Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Korn

Started by Moz La Punk, Feb 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheScumfiend

Quote from: ToneDef on Mar 02, 2006, 11:29 PM
As I said, It would depend on your personal interpretation of the word. I'd consider elements of their early sound somewhat brutal. Others obviously may not, but who gives a fuck?

I give a fuck.  Not really it depends on actually bothering to listen to the sounds being produced by the instruments, the way the band perform i.e. a truly brutal band would fuck shit up, run into the crowd despite any harm that may be caused to hmself the crowd, his instrument.

and then after using your sesnses to observe these things using your intellect take into consideration the actual deffinition of the word your using, and then consider other bands that produce diffrent music that could be considered brutal , then see which fits the description of the word best, and then in terms of the description notice that many bands fatly overshawdow korn in terms of fitting the description.  and then realise that any brutalness that korn may or may not have is insignificant compared to other bands.  and that by saying a band is brutal you are not saying that it has a degree of brutality coz then all bands could be considered brutal, but that to use the word in this context it would be the highest degrees of the context, and therefore korn are not brutal as they fit the description far less (like a millionth) than bands like Anal Cunt, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, pig destroyer.
My weekly Chart:

indychino

Quote from: TheScumfiend on Mar 02, 2006, 11:45 PM
As I said, It would depend on your personal interpretation of the word. I'd consider elements of their early sound somewhat brutal. Others obviously may not, but who gives a fuck?

I give a fuck.  Not really it depends on actually bothering to listen to the sounds being produced by the instruments, the way the band perform i.e. a truly brutal band would fuck shit up, run into the crowd despite any harm that may be caused to hmself the crowd, his instrument.

and then after using your sesnses to observe these things using your intellect take into consideration the actual deffinition of the word your using, and then consider other bands that produce diffrent music that could be considered brutal , then see which fits the description of the word best, and then in terms of the description notice that many bands fatly overshawdow korn in terms of fitting the description.  and then realise that any brutalness that korn may or may not have is insignificant compared to other bands.  and that by saying a band is brutal you are not saying that it has a degree of brutality coz then all bands could be considered brutal, but that to use the word in this context it would be the highest degrees of the context, and therefore korn are not brutal as they fit the description far less (like a millionth) than bands like Anal Cunt, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, pig destroyer.

Bro, have you heard Cephalic Carnage? Thats brutal. Like Anal Cu*t but with shorter songs :)

TheScumfiend

Quote from: indychino on Mar 02, 2006, 11:48 PM

Bro, have you heard Cephalic Carnage? Thats brutal. Like Anal Cu*t but with shorter songs :)

Yeah I have, although not much, I'm pretty lazy I've heard of fat loads of bands that I know I like but like 90% of them I haven't heard much more than a couple of tracks and never get round to getting more of them no matter how much I intend to.  Cephalic carnage are one of those bands.  But I will get round to getting them another time.  Deffinatly brutal though.

I'd question the shorter song bit.  I mena anal cunt released that vynl which was several thousand songs, I mena thats so many songs that they all have to be less than a second.
My weekly Chart:

worship

ok,man you are talking to me like i'm a newbee,or whatever you called it!
yes i know what brutal means,you know...i listen to grind core as well,i understand what you are trying to say! i meant brutal in -other term-! did you ever heard necro? his shit is brutal,and still, he is not grind core!so your definition doesen't make sense! no hate!
and i never said that i did my time is raw or whatever! i was saying-they were!
it's a past time!

worship

it's stupid to argue around one stupid word! i wish i could say it in my language, so you could understand,but there is language barieres betwin us, and i can't help it...bur still i'm saying:shit WAS raw,sick, fast in some moments, deep, dark and yes, brutal!! hehehe

TheScumfiend

Quote from: worship on Mar 03, 2006, 12:24 AM
ok,man you are talking to me like i'm a newbee,or whatever you called it!

To be fair I'm talking to you just the same as I would someone who has several thousand posts, if i disagree with them.   also to be fair, I signed up only a couple of days ago, so it would be hypocrytical of me to call you a noob, as I technically am once as well.  I don't personally use the word noob to describe someone ever unless as a joke, or discusion on the word.

I never once said that you didn't listen to grind.  and no grind bands obviously aren't the only brutal bands.  I was just using them as examples as I tend to listen to more grind than death metal.  Morbid Angel are brutal, Tower of rome are brutal, orchid are brutal, I'd probably even call Slayer Brutal, but never korn.

Ok I accept the way you see the word may be diffrent to the way people brought up with english understand the word.  But your not the only person in this thread who described them as brutal.  and my posts were meant just as much for them as they were for you.
My weekly Chart:

ToneDef

You trying to sound clever or something? Guess what.. Failure.

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not a particular fan of Korn. I like some of their stuff, yeah. But I'm not some fan boy. Secondly, just because you listen to all that (IMO) gay fucking speed metal grindcore/hardcore/gaycore/whatever the fuck you wanna label it doesn't mean you're educated in all forms of brutality. For example, if I were inclined to do so I could fuck your mother up the ass with a razorblade covered strap-on before setting her hair on fire. You would no doubt consider that reasonably brutal. I on the other hand would consider it fun as I'd obviously be some kind of sicko who enjoys stuff like that. You see how opinions can differ?

bru·tal    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (brtl)
adj.
Extremely ruthless or cruel.
Crude or unfeeling in manner or speech.
Harsh; unrelenting: a brutal winter in the Arctic.
Disagreeably precise or penetrating: spoke with brutal honesty

I'm not gonna comment on like every definition there, but I'll say that the last one has some relevance to my point of view.

We'll begin with Jonathans lyrics. I for one would say on the first two albums they are indeed "spoke with brutal honesty". You only have to watch Who Then Now to see how true his words are. I'm not saying I'm into them, I'm simply stating that it's perfectly clear how much his words mean to him. I'd also call them somewhat penetrating. They hit damn hard considering what kind of listener you are. Imagine if you were also some kind of victim of child abuse. I'd imagine they would hit you like a foot to the face. Harder perhaps than even the fastest band you can muster simply because his lyrics would have more emotional relevance that some Viking roaring about raping some horse.

Now consider Korns music as whole (I'm still only reffering to the first two records). Because you listen to all that shitcore stuff then it's understandable you wouldn't think much of Korns sound in the way of brutality. My grandma on the other hand could quite possibly suffer a stroke upon listening to Life Is Peachy. I wouldn't imagine she's heard anything quite like it before and it would certainly be a blow to the senses. If that ain't brutal I don't know what is. Being hospitalised from a CD.

It seems to me, son that you have to accept people have different opinions of what's this and what's that. Just because it doesn't sound brutal to you it does not mean people are going to feel the same.  Also, please try and learn that the term brutal does not just refer to the volume, relentlesness or speed of something. It can also be judged on emotional impact and factors of ones musical tastes.

Oh, and Scumfiend.. Consider yourself pwned.

TheScumfiend

Quote from: ToneDef on Mar 03, 2006, 12:10 PM

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not a particular fan of Korn. I like some of their stuff, yeah. But I'm not some fan boy. Secondly, just because you listen to all that (IMO) gay fucking speed metal grindcore/hardcore/gaycore/whatever the fuck you wanna label it doesn't mean you're educated in all forms of brutality. For example, if I were inclined to do so I could fuck your mother up the ass with a razorblade covered strap-on before setting her hair on fire. You would no doubt consider that reasonably brutal. I on the other hand would consider it fun as I'd obviously be some kind of sicko who enjoys stuff like that. You see how opinions can differ?

adj.

I'm not gonna comment on like every definition there, but I'll say that the last one has some relevance to my point of view.

We'll begin with Jonathans lyrics. I for one would say on the first two albums they are indeed "spoke with brutal honesty". You only have to watch Who Then Now to see how true his words are. I'm not saying I'm into them, I'm simply stating that it's perfectly clear how much his words mean to him. I'd also call them somewhat penetrating. They hit damn hard considering what kind of listener you are. Imagine if you were also some kind of victim of child abuse. I'd imagine they would hit you like a foot to the face. Harder perhaps than even the fastest band you can muster simply because his lyrics would have more emotional relevance that some Viking roaring about raping some horse.

Now consider Korns music as whole (I'm still only reffering to the first two records). Because you listen to all that shitcore stuff then it's understandable you wouldn't think much of Korns sound in the way of brutality. My grandma on the other hand could quite possibly suffer a stroke upon listening to Life Is Peachy. I wouldn't imagine she's heard anything quite like it before and it would certainly be a blow to the senses. If that ain't brutal I don't know what is. Being hospitalised from a CD.

It seems to me, son that you have to accept people have different opinions of what's this and what's that. Just because it doesn't sound brutal to you it does not mean people are going to feel the same.  Also, please try and learn that the term brutal does not just refer to the volume, relentlesness or speed of something. It can also be judged on emotional impact and factors of ones musical tastes.

To be fair I wasn't trying to make myself sound clever, thats just the way I talk, if you have a problem with that I could careless.

Yes you do rise good points, but I wont consider myself pwned.  But I would still diagree.  Can't be arsed to argue this anymore.  Sounds like I'm wiging out but if I were to write another hughe post you would, just write another and then I another untill it just gets boaring.  Plus My concentration span of an argument is only about a day, that day ended yesterday.
My weekly Chart:

ToneDef

I respect that.

Assassin

Quote from: ToneDef on Mar 03, 2006, 12:10 PMYou trying to sound clever or something? Guess what.. Failure.

adj.

Haha good post 'Trav'. That doesn't happen often... :P

Corleone

i got into deftones instead of korn, so i never had a phase lol :)

BigDave

adj.

but in terms of all metal or agressive music, regardless of anyones taste, korn are very tame.  then again i do listen to gaycore.

Azwethinkweiz

I just listened to Life is Peachy.

How can you not like this album?

stfu haters, this album is gritty, nasty, brutal and plain awesome.
It's a shame Korn is dead now.

(life is peachy = by far their best album)

DefGuy

-Jon Davis is so fucking fat
-When Korn came out and kicked ass he was skinny
-Korn sucks now because he's so fucking fat

Well that's my theory, hahaha... if you dont think similar, well, i don't care...

"I just like the way my dick feels when i listen to certain types of sounds...sometimes i hear certain sounds and they make my dick really fucking hard"  -Chino Moreno

Sam

I liked their self-titled album and Life is Peachy.  After that they kinda went to shit.

lithium royalty

after issues imo even though untouchables had some good songs..

fireflyry

Harder perhaps than even the fastest band you can muster simply because his lyrics would have more emotional relevance that some Viking roaring about raping some horse.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Sam

Quote from: lithium royalty on Apr 07, 2006, 06:23 AM
after issues imo even though untouchables had some good songs..

Yeah..I retract my previous statement.  Issues was a pretty good album.  Don't dig Untouchables though.  I tried downloading it last week but...I just couldn't get into it.  Delete>Empty Recycle Bin.

Moz La Punk

Quote from: DefGuy on Apr 07, 2006, 05:27 AM
-Jon Davis is so fucking fat
-When Korn came out and kicked ass he was skinny
-Korn sucks now because he's so fucking fat

Well that's my theory, hahaha... if you dont think similar, well, i don't care...

If we should listen to your theory, Deftones must suck the motherload now.

Azwethinkweiz