The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazzy

Quote from: theis on May 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
Currently reading:

Great stuff. A real eye-opener.

You should give it a try, Mazzy ;)

i've read it. i liked it but it didn't really open my eyes. most of my atheist friends hate him. i liked his mini-series based on the book though.

i'm reading a book called discourses of brigham young by john a. widtsoe. i don't agree with mormonism but it has a lot a things about god and christ that i agree with.

neurotic

currently reading Demian by H. Hesse.. i like it so far...
...never trust the obvious...

WetPunaniOvenBaked

oh my god everyone the new harry potter is so amazing

rxqueen

Quote from: neurotic on Jul 22, 2007, 01:41 AM
currently reading Demian by H. Hesse.. i like it so far...

Best book ever. I lover Hermann Hesse, I lolololoooooove him.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Yeah. Turns out I didn't like Survivor very much.

Choke is soooooo much better.

BigDave

reading saturday by ian mcewan

Nailec

i just finished "Ahasver" by Stephan Heym which was totally awesome. nice storylinies which are connectet which each other and a cool view on the whole passion jesu story and the role of jesus...

definitely worth reading!

then i read "Riverside" by Joseph Roth who is also well known in the usa i guess. ok book with geniuos way of telling the story. a helluva lot of new word contructions etc etc

i start some classical drama now. dont know which. i guess some Friedrich Schiller

Nailec

tell me about demian emma. youre the second person i know with this favourite book.

i got holiday until october... a lot of time for me  ::)

neurotic

H. G. Wells - War of the worlds (i read that when i'm not home, so on buses, while waiting for a bus etc.)
and
David Icke - The Biggest Secret
...never trust the obvious...

tarkil

I'm reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke at the moment...
It's supposed to be great, for now, it's just OK, I'm waiting for the time when the book is gonna hook me up...
Hopefully it gonna be soon as story is beginning to get going....

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

theis

i gotta get my hands on The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.

i read a little about it and it sounds sick.

Fireal1222

im sure i already posted it somewhere in this thread

but i believe the last book i read in full was "goosebumps: attack of the mutant" when i was like 12

that book was great. by the way

anyway. the latest reading ive been doing  is usually in a high times. or studying different types of philosophies on life

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

yoda on mars

the last thing I read was THE HAMMER OF GODS: LED ZEPPELIN HISTORY.

ChickdelaLynch

I read The Average American Male all last night. It's a really great book despite being dirty as hell. At points you feel bad for the guy, and at other times you think he's just a misogynistic asshole.

goldpony

Anybody read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy? the book kicked ass, imagine "The Stand" only bleaker
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: theis on Sep 12, 2007, 09:28 AM

That book is amazing.  Seriously one of the only books I've ever read that I had trouble finishing.  They just made it into a movie, can't remember if it's a short film or full length, but just was shown at a film festival.  Ketchum is one of my favorite authors, very realistic and raw.  Let me know what you think.

J.C. Costelluccio

Check out "The Gay Science" by Friedrich Neitzsche. It will change your life if your willing to put your vows to rest.

theis

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Oct 16, 2007, 02:34 AM

That book is amazing.  Seriously one of the only books I've ever read that I had trouble finishing.  They just made it into a movie, can't remember if it's a short film or full length, but just was shown at a film festival.  Ketchum is one of my favorite authors, very realistic and raw.  Let me know what you think.

haha i should have figured you'd already read it...a book like that :D

they've made a movie based on the book. the few reviews it's been getting, so far, have been really good. sounds like they're staying true to the novel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830558/

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: theis on Oct 17, 2007, 10:25 PM
Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Oct 16, 2007, 02:34 AM

haha i should have figured you'd already read it...a book like that :D

they've made a movie based on the book. the few reviews it's been getting, so far, have been really good. sounds like they're staying true to the novel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830558/

Lol, yeah of course I've read it.  If they stay true to the novel it'll be one hell of a movie. 

Jerry_Curls

I recently finished After Dark by Haruki Murakami. I loved it. Everytime I read a book by him, it always relates to my life at that moment and that creepy. I love his style of writing.

Next I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five. Never read it. Excited.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.