Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diplo

jaypayton

lot of people i know who are deftones fans hate this album. also seen some bad reviews...seems like the general consensus (outside of the diehards) is the album is one big turd......probably the best thing to happen to the band because maybe it will keep Chino in check and stop him from taking over the entire band

Braincleaner

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 18, 2016, 08:41 PM
lot of people i know who are deftones fans hate this album. also seen some bad reviews...seems like the general consensus (outside of the diehards) is the album is one big turd......probably the best thing to happen to the band because maybe it will keep Chino in check and stop him from taking over the entire band

You've got to stop smoking man!

from_musings

hey jay, was this you at the needledrop when fantano gave gore a shitty review?

LG95

Nope, you're just trying to find the negative responses you daft twat. The overall consensus is that this is a really good album - that's what most of the reviews have said, that's what a vast majority of fans seem to think. Some aren't feeling it, which I understand completely because it is the sort of album that some people will struggle to get into, but the general consensus is certainly not that it is "one big turd" - that's just a reflection on you (quite literally).
I could float here forever

gwenudo

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 18, 2016, 09:32 PM
Nope, you're just trying to find the negative responses you daft twat. The overall consensus is that this is a really good album - that's what most of the reviews have said, that's what a vast majority of fans seem to think. Some aren't feeling it, which I understand completely because it is the sort of album that some people will struggle to get into, but the general consensus is certainly not that it is "one big turd" - that's just a reflection on you (quite literally).
He only hears what he wants to hear. Nothing more. All i saw was 9/10 everywhere and only a couple of lower ratings, he completely ignored the positive ones, because they dont correspond with his opinion
Was it like it seemed?...

jaypayton

Quote from: from_musings on Apr 18, 2016, 09:12 PM

LOL yea that was me..i had issues with that guy before. i got into an argument with him a year ago on FB after he decimated faith no mores new album

Sleeping_Giant

Jay is a true Gore fan and defender

Good job

LG95

I love Acid Hologram so much.
I could float here forever

ANattyRat

Quote from: lahemi on Apr 18, 2016, 07:22 PM
I didn't like the album after listening to it for the first and second time, at all, I never disliked a Deftones album that much after listening to it the first couple of times. After Rubicon ended the first time, I didn't even felt the need to listen to it again.
But damn, now I'm in love with it. I was like "Ugh, it isn't even the worst Deftones album, it's just a bad album", and now it is in my top 3 Deftones albums.
I guess the reason for that is, that it really feels like a cohesive album again rather than a collection of songs. To me, SNW, DE and KNY has really great songs, but I rarely listened to them front to back. Gore has standout tracks too, but I can appreciate them even more in context of the rest of the album. And I guess I didn't expect that, because it has been such a long time since I saw an album by them like that.
But anyway, because of that, I do like a couple of songs only in context of the album (Teenager comes in mind, I love it, but not on its own). It's not that I dislike H/W, but when I listen to it on its own, it's really bland and disappointing after such a beautiful intro. But you guys seem to really enjoy it.

So yeah, I just want to ask you guys: do you like H/W more than say Rosemary?

I prefer Hearts/Wires, I hardly ever listen to Rosemary these days. I like it a lot, but it isn't the kind of song that I actively seek out to listen to.

HooiserBowhunter

I didn't like the album after listening to it for the first and second time, at all, I never disliked a Deftones album that much after listening to it the first couple of times. After Rubicon ended the first time, I didn't even felt the need to listen to it again.
But damn, now I'm in love with it. I was like "Ugh, it isn't even the worst Deftones album, it's just a bad album", and now it is in my top 3 Deftones albums.
I guess the reason for that is, that it really feels like a cohesive album again rather than a collection of songs. To me, SNW, DE and KNY has really great songs, but I rarely listened to them front to back. Gore has standout tracks too, but I can appreciate them even more in context of the rest of the album. And I guess I didn't expect that, because it has been such a long time since I saw an album by them like that.
But anyway, because of that, I do like a couple of songs only in context of the album (Teenager comes in mind, I love it, but not on its own). It's not that I dislike H/W, but when I listen to it on its own, it's really bland and disappointing after such a beautiful intro. But you guys seem to really enjoy it.

I like Rosemary better than H/W, but I like H/W better than any song on DE. Which is weird to me b/c I think DE is a better over all record than both Koi and Gore. I think the only reason I like Koi better than Gore is simply that I just love Tempest, Leathers, Entombed, and Rosemary over H/W, Acid Hologram, (L)mirl, and Phantom Bride. I just prefer the sound of Koi or DE. I will say I like Gore more than ATF.

therealdaebat

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Apr 18, 2016, 11:40 PM
I will say I like Gore more than ATF.

ducks and covers
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

pelican fly

yea, Hearts sounds simple but it's layered just right. the tension explodes in the last 2+ min and that makes the song what it's supposed to be.

Quote from: LG95 on Apr 18, 2016, 10:35 PM
I love Acid Hologram so much.

I wish it wouldn't end most times I hear it.

Inkblades

I'd say so. Rosemary's a great song, but like Poltergeist, Beware and Rapture, I just prefer the live version. Rosemary live has a bit of a cool twangy Western vibe that is lost in the studio version. Also, I kind of can't stand Stephen's retread of that repetitive ass Diamond Eyes riff at the end of the song. H/W ends with more of a cathartic high for me. I'm actually kinda glad we never got a studio version of Finger of Death, because there's a good possibility that the searing intensity of the live version would have been completely lost in a studio version.

Cullision

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 18, 2016, 09:57 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Apr 18, 2016, 09:12 PM

LOL yea that was me..i had issues with that guy before. i got into an argument with him a year ago on FB after he decimated faith no mores new album

You're my hero lol

illthrowROCKS@U

How could it be that "the general consensus (outside of the diehards) is the album is one big turd," when the only album of theirs to be ranked higher on Metacritic is KNY? Clearly there's a disconnect here... It is by every measure a huge critical and commercial success. If anything, the people like you are by far in the minority.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jaypayton

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 19, 2016, 02:59 AM
How could it be that "the general consensus (outside of the diehards) is the album is one big turd," when the only album of theirs to be ranked higher on Metacritic is KNY? Clearly there's a disconnect here... It is by every measure a huge critical and commercial success. If anything, the people like you are by far in the minority.

I dont dislike the album. i think its better than KNY. im talking about for the casual deftones fan, it seems like theres a lot of negative reactions....the casual fans got hard off of DE and KNY..i kinda like that the album is alienating some people....always good to challenge and piss off your fanbase, thats why faith no more is my fav band.

kurtone

Ahhh the casual fans, the ones who only record My Own Summer on their phone and only know three songs, My Own Summer, Change and Diamond Eyes.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 19, 2016, 03:16 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 19, 2016, 02:59 AM

I dont dislike the album. i think its better than KNY. im talking about for the casual deftones fan, it seems like theres a lot of negative reactions....the casual fans got hard off of DE and KNY..i kinda like that the album is alienating some people....always good to challenge and piss off your fanbase, thats why faith no more is my fav band.

You're right. The casual fans and the new fans aren't used to the changes. KNY wasn't really much of a stylistic change from DE. Not that it was exactly the same by any means, but it wasn't that different either. The change between DE and KNY is probably the smallest change between 2 consecutive albums they've ever had.

People who lived through the previous albums know very well that their sound changes through every album. We're used to it, they're not. They thought Deftones would maintain the overly clean, simplistic, and fairly radio-friendly songs from DE and (to a lesser extent) KNY. They just weren't prepared I guess.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem