Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chino on Radio 1 NOW. They're playing Diamond Eyes now

Started by nineteenpeoplesnames, Mar 15, 2010, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pencil_of_fury

I'm from the school of thought that if I want to hear their old sound, I'll go listen to their old albums.  One of the hallmarks of the tones has always been moving on and trying new things.  Personally, I'm digging Diamond Eyes waaaaaaaay more than Rocket Skates, but both songs are cool.  It's early to make an assumption like this, after just two songs, but I think this might be the album that should have come after S/T.  If that turns out to be the case I'll be a very happy man.  To my ear, there's a real S/T feel to the riffage (albeit, ten times heavier) but with more of that dreamier WP quality on top of it.  

Put another way, I think this album could be the evolution of White Pony in the same way that S/T was the evolution of ATF, like two matched sets.

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 16, 2010, 12:13 AM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Mar 16, 2010, 12:09 AM
then change your fuckin old taste music you little old head, BE FUTURISTIC (and a little bit dynamic)

Dude, each time I heard a new Deftones record I was totally okay with their changes because it still sounded like Deftones. I'm okay with any band evolution as long as they keep their true art.

But that fucking chorus does NOT sound like the fucking Deftones.

i think you were expecting something like Hexagram or WGTB after reading that Metalhummer review..
the songs chorous part is proper for the concept...i donno why didnt you like it, lyrics are good, soundscapes are okay, melody is cool, yeah its soft but thats the point of the song..

sing it, you ll like it
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Vesanic

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Mar 16, 2010, 12:27 AM
i think you were expecting something like Hexagram or WGTB after reading that Metalhummer review..

I was expecting something Deftonish, that's all.

Hidalgo

"the needle breaks" line sorta reminds me of Daryl Palumbo :]

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 16, 2010, 12:29 AM
Quote from: rock_n_frost on Mar 16, 2010, 12:27 AM

to me ;

Rocket Skates = Another ATF song with 2010 style of Deftones
Diamond Eyes = Another WP song with 2010 style of Deftones
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

TheQuietDoom46

I think both singles are equally outstanding. Sounds like an amazing record. ;)

Corleone

Slacker

i totally predicted this would happen, how about some credit?.

believing pays off.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Slacker on Mar 16, 2010, 12:47 AM

believing pays off.
didn't happen HOW you predicted, but it still happened

FeetLikeFins

Quote from: pencil_of_fury on Mar 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
I'm from the school of thought that if I want to hear their old sound, I'll go listen to their old albums.  

That's fair.  

It's just kind of jarring, though, when you can't recognize the band in the music.  If Chino weren't
singing on this, would you think it was a Deftone's song?  It might as well be anyone playing it.  
That's kind of a bummer.

Terry Date's influence seems bigger and bigger with each passing non-Date album.

I'm also biased, though.  I hate the 8-string, 'I've run out of ideas so I'll add another string to my
guitar' bullshit.  People have been writing interesting music on six-string guitars for decades.  I
HATE that Stephen does this.  Go back to basics, man.  

Slacker

Quote from: Hidalgo on Mar 16, 2010, 12:52 AM
Quote from: Slacker on Mar 16, 2010, 12:47 AM

believing pays off.
didn't happen HOW you predicted, but it still happened

come on man, i only missed on the date. wich part of:

Quote from: Slacker on Mar 15, 2010, 05:06 AM
well if it doesnt go out today, we can probably assume that will get some kind of worldwide premier on some uk/us radio. and what i meant by that  is that at least we should be able to get a radio rip of some sort, by the end of the week.

right? '03 style.

doesnt sounds like prediction?

m1nusblindfoLd

then change your fuckin old taste music you little old head, BE FUTURISTIC (and a little bit dynamic)

Dude, each time I heard a new Deftones record I was totally okay with their changes because it still sounded like Deftones. I'm okay with any band evolution as long as they keep their true art.

Quote from: Vesanic on Mar 16, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote from: FeetLikeFins on Mar 16, 2010, 12:54 AM
It's just kind of jarring, though, when you can't recognize the band in the music.  If Chino weren't
singing on this, would you think it was a Deftone's song?  It might as well be anyone playing it. 
That's kind of a bummer.

Terry Date's influence seems bigger and bigger with each passing non-Date album.

I'm also biased, though.  I hate the 8-string, 'I've run out of ideas so I'll add another string to my
guitar' bullshit.  People have been writing interesting music on six-string guitars for decades.  I
HATE that Stephen does this.  Go back to basics, man. 

^All these quotes x a gazillion FTW

And how can people be telling us to change our taste in music? WTF?? Again, the sound that in no longer there is what we fell in love with in the band.

el perro

Evil.. pure evil. If you took Chino's vocals away the guitars sound brutal, even during the chorus. I dont compare. It's new.

"i will lead us through the same realm"

This album will own 2010

There Will Be Blood

OK so you must think Cherry waves chorus "Would you? Would You?" part doesn't sound like deftones either?

pencil_of_fury

I'm from the school of thought that if I want to hear their old sound, I'll go listen to their old albums.  

That's fair.  

I hate the 8-string, 'I've run out of ideas so I'll add another string to my
guitar' bullshit.  People have been writing interesting music on six-string guitars for decades.  I

Also fair.

I'm holding out hope that the entire album isn't going to be one big massively heavy chug-a-thon.  It's cool for a few songs, but it'll get old real quick.

Vesanic

Quote from: ilovechino69 on Mar 16, 2010, 01:04 AM
OK so you must think Cherry waves chorus "Would you? Would You?" part doesn't sound like deftones either?

Cherry Waves sounds fantaisist and original, why the fuck are you comparing the two songs ? Diamond Eyes chorus sounds like a thing I've heard in so many songs. A so-called melodic whiny chorus.

That's fucking it. People who can't go with my idea, it's their right, but let me think what I want to think about my favorite band. Jesus christ, looks like the " to each their own " is a thing said so many times but never used.

gui

I don't understand people telling Diamond eyes doesnt sound like deftones.  If we were talking about Pink cellphones, or teenager when it first came out, yeah ok...they were way more different than what they did before...but that song is pure deftones.

i don't understand how this chorus is that much different than, exemple, the minerva one... and how much different the riff from Rockets skate is from the one on Headup or even Engine no9. I don't get the classic deftones guitar signature thing. I even think the diamond eyes riff sound a lot like the one on When girls telephone boys. it's almost the same freakin riff lol.

Hidalgo

I

i agree, Stef hasn't done anything creative or different on these 2 songs. play some melodies, or god forbid play a solo, that woul be so unexpected and different for deftones, it'd be a whole different element to explore, but he refuses. it's the elephant in the room. the stuff he does now is even less creative than he did 15-20 years ago. step it up Stef, or (can't believe i'm saying this) get to steppin

gui

Personally i think Steph is the weakest link of deftones, but without him the band wouldn't be deftones. He had his creativity peak when he wrote the riff for my own summer. Personally I think the self-titled was steph at his laziest. 2 riffs a song.

I still love his riffs though.