Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino on Radio 1 NOW. They're playing Diamond Eyes now

Started by nineteenpeoplesnames, Mar 15, 2010, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy666

You can hear modern influences in this song (Glassjaw - Meshuggah anyone?). Little strange, usually deftones are the ones doing the influencing. Regardless, its a bangin ass song.

Law

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Mar 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
an awesome opening for the album, nice single choice

i second that, even though i havent thw whole album. and its damn funny that people compare this song to both britney spears and meshuggah. now thats dynamics for ya

no offense to who said otherwise, but if you can't hear Meshuggah in that anywhere then you must be deaf lol.

Inkblades

Song is dope. I wish there was more of a build in the verses (the first chorus is 30 seconds in) but it's all good. The synths are awesome. Frank is definitely the MVP on this one.

Hidalgo

sound killer. thank you folks for being on top of things like always

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: Law on Mar 15, 2010, 10:42 PM

i second that, even though i havent thw whole album. and its damn funny that people compare this song to both britney spears and meshuggah. now thats dynamics for ya

no offense to who said otherwise, but if you can't hear Meshuggah in that anywhere then you must be deaf lol.

omg i dont think u get my point at all, i didnt mean it didnt sound like meshuggah, or britney for that matter. just find it funny that in one song, people can hear super heavy stuff like meshuggah in there (which is true) AND soft "britney" singing

m1nusblindfoLd

This is cool and all..definitely better than most "rock" you would hear lately, but it's just not really Deftones at all. And yeah RS is harder and crazy sounding, but again, it's not Deftones at all.

**********I can't help but repeat that the signature guitar sound (not sure how to word it as I am not a guitar player) from the first 4 albums is completely gone for this and SNW. Seriously, play ANY song from the first 4 albums, and you have that signature Deftones guitar. What did Steph do to it that it changed so much?? This is the sound that made me love every single song from this band.

I mean even throw on Change or MX (totally random picks from YouTube):

deftones-change  Deftones - Mx

and listen to the first few seconds.... ANY SONG AT ALL from albums 1-4:  

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THAT SOUND? ? ? ?

nineteenpeoplesnames

It's probably got something to do with Stef's extra string with each album fetish

jesusinabowlofdirt

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Mar 15, 2010, 10:50 PM
you have that signature Deftones guitar. What did Steph do to it that it changed so much??

8 string + new producer?

Vesanic

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Mar 15, 2010, 10:50 PM
This is cool and all..definitely better than most "rock" you would hear lately, but it's just not really Deftones at all. And yeah RS is harder and crazy sounding, but again, it's not Deftones at all.

**********I can't help but repeat that the signature guitar sound (not sure how to word it as I am not a guitar player) from the first 4 albums is completely gone for this and SNW. Seriously, play ANY song from the first 4 albums, and you have that signature Deftones guitar. What did Steph do to it that it changed so much?? This is the sound that made me love every single song from this band.

I mean even throw on Change or MX and listen to the first few seconds.... ANY SONG AT ALL from albums 1-4:  

Best comment ever.

joav

Just wanted to mention that the song's supposed to be 3:08 m/s. Or at least that was written on the amazon page. So it might be edited slightly or whatever. Not that it matters.

Oh the second better rip has something funny between 8 and 9 seconds like a boost of volume or something.

Thank you all for the contributions. And yes, lurkers coming out of nowhere! What the fuck is happening?
Bye!

Hidalgo

sounds killer. thank you folks for being on top of things as usual :)

m1nusblindfoLd

I mean don't get me wrong, it'll grow a little more but I will never be able to play these songs so many times and enjoy them as much as with the first 4 albums. I still love all the songs from Adrenaline - S/T as much as I did on day one believe it or not.

C'mon Steph, bring that guitar back...at least Chino's voice is still mainly the same!

Hidalgo

i love waking up to suprises like this, i figured we'd have to wait till the 23rd :)

Law

Quote from: jesusinabowlofdirt on Mar 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Quote from: Law on Mar 15, 2010, 10:42 PM

omg i dont think u get my point at all, i didnt mean it didnt sound like meshuggah, or britney for that matter. just find it funny that in one song, people can hear super heavy stuff like meshuggah in there (which is true) AND soft "britney" singing

haha I know, I', just making another point that's all.

All in all its cool to hear though, glad they're not just repeating old stuff.

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
Best comment ever.

Thanks (if it wasn't sarcastic lol). But the last time I brought this up here when SNW came out, everybody responded to me like I was a complete idiot and asshole. I mean if you're a real fan and listen to their shit as much as I do, you would notice the loss of their signature "sound" immediately after hearing anything from SNW and on...it's so obvious and what made them unique to me.

And I think they could have kept that up without repeating old shit that was already done. That guitar sound went sooo far with those albums..every song sounded different even with that same sound. So perfect...

jesusinabowlofdirt

if they sound like they used to and always did, people would complain that they dont develop in their sound or style. if they do develop, people complain about that too. what to do

Inkblades

Meshuggah is Stef's favorite band. Let him honor them!

Inkblades

By the way, I can maybe see the argument for this song's riff but the guitar in Rocket Skates is very Deftones.

Jacob

I agree when it comes to Stef's guitar sound. it's always been sort of a trademark quality of Deftones to have that unique guitar sound. I miss it, even though I think the guitars sound sick on SNW and in these two new songs. I just think it'd have sounded even better with his old typical sound.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

nineteenpeoplesnames

Still looking forward to the album loads!

Yeah rocket skates is