on May 12, 2016, 12:33 PM
Typical, people record Rocket Skates, Change etc but not WHTY or Mx...

The fact they're playing more songs from Diamond Eyes and KNY gives a vibe that they're not confident in these songs. I saw them on the first tour date after KNY was released and they played 5 new songs that night. On DE tour they played like 8.

I agree completely. They aren't confident they can pull it off. This is what nostalgia acts do. Make new music and use it as an excuse to tour and play the same old songs - maybe play 1 or 2 new songs.

Hey it's cool to play WHTY and MX, but there's been 11 songs on your backburner for a year and a half. Maybe try them out?

I'm seeing them in Philly and Asbury Park. Shows 44 and 45. I said I was retiring from Deftones shows at number 50. Maybe I'll retire after 45.

Vesanic

This is why I don't get Chino's point of view about nostalgia sets. The band is so hell bent on not doing something they did before, the thing is, nobody is feeling like they stay in any place for more than a minute. It's bit paranoid.

He calls out bands who do nostalgia sets, probably because he thinks it's stupid to recreate an old feeling if it's not spontaneous, and I get it, but hey.. Weezer does them. And that gives them enough space to focus on their newer material, which is very obviously what he wants to do.

He'd actually be doing himself a favor if he changed sets drastically at this point, even to play just DE/KNY/G + singles type of sets (ugh). Unless he truly doesn't give a shit about being an "other-level" type of live act anymore, but that won't help him getting Gore recognized.

B_S_79

Quote from: MrVesanique on May 12, 2016, 12:59 PM
This is why I don't get Chino's point of view about nostalgia sets. The band is so hell bent on not doing something they did before, the thing is, nobody is feeling like they stay in any place for more than a minute. It's bit paranoid.

He calls out bands who do nostalgia sets, probably because he thinks it's stupid to recreate an old feeling if it's not spontaneous, and I get it, but hey.. Weezer does them. And that gives them enough space to focus on their newer material, which is very obviously what he wants to do.

He'd actually be doing himself a favor if he changed sets drastically at this point, even to play just DE/KNY/G + singles type of sets (ugh). Unless he truly doesn't give a shit about being an "other-level" type of live act anymore, but that won't help him getting Gore recognized.

So, do you think not changing the setlist is due to laziness or lack of confidence or lack of ability? I think it's a combination of the three.

Frankz0r

I'm seeing them on the next show (pompano, Friday) and I'm just fucking disappointed. I've been a fully deftones fan for 13 years, I've only seen them once back in 2007 (I'm from Venezuela, don't judge me) so this will be my second show and yes I'm excited but ever since the first show of this your they played I don't feel the same. For god's sake I'm gonna hear almost the same songs I heard live back in 2007!!! What the fuck... Engine 9 and Root at the end. Again? For about what... 12 years? Cmon... Also I'm sure they're not even gonna play anything from s/t and snw just because they (chino) don't like it anymore. Yes I'm pissed off. The only way I would be happier it's gonna be if I get to meet the guys.

Fuck you chino!!! I know you are the bitch here.

chuckles

Quote from: Frankz0r on May 12, 2016, 02:47 PM
I'm seeing them on the next show (pompano, Friday) and I'm just fucking disappointed. I've been a fully deftones fan for 13 years, I've only seen them once back in 2007 (I'm from Venezuela, don't judge me) so this will be my second show and yes I'm excited but ever since the first show of this your they played I don't feel the same. For god's sake I'm gonna hear almost the same songs I heard live back in 2007!!! What the fuck... Engine 9 and Root at the end. Again? For about what... 12 years? Cmon... Also I'm sure they're not even gonna play anything from s/t and snw just because they (chino) don't like it anymore. Yes I'm pissed off. The only way I would be happier it's gonna be if I get to meet the guys.

Por que debo juzgarte por ser de Venezuela?! Eres de venezolano y que Se joda! Yo soy boricua y Deftones Hasta la muerte... PUÑETA!! Lol
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

kurtone

Quote from: B_S_79 on May 12, 2016, 01:22 PM

So, do you think not changing the setlist is due to laziness or lack of confidence or lack of ability? I think it's a combination of the three.

I'd say laziness and lack of ability (Chino)

normsteez

I am not wasting my money on a deftones concert ticket. The days of great set lists are over. I am just glad I was able to see them over the years when the live shows were tremendous.

Its just sad now....
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

nineteen

I'll still go whatever as I'm not breaking 19 years of tradition! Yeah the sets might not compare sometimes to the old days but they still pull off some bangers - like London ULU. Personally, I was a tad disappointed prior to that for a while and then that show went down as one of the best for me, so you never know.

darkomilicic

I love how every clip has a description of how awesome the show was, they should spend more time griping about the set list and less time enjoying themselves jeeeesh!

sooniletugo

cvthedrv

pelican fly

Only thing i don't understand is how they are not playing more songs off of Gore. Besides that, I'm just happy they're still touring and making new music ( music i still enjoy for the most part) .

they got rid of 7 words at least

;)

ANattyRat

Quote from: Frankz0r on May 12, 2016, 02:47 PM

Please tape MX and What Happened To You if they play them, you may be our only ally in this.

77years

I think it's time to ask a question, to what degree does the record company or management have any control over their set list. 

Vesanic

Quote from: B_S_79 on May 12, 2016, 01:22 PM

I think Chino knows he's not the most academic guitar player or singer, he knows that he lacks some skills of a trained and coached one. That creates a lack a confidence in being able to handle long setlists, rehearsing thoroughly and ultimately giving outstanding performances. So he's scared, and doesn't change sets. And it comes out as laziness to most, because it is to some extent and they obviously have no time to grow another perspective. Like you said, a combination, I see it like a psychological pattern. (I studied a bit of that)

ZND84

Vesanique, the lack of diversity in their setlists isn't due to Chino being scared. It comes down to preparation. The members live too spread out making it difficult to rehearse. Chino is one of the most confident frontman in the game.

Vesanic

I don't mean an obvious lack of confidence, it can come up other ways. I don't think they're simply lazy on this.

B_S_79

Maybe they tried the new ones and were like "holy shit, no way we can pull this off.." and scrapped it.

See: Hearts/Wires. Played live twice. Disappeared from playlist. They've elected to use that as their intro track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk