Juicy Fruit

Have the Deftones (finally) sold out?

NO.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: cant EVEN breathe on Nov 01, 2006, 03:09 AM
I say everyone should stop bitching about SNW if you dont like it then dont listen to it anymore you still have a handfull of other deftones cds to listn to plus if deftones made another WP that shit would get old quick

Precisely. Bands are fucking damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If their last two albums were copies of White Pony you'd all be complaining about the band getting lazy and lacking creativity and relying on the success of White Pony and selling out. Instead, they continue to progress with their sound like any self-respecting band would do, and they get fucking hated on for S/T and SNW which are bloody amazing albums. People need to get a frickin' reality check.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

Far away

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 07, 2006, 03:56 AM
Quote from: cant EVEN breathe on Nov 01, 2006, 03:09 AM
I say everyone should stop bitching about SNW if you dont like it then dont listen to it anymore you still have a handfull of other deftones cds to listn to plus if deftones made another WP that shit would get old quick

Precisely. Bands are fucking damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If their last two albums were copies of White Pony you'd all be complaining about the band getting lazy and lacking creativity and relying on the success of White Pony and selling out. Instead, they continue to progress with their sound like any self-respecting band would do, and they get fucking hated on for S/T and SNW which are bloody amazing albums. People need to get a frickin' reality check.

word

emehlen

So true, bands ARE damned if they do, damned if they don't... if you don't like it so what? I don't think any band can do anything without being hated on by somebody.

DefGuy

as some people are saying: if you think they have sold out?, stop listening to them and listen to other music, millions of generes, millions of bands and solo artists, and if you still think they sold out, make your own music and dont sell it.... i guess you would be happy about that... if not, .... kill yourself

"I just like the way my dick feels when i listen to certain types of sounds...sometimes i hear certain sounds and they make my dick really fucking hard"  -Chino Moreno

Sanzen

Quote from: MxNovaStorm on Nov 01, 2006, 07:46 PM
fuck this bullshit

"hey i use long words in a correct manner and talk like i know exactly whats goin down in every part of the world in everybodies brains, oh and i am the god of taste.
i know exactly how every band should sound and i can fuckin suck my own dick."

"mgnbgnbkuphfff wahhh its not progressive, blaghghhh it sounds like team sleep, grupfffgh i have to much time on my hands but not enuff dick to play wit"

How fuckin old are you fuckers who talk like u got that broomstick up yo ass.
is yo dick that small that you have to blow holes in everybody elses ships.

Bottom line, if you love deftones then u will love this record, if u have a small dick then u will probably come up on here and try make all the lovers of it feel bad so they will know how u feel.

Bad luck biatches cuz the record is here, its real, its deftones and it kicks ass, and it only continues to make my dick bigga with each listen, so suck it.

(p.s. sorry to all the people who dont understand this but i had to make it readable to the "self-proffesed longworded life masters" on here. you know who u r)

makes me wana spaz fit at the frustraition of your retardedness

What an idiot.

I like how you ignored the overall message and just got bent over literacy and alternate opinions.

::)

If you actually read what Bergerac posted...  you should realize that Bergerac wasn't complaining at all.  Bergerac actually made a good presentation.  I don't agree with most of it, but it's very organized and honest.  I think the replies to his posts (with a few exceptions) are childish and typical of this message board.

Bergerac was just voicing his opinion on SNW--not putting it down--yet, some of you feel the need to respond in defense of your own opinion(s), as though his opinion was attacking yours.

Wow.

EDIT: The person that started this thread already noted that he did not mean "selling out" to be taken literally and that he was in a hurry.  He even changed the "selling out" part and noted what he had intended to post.

Read.

Bergerac

Thanks Sanzen. Karma kick for being open minded.

I'd forgotten about this. I'd just like to say that there's one track that I should've mentioned before to emphasise my point: Buffalo (or FOD).

Ultimately, Buffalo is without doubt the most finished song from that group of demos. It is my firm belief that Buffalo was the best example of where those demos were heading (a sound I, in the end, preferred to SNW) which, and to be honest, I think it's obious that they were.

So, here we have people judging the demos in the same way in which I have judged the final SNW tracks. Yet, and here's the point, after hearing SNW, loads of people here complained... 'where's Buffalo?'. Despite having a completely fresh album to listen to, their initial thoughts were 'where's Buffalo?'.

So I find it hard to believe that anybody would've disliked the album had it turned out to be those songs not used on SNW. The same goes for the possibility of everybody liking the album less had it been those songs, in comparison to the reaction to SNW. All I know, is that I would've liked it more, and I didn't say much beyond that.

Buffalo was the track that everyone wanted, yet Buffalo belongs to those demos. If those demos were all finished versions, I honestly believe it would kick SNW's arse, but that's just me.

pissedandpierced

I liked Adrenaline when I first heard it, I loved ATF and WP when they came out and I generally see Deftones everytime when their in the UK but when I first heard S/T I hated it and I was really disapointed, does that make me less of a fan?

I really hate it when people use the phrase 'selling out' when they slightly change the style of their music or if their album does really well and gains them new fans, it's not selling out, it's evolving and having some great marketing behind them. Selling out is when a band or artist does something which they have previously been against, for example : Billie Joe from Greenday is an animal loving vegetarian who is a spokes person for PETA, he is currently promoting the cruelty to chickens on farms which supply KFC, but if Greenday were offered a HUGE sum of money by KFC to use one of their tracks in an advert and they accepted and ran off to the hills with their millions then Greenday will be selling out.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Sanzen

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 AM
...i honestly think that they've sold out...

Now observe the name of the poster from the next quote...

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:26 AM
Sold out was a dumb subject...it was the first thing that came to my mind. i meant to say "have they run out of ideas"

Well, would ya' look at that?  It's the same person explaining something that most of you have been overlooking.  It's amazing what a lil' reading can do these days!

ALightOn

...I had to read this shit again; damn they still haven't played ComBat yet...if anybody thinks they can handle the phrase "sell-out",(whatever that means) check out Incubus...better yet check out the way Brandon sings Idiot Box live now...what a fucking disgrace...sorry

rainnyx4

Quote from: ALightOn on Jun 07, 2007, 06:22 PM
...I had to read this shit again; damn they still haven't played ComBat yet...if anybody thinks they can handle the phrase "sell-out",(whatever that means) check out Incubus...better yet check out the way Brandon sings Idiot Box live now...what a fucking disgrace...sorry

Deftones definitely haven't sold out.

The following bands however did:  Incubus, Sugar Ray, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Lost Prophets

And some bands just started to suck after a while like Cold or (hed) pe.

theis

How the fuck did Incubus sell out?

They make the music they love and are sincere about it.

ALightOn

Quote from: theis on Jun 07, 2007, 06:46 PM

...maybe that's why Dirk left...just maybe...probably more or less but more on the more side...I think that's right...

ALightOn

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 07, 2007, 06:44 PM
Quote from: ALightOn on Jun 07, 2007, 06:22 PM

Deftones definitely haven't sold out.

The following bands however did:  Incubus, Sugar Ray, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Lost Prophets

And some bands just started to suck after a while like Cold or (hed) pe.
...holy shit, how could I forget...IF there is a definition for "sell-out", then there would be no-doubt that Sugar Ray would be the symbol for it (I'll leave Incubus alone, for now) Mark McGratth is the SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you know, that guy Sugar Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theis

Quote from: ALightOn on Jun 07, 2007, 06:48 PM

...maybe that's why Dirk left...just maybe...probably more or less but more on the more side...I think that's right...

You're not making any sense.

You're saying Dirk left because Incubus is making music they love and are sincere about it? No.

Dirk left because of musical differences in the band.

marty

OK. Did Deftones Sell-out by releasing Mein as a Single then? They could have released better songs, but have they played it safe (because of Serj being on the song)?

I can't see them ever selling out, but I do think think that  they aren't anywhere near being ground-breaking as they originaly were.

Black Elvis

what a fanboy. Incubus sold out back on make yourself, which is actually my favorite record of theirs. but they sold out, and that anorexic fool brandon boyd modeled for GAP, let me repeat that, brandon boyd modeled for GAP! thats the biggest sellout move in the history of rock n roll.

and if anyone, ANYONE in the buisness is makin music they love and are sincere about it is the DEFTONES.
i am the black elvis

Quote from: Black Elvis on Jun 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
Delicous melissa ticklish in your mothers delicious citrus clitorious

Black Elvis

i am the black elvis

marty

I think someone needs to lookup two words and compare them:
Sellout
and
Compromise

Black Elvis

Quote from: marty on Jun 07, 2007, 08:46 PM
I think someone needs to lookup two words and compare them:
Sellout
and
Compromise

whatever makes you feel intellectual.

both are sins for genuine music of true self expression.
i am the black elvis