Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMaggit

I wish Jerry Cantrell would have played on Acid Hologram, which I think captured an AiC vibe. I'm not saying it sounds like AiC, I just think that JC's unique tone would have fitted that mood perfectly. Very Facelift (AiC's first album) kinda vibe, in my opinion.

Phantom Bride's outro is mind blowing, 100% Jerry Cantrell with beautiful contrast coming from Steph. I don't like the rest of the song though, unfortunately. It just doesn't stick out at all.

Vesanic

Respectfully, fuck that. It would have been too... "dimensional"? I don't know, I think it would have gone too many places and would have decreased the quality ultimately.

77years

Something about the "rock n roll" quality of Phanton bride is at odds with Acid hologram and its car-crash middle noise section and the ending chorusy return, which I love.  2 totally different & new moods

rainnyx4

The 80's butt rock stuff (like PB) on Gore sucks. There are a lot of tones and styles to take from the 80's but the butt rock stuff was terrible then and it's terrible now.

whitefur

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 13, 2016, 04:26 PM
The 80's butt rock stuff (like PB) on Gore sucks. There are a lot of tones and styles to take from the 80's but the butt rock stuff was terrible then and it's terrible now.

Butt rock started in the 90s. PB is 80s metal

The Cyndicate

As far as I know, this "butt rock" term is a new thing millennials seem to have come up with, or are using in a trendy way. It's as bad as the claimed "butt rock" you don't like.

Dath

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 13, 2016, 11:28 PM
As far as I know, this "butt rock" term is a new thing millennials seem to have come up with, or are using in a trendy way. It's as bad as the claimed "butt rock" you don't like.

It comes from a late 90s/early 2000s rock radio campaign with the tagline "Nothing But Rock." Stations would run that and start playing stuff like Nickelback, and people made a joke of it. At this point it doesn't really mean anything most of the time it's brought up.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Dath on May 14, 2016, 12:27 AM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 13, 2016, 11:28 PM

It comes from a late 90s/early 2000s rock radio campaign with the tagline "Nothing But Rock." Stations would run that and start playing stuff like Nickelback, and people made a joke of it. At this point it doesn't really mean anything most of the time it's brought up.

That seems like it would be regional.

I was touring during that time and never heard the term at all.

Freedomsoldier17

I know this is a well established fact but man, the phantom bride outro is heavier than a neutron star

E-Money

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on May 14, 2016, 06:16 AM
I know this is a well established fact but man, the phantom bride outro is heavier than a neutron star

Absolutely love that track. Hope they play it eventually.

BallZDeeP

Hey guys. I see a few of us havent been prosecuted or sued so on that note..wsup! How are you all?

Gore

Quote from: from_musings on May 06, 2016, 09:33 AM
Quote from: krook on May 06, 2016, 05:12 AM
PB and H/W are the Gore versions of Rosemary and Tempest.

if that's true, Gore won by 2-0 in that ballad contest

No way! Rosemary is a masterpiece, PB (except for the ending) and H/W are fucking uninspired dirges. H/W doesn't even have a decent melody in the verses. Chino sings "nothing to sing about" and makes me believe him. It really is the most lazy uninspired song I've heard from Deftones, apart from (L)mirl.

Gore

Really enjoying the rest of the album but those three bore fests as well as the crappy, grating effects on Chino's screams stop it from being something great. Acid Hologram and Rubicon are awesome.

77years

Quote from: BallZDeeP on May 14, 2016, 05:59 PM
Hey guys. I see a few of us havent been prosecuted or sued so on that note..wsup! How are you all?

No drones outside my window.  8)

Been trying to learn the bridge guitar riff to Pittura Infamante on bass

pinata89

Guys, I fucking love Gore, don't get me wrong.  This new album is so much more refreshing than DE or KNY, in my opinion...

...But I go back to Self-Titled, and it feels like losing my virginity again.  I attribute the majority of this feeling to the mix--- #BringBackTerryDate

pinata89

I mean, I know most ppl give the direction of the new production the benefit of the doubt...but I would welcome any negative feedback towards Terry Date.  I bet it's minimal and extinguishable.  I think we all would be extremely excited for a new Deftones release if we knew it involved Terry Date...even Deftones 2.0 fans have to agree with that.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: pinata89 on May 18, 2016, 07:03 AM
I mean, I know most ppl give the direction of the new production the benefit of the doubt...but I would welcome any negative feedback towards Terry Date.  I bet it's minimal and extinguishable.  I think we all would be extremely excited for a new Deftones release if we knew it involved Terry Date...even Deftones 2.0 fans have to agree with that.

What is people's problem with Ezrin? I love Date too, but those mixes Ezrin did were pretty epic in my opinion.

krook

It's been over a month since the release and now I can rank the songs from better to worse:

Rubicon
Xenon
Pittura
P/T
(L)MIRL
Acid Hologram
Gore
Doomed User
H/W
GH
PB
I hate White Pony.

rainnyx4

Acid Hologram
Doomed User
P/T

Those first three songs are great tracks and I find no problems with them at all. Some parts of them could've been a little more fleshed out or maybe a little more could've been added to them, but they're all solid enough tracks that if they were found in an overall better crafted album would fit in just fine.

Xenon - Good song, best chorus on the album, but needed something more of a real bridge and/or intro/outro to make it more interesting and less predictable.

GH - Another good song, but the production on this is fucking awful. The instrumentation sounds so muffled to the point where you feel like you're listening to an indie rock band.

Rubicon - Good enough song except for the slight amount of laziness that should've been so obvious to the band that they needed to change. That verse riff of Steph's is snoozeville. Really, that should have just been accomplished by Sergio and there should have been some sort of atmospheric lead or noise provided by the guitars, or at least that should have been added on top. This song has definite Failure worship to it and they should've followed suit on that with the verse. Also would've been nice if they maybe added a solo or additional guitar lead fills to the final chorus.

H/W - This song is OK. But, it's nothing special. I dig the intros this band does but it doesn't lead into a song that's worth the buildup. If the rest of the album hadn't been so disappointing, I might be able to view this track in a different light, but because of that, this song just adds to the overall middling nature of the work.

(L)MIRL - Starts off pretty great and Chino's vocal performance on the first verse is creepy as hell. But the tonal shift of this song is jarring and it doesn't really work. I love the more romantic or upbeat stuff this band does (Entombed is a top 5 Deftones track for me), but what they did here just doesn't work.

PB - Of all the genres and styles to draw upon from the 80's, cheesy butt metal balladry is not one of them. This might have been OK as a quirky and/or ironic b-side, but keep that shit out of this band.

Gore - LAZY AS FUCK. Don't know why they thought this song was good enough for the record (maybe they were throwing Steph a bone?). This sounds like something a shitty high school band would write.

PI - I'm all for this band's experimentation and inclusion of different musical styles. But like in the case of PB, Weezer is not something that works in the context of this band's sound (and I fucking love early Weezer).  Again, might have worked as a b-side, but the entire tone of this song is so out of place for this band, even on this album.

Really like the tone and artistic effort put into those first three tracks. But after that, this album drops off fast and I have some kind of major problem with each of the remaining tracks. And even among those three that I think lives up to this bands legacy, there isn't really a song that I have a kind of super strong visceral connection to. Even S/T, which I thought was a super lazy and disappointing album, at least had Anniversary.

I think this might be their worst album.

Braincleaner

Acid Hologram
Prayers/Triangles
Hearts/Wires
Doomed User
Rubicon
Xenon
Geometric Headdress
Pittura Infamante
(L)MIRL
Phantom Bride
Gore

I agree that the first three songs are among the strongest, but personally i think most of this album holds up really well.
Phantom Bride and L(MIRL) are good songs, but only OK Deftones' songs, and Gore is a huge borefest apart from Abes drumming in the first verse.