Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

have the Deftones (finally) sold out?

Started by ltd_viper, Nov 01, 2006, 04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snw9

i dont know whats wrong with ppl who think they've run out of ideas, maybe u guys didnt listen to the record properly. the change in sound alone is an idea, the way the vocals came out was an idea, the "genre" of the album was an idea, usin and instrumental was an idea..so the deftoens are still creative and still rockin!
Code: [Select]

CrenshawPUNCHED

yeah, honestly, you say you are an original fan yet you ride on them for making an album completely different than the original 2 albums. hell, its different than the last 4 albums. how can you change so successfully into a new sound and be charged with having no inspiration? could you not say that with more truth if ATF/WP 2 came out instead?
In Theory, you may be right. In Actuality, I am.

CaptainBosco

No way, like Chino said it's going to be heavier emotionally.
     I love it, i think HITE is my least favorite track.
     Kimdracula almost brought a tear to my eye.
  They haven't sold out in my opinion, I don't think this music appeals to 13 year old MCR and falloutboy fans, it's not that it's too deep, it's just not poppy enough. I think selling out would be making music like that, maybe i'm wrong.
          They've changed, and it's morbidly obvious, and fucking great. It honestly feels like they put uber amounts of work into it.
     I find few loose points in it, i do think Riviere was kind of a weak ending, but the lyrics to it were a great ending, i just would have liked a different arrangement of parts.
    bottomline it's really good... they didn't sell out.

caliphornia

SNW is different, fresh, new but still deftonish. it's a step in a new direction and there is no doubt about that. i love it. but of course, this is just one mans opinion.

Inkblades

Dear anyone who doesnt like SNW,

Give it up some time to grow on you.

Sincerely, Inkblades

tiger mode

this album is pure sex.

first of all...this album explores ALL of their sides. From moody rock to heavy. its more of an expansion of what theyve been able to do. Also Im tired of people saying that this album is weak cause it follows the pattern of White Pony. Take for example the people who compare PC to a weak teenager, or Rapture to a weak Elite. I say, Fuck you. The songs themselves are completely different. The reason the deftones do this is because they love to experiment, but they dont want to be fucking stupid. Okay, so lets just make a country deftones song. Im sure all of you 'experimental' lovers will be in for this, as 'true' fans and such. "If deftones doesnt keep changing their genre of music then they are sellouts." Thats the dumbest notion ive ever heard in my life.

The deftones have experimented vastly within their genre. And this album just takes it up a notch within each sound theyve produced. Theyve even created a newer sound with that of Mein, in my own opinion. Thats why i think a lot of people have trouble getting into the groove of that song.

Bergerac

This is the problem. Anybody who isn't immediately satisfied with SNW is, by the same token, just as 'little' a fan as anybody who, conversely, does like the album in the eyes of anybody that doesn't.

Personally, I have to agree that it isn't pushing the envelope, so much as it abandoning their sound. The interlude, HITE, Xerces and Pink Cellphone are heavily rooted in Team Sleep, and external influences like Mogwai on the interlude, and therefore have nothing to do with the progression of Deftones' sound. Even parts of other songs like Cherry Waves (chorus) sound like Team Sleep. It's mostly the vocal melodies and guitar lines - not electronics, btw.

Hole In The Earth, Rapture, Beware, Cherry Waves, Combat and Riviere.

Nothing within those songs sounds particularly new. Hole In The Earth is typical, light single material. I'm not knocking it - in all honesty, I think it's maybe the best track on the album in terms of simply being a good song, but it doesn't half sound like Ever. Rapture is Hexagram, ran through WGTB with almost no lyrical effort. Beware is a semi-S/T sounding song, only with ever more prominent synth. Cherry Waves ended up having some simple, Korn sounding synth in the final version, which is just boring. Combat could easily fit onto their previous album, and it's verses are a partner to Hexagram. Riviere, whilst great, is obviously a 'staple' song, so that's nothing new either. The only track which I think is actually pushing anything of Deftones' sound is Rats.

I'd rather have an album made from the demo songs that weren't present on SNW, 'cause they were better tunes - for Deftones songs. Lets just not even talk about Mein. Saturday Night Wrist is alright. I'll listen to it often, no doubt... but no way is it better than the previous four albums, or 'pushing the envelope'. I think people are confusing the fact that it doesn't have the signature sound for a progression. The demos were a progression of their sound. SNW is more like a Deftones/Team Sleep crossover. It's a complete tangent.

Ultimately, I have given it time to grow on me, but it still sounds the same, and I can't finally get into it like I did the last album, because it doesn't have the signature sound on it. If I could get into this album as a Deftones record, I'd rather be doing that right now than posting this. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a Deftones record, whereas the previous four, as different as they all were, did.

By all means, like it. I'm happy for you if you do, but I cannot shake the fact that this album doesn't sound right to me, and I don't agree that it's a progression at all.

kurtone

people need to remember that stephen said he took a backseat in writing this record, since he had done most of the writing on the previous ones...this reminds me of when everyone was saying S/T was just WP two...

tiger mode

To Bergerac. You post good opinions, but cant you look over the fact that Team Sleep is part of the deftones. Chino is in Team Sleep. Chino is a fifth of the deftones. ALSO...listen to the Team Sleep songs without Chino on it....ummmm that sounds nothing like a Team Sleep song then. Ultimately, Chino puts deftones influence on Team Sleep...its not the other way around.

With regards to Rats...thats their least pioneering song. It sounds like bands that I hear today in the stupid genre naming bands like thrash bash shit core, or something like that. Dont get me wrong though...Deftones showed them how its done, cause that song isnt gay.

Again with the comparing the songs to past songs. Thats wrong because you can tell how much theyve matured as artists within these songs. And when you say you'd rather have the SNW demo songs on this album because it sounds more particular to deftones' sound...doesnt that just show how you'd rather have the deftones stick to one particular sound, and not experiment?

Just wondering what you think on that.

AZDEFTONESFAN

A FUCKING AWESOME ALBUM! enough said!!!
Get well soon BROTHER! May god be with you!

Bergerac

Quote from: tiger mode on Nov 01, 2006, 07:50 AMTo Bergerac. You post good opinions, but cant you look over the fact that Team Sleep is part of the deftones. Chino is in Team Sleep. Chino is a fifth of the deftones. ALSO...listen to the Team Sleep songs without Chino on it....ummmm that sounds nothing like a Team Sleep song then. Ultimately, Chino puts deftones influence on Team Sleep...its not the other way around.

No, I think Team Sleep should remain completely seperated from Deftones. You wouldn't say that Queens Of The Stone Age were Kyuss, would you? Team Sleep and Deftones are quite obviously different ventures, which is why they're done by mostly different people. Team Sleep are quite obviously a different band to the members of the Deftones themselves, otherwise the other Deftones members wouldn't have gotten annoyed with Chino when he went on tour with them.

Quote from: tiger mode on Nov 01, 2006, 07:50 AMWith regards to Rats...thats their least pioneering song. It sounds like bands that I hear today in the stupid genre naming bands like thrash bash shit core, or something like that. Dont get me wrong though...Deftones showed them how its done, cause that song isnt gay.

Eh? Personally, I always laugh at the Slipknot riff in the intro, and I don't really care for the 'heavy bit' in the middle, because it's fairly redundant and monotonous. It's not random enough for my liking. On the other hand, the chorus of Rats is my favourite part of the album.

Quote from: tiger mode on Nov 01, 2006, 07:50 AMAgain with the comparing the songs to past songs. Thats wrong because you can tell how much theyve matured as artists within these songs. And when you say you'd rather have the SNW demo songs on this album because it sounds more particular to deftones' sound...doesnt that just show how you'd rather have the deftones stick to one particular sound, and not experiment?

Just wondering what you think on that.

The SNW demos aren't really past songs, because they're part of the same album. I think something traumatic has happened to you with regards to this experimentation thing, but uh, I didn't say that I wanted the Deftones to sound the same. I said that the demos sounded like the natural progression, and the new stuff doesn't sound much like them at all. It's just too different. The interlude is one obvious example of this album being tangential to that which came before.

I think it's important that they change their sound, but like I said, all four of the previous albums were different... but the point is they all sounded like they belonged to the same band. The SNW demos sounded like it was going to continue that trend. SNW itself, I don't believe it does continue this trend of experimenting with their sound, so much as it embraces a completely different sound.

siL.

first of all...the ezrin demos weren't made into songs for a reason...they're just not that good. And Bergerac talks about wanting to see some of these songs instead of the ones chosen for SNW, but just having a totally different sound doesnt equal progress if the songs themselves aren't good...progression doesn't equal quality

Fireal1222

i think SNW might be my favorite...

its really fucking good. i mean. really fucking good. better than i could have ever imagined

it may not be my favorite, but it definately, definately is the album they needed to release

god bless them, this album is gonna give me so many memories.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

DFTNSHXGRM

THE DUDE THAT STARTED THIS TOPIC.. WHAT A FOOL.

THE DEFTONES HAVE NOT SOLD OUT! THAT PISSES ME OFF THAT SOMEONE SAYS THAT..

1.WHEN THEY ARE ON THE POP STATIONS BEING PLAYED CONSTANTLY LIKE FUCKIN NICKELBACK AND SEETHER, THEN THEY'VE SOLD OUT.

2.WHEN YOU TURN ON MTV AND THEY ARE ON THERE AT ALL TIMES AND ON TRL (LIKE MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE.. ECT.) THEN THEY'VE SOLD OUT.

3.WHEN LITTLE TEENY BOPPER GIRLS ARE RIDING AROUND LISTENING TO THEIR MUSIC LIKE ITS JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE.. THEN THEYVE SOLD OUT.

Saturday Night Wrist is a great fucking album, and just because if might not have met your expectations.. doesnt mean they sold out. I had no high expectations for this album. Here's how I felt... they've put out 4 amazing albums that I never get tired of. Why worry if this one's going to be good or bad?

Bergerac

Quote from: siL. on Nov 01, 2006, 08:15 AM
first of all...the ezrin demos weren't made into songs for a reason...they're just not that good. And Bergerac talks about wanting to see some of these songs instead of the ones chosen for SNW, but just having a totally different sound doesnt equal progress if the songs themselves aren't good...progression doesn't equal quality

All the demos are better than anything on SNW.

CitizenSoul

Quote from: Bergerac on Nov 01, 2006, 09:21 AM
Quote from: siL. on Nov 01, 2006, 08:15 AM

All the demos are better than anything on SNW.

That sounds just as stupid as the quote you posted.

Oldnewtype

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 04:07 AM
Im an original Deftones fan (saw them WWWWWAAAAAAYYYY back in 98 with about 50 other people), so don't bash me or i'll find you and french you!!!!

hahahahahah. you say that like 98 was that long ago.

And fuck yeah Deftones are selling out, there wasn't one copy of Saturday night Wrist left when I called my friend at the record store just now.  They got all the promo shit I left there too, I'm stoked.

Subliminal

I don't understand how they can sell out? The only way they they'd sell out is by making pure pop songs and would be making albums every 6 months for cash.

Oldnewtype

Quote from: Bergerac on Nov 01, 2006, 07:39 AM
This is the problem. Anybody who isn't immediately satisfied with SNW is, by the same token, just as 'little' a fan as anybody who, conversely, does like the album in the eyes of anybody that doesn't.

Personally, I have to agree that it isn't pushing the envelope, so much as it abandoning their sound. The interlude, HITE, Xerces and Pink Cellphone are heavily rooted in Team Sleep, and external influences like Mogwai on the interlude, and therefore have nothing to do with the progression of Deftones' sound. Even parts of other songs like Cherry Waves (chorus) sound like Team Sleep. It's mostly the vocal melodies and guitar lines - not electronics, btw.

hahahhaha GODDAMN the people here are so quick to spit at the wall they're slipping on it themselves, and anyone would have to laugh at that.

So if this equation is right...does that mean my radiohead collection is pointless because it sounds like pink floyd?

Subliminal

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Nov 01, 2006, 10:41 AM
Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 04:07 AM
Im an original Deftones fan (saw them WWWWWAAAAAAYYYY back in 98 with about 50 other people), so don't bash me or i'll find you and french you!!!!

And fuck yeah Deftones are selling out, there wasn't one copy of Saturday night Wrist left when I called my friend at the record store just now.  They got all the promo shit I left there too, I'm stoked.

haha :D