Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

have the Deftones (finally) sold out?

Started by ltd_viper, Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ltd_viper

Ok. this is an honest question...there is no punch line at the end!

This is my opinion, so even though Im gonna get 1,000,000 little Chino lovers complaining that Im tone def and that im an egg, but i honestly think that they've sold out/past their use by date/gone to shit

I just want to discuss. they're not pushing the envelope in regards to music, it's like they've found a style that they're comfortable with and haven't moved from it.

I was really dissapointed with SLW...there are some wicked ideas on it, but they weren't explored enough.

Im an original Deftones fan (saw them WWWWWAAAAAAYYYY back in 98 with about 50 other people), so don't bash me or i'll find you and french you!!!!

one weak

i don't understand how SNW isn't pushing the envelope?????

XJohnnyX

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 AM
Ok. this is an honest question...there is no punch line at the end!

This is my opinion, so even though Im gonna get 1,000,000 little Chino lovers complaining that Im tone def and that im an egg, but i honestly think that they've sold out/past their use by date/gone to shit

I just want to discuss. they're not pushing the envelope in regards to music, it's like they've found a style that they're comfortable with and haven't moved from it.

I was really dissapointed with SLW...there are some wicked ideas on it, but they weren't explored enough.

Im an original Deftones fan (saw them WWWWWAAAAAAYYYY back in 98 with about 50 other people), so don't bash me or i'll find you and french you!!!!

its SNW not SLW hahaha

Fireal1222

SNW and ST , were both more straight forward albums. but far from selling out. they are just catchier.

i think SNW is a step in the right direction

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Jacob

I don't like people like you. no offence, but you can't go around acting like you're TRUE and therefore if you think the've sold out then that's a fact and if we try to argue that they haven't, you will just consider us not as big fans as you are. right?

well, here's my opinion anyways... I found s/t to be very uninspired and boring, and almost got the feeling that they were trying to write a hit record (Needles & Pins sounding so much like My Own Summer and both Deathblow and Minerva sounding a lot like Change). but with SNW they really showed us that they can do so much more if they just find the inspiration for it. they've gone where I doubt any of us expected them to go. and they've experimented even further with elements that are typical of them.

if you ask me, this is their best album to date and even though it might be a bit easier for new fans to get into that doesn't mean that they've sold out.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Swords

Quote from: one weak on Nov 01, 2006, 02:09 AM
i don't understand how SNW isn't pushing the envelope?????

word.

deftones HAVE NOT sold out.  writing more applicable songs is not an easy task.  the new record rules.  i've heard a bunch of people complaining that they've changed their sound again completely and now i'm hearing that they've found a sound and stuck with it?  more proof that u can't please everyone.
FYIHYD

ltd_viper

OK let me explain a bit further...

Sold out was a dumb subject...it was the first thing that came to my mind. i meant to say "have they run out of ideas"

SNW didn't move me. there is nothing ground breaking on it. The songs are good, but, for me, every other album was just dribbling creative juices. And this album just feels like they are going through the paces.

To put it bluntly...I think they are content. They have nothing left to prove musically anymore!

The first four albums, you could FEEL them playing the songs!

So don't cry if you disagree (but don't say nothing). I quit this board a while ago (it just turned plain boring), but was so dissapointed with the CD, I had to come back. I want people to prove me worng...but have an opinion please...

And Aenemic...i really don't consider myself a TRUE fan...no one is! i said that to save time. You said what I wanted people to say in this topic...your opinion! You are still an egg though...no offence

Swords

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:26 AM
OK let me explain a bit further...

Sold out was a dumb subject...it was the first thing that came to my mind. i meant to say "have they run out of ideas"

SNW didn't move me. there is nothing ground breaking on it. The songs are good, but, for me, every other album was just dribbling creative juices. And this album just feels like they are going through the paces.

To put it bluntly...I think they are content. They have nothing left to prove musically anymore!

The first four albums, you could FEEL them playing the songs!

So don't cry if you disagree (but don't say anything). I quite this board a while ago (it just turned plain boring), but was so dissapointed with the CD, I had to come back.

And Aenemic...i really don't consider myself a TRUE fan...no one is! i said that to save time. You said what I wanted people to say in this topic...your opinion! You are still an egg though...no offence

well that's TOTALLY different than selling out... fair enough.  i guess that's a matter of opinion.
FYIHYD

Jacob

ltd_viper

Quote from: aenemic on Nov 01, 2006, 02:28 AM
nah, you're the egg sir.
Im sorry, I haven't been here in ages and forget how 'sensitive' you are

Jacob

ltd_viper

Ok. I said I my 2c.

over and Out!

btw....go listen to Tension the wire (from New Zealand)

peace, hate and split wrists

Jacob

haha, wow... talk about sensitive...

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:26 AM

Exactly. THEY are content. They make the music. They do whatever they want. And you're right, they have nothing to prove so why should they try and be like the left-behind child screaming, "Look at me! look at me!" GET OVER IT YOU GUYS.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

dai_the_flu86

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Nov 01, 2006, 02:12 AM
SNW and ST , were both more straight forward albums. but far from selling out. they are just catchier.

i think SNW is a step in the right direction

ImATumbler

cant EVEN breathe

I say everyone should stop bitching about SNW if you dont like it then dont listen to it anymore you still have a handfull of other deftones cds to listn to plus if deftones made another WP that shit would get old quick

jbmp1390

I know what kind of person you are. You're one of those people who loves to be a fan of something from the very beginning. You think that that somehow makes you a better fan. You only like stuff that's unpopular and unknown. The minute that becomes slightly known and it's out of your own private little bubble, you stop liking it and move on to the next obscure thing. The album is great. The Deftones haven't sold out.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

cant EVEN breathe

your right man so fucking what if more people listen to them now it all matters on how the music affects you and if you like it or not.

glassdomino

I see some of these songs as being a little more tame than what they have put out in the past, but there is genuine progression here in most of the songs that are far from qualifying as "sold out". 

Instead of sounding poppy or mainstream, it just sounds like they got their shit together and wrote some well thought out songs.  Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is where I'm still a little lost.