Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reichward

Quote from: kurtone on Mar 19, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Mar 19, 2016, 08:38 PM
we dont have to wait 3 weeks, it'll leak before April 8th.. maybe next week or the week after.

I'm predicting it leaks by next weekend

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RavinVsFlud

http://live105.cbslocal.com/2016/03/19/interview-deftones-talk-gore-at-sxswf/

Somehow, in their storied career, Deftones haven't played SXSW in Austin, TX. That changed this week as they played several shows in advance of the release of their upcoming album, "Gore".

I sat down with Chino & Sergio to talk about the new album & their SXSW experience.

How's your SXSW been so far?

Chino: It's been a very interesting experience. Lot of last minute things. We came here for the Spin show at Stubb's & that was really the only thing we had planned & last night we did this surprise show in the park & it was super awesome. You know, it's been like flying by the seat of our pants, but it's been good.

People have been telling me that you (Chino) were getting down pretty hard to Badbadnotgood & Ghostface Killah out here earlier this week.

Chino: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. People were talkin'? I've liked Badbadnotgood for a while & it's crazy 'cause I didn't even know they did that record with Ghost & I stumbled upon it one day & was like, "What?" This makes perfect sense to me. I really like this mash-up. I posted about it online, five months ago, or something like that, & people were like, "that's old!" & I was like "I'm sorry, I did not know they did this record." I just went to see Badbadnotgood I didn't even know Ghost was gonna come out.

Sergio: We found out he was coming out & it was like, that's Ghostface Killah! That's legendary. They vibe together so well.

This is probably not Deftones first SXSW.

Chino: You know, we've done it...wait, you know what? This is. I've done it with Crosses, but this is the first time with Deftones.

You're here pushing the upcoming album, "Gore", did you come up with the title of the record first, or after you already had the songs done?

Chino: It's a name of one of the tracks on the record. When looking to name the record, which is always a difficult thing, you have to find something that's supposed to "represent" what the record is. Not that I think that "Gore" actually really does that, but what it does do is stimulate – the word is very descriptive and it carries a lot of...

Sergio: Connotation! & especially juxtaposed with the imagery. We've talked about it a couple times. It's more like expressionism. It's meant to evoke and elicit a response, but it's not liked a coded message, or anything. "Gore" hits on a couple of levels – besides the word and its meaning, it's also the fact that it's four letters & sits on the cover. On a graphic level it's a pretty strong word and it kept rising to the top.

Is there a Deftones summer tour coming?

Chino: We are working on something for the end of summer, which should be announced in the next week, or two.

Should we expect amphitheaters, arenas, or clubs this time around?

Chino: Some will be outdoors, but we're looking at something a little bigger than what we've been doing for a while. Looking to stretch out a bit – try something a little different. We have that & some festivals in Europe. Going to Iceland and places we've never been before.

With festival dates you usually have shorter set lengths. Is it a struggle to figure out what to play when you've got such an extensive catalogue?

Chino: It definitely is difficult to do that. Like today we have a 40-minute set. Looking at the setlist, there's nothing from "Adrenaline" on there, there's nothing from "Saturday Night Wrist" on there, which is never a struggle for me 'cause I hate most of those songs (laughs), there's nothing from "S/T" on there. We're only playing nine songs today.

Sergio: We have the stuff we feel strong about and we'll whittle it down to a list we feel really comfortable with.

You've got to showcase the new stuff too.

Chino: We squeeze a little bit of that in there. We pick the songs we feel like we play well & that we'll vibe out to great today.

One last question – now that you guys have been doing this for so long, is there any advice you'd want to give to your younger selves?

Chino: Wow. You know, I feel like I had to figure this all out in the time doing it & that's part of why I feel we're still here doing it because we had those experiences. There's not like anything I would really change that drastically. I've enjoyed this ride that we've had. It's always been a gradual build from where we started to where we are today. It feels good.

Thank you, guys. We always appreciate you in the Bay Area.

snw9

"Chino: It definitely is difficult to do that. Like today we have a 40-minute set. Looking at the setlist, there's nothing from "Adrenaline" on there, there's nothing from "Saturday Night Wrist" on there, which is never a struggle for me 'cause I hate most of those songs (laughs), there's nothing from "S/T" on there. We're only playing nine songs today."

I found this part of the interview interesting, so Chino hates Adrenaline and SNW; even though he rearranged most of the songs on that record. It's because of the tough days they had...

I can't tell his stance on S/T though.
Code: [Select]

Hidalgo

Quote from: snw9 on Mar 20, 2016, 03:09 AM
"Chino: It definitely is difficult to do that. Like today we have a 40-minute set. Looking at the setlist, there's nothing from "Adrenaline" on there, there's nothing from "Saturday Night Wrist" on there, which is never a struggle for me 'cause I hate most of those songs (laughs), there's nothing from "S/T" on there. We're only playing nine songs today."

I found this part of the interview interesting, so Chino hates Adrenaline and SNW; even though he rearranged most of the songs on that record. It's because of the tough days they had...

i think he's "so so" on S/T. for years he didn't care for it that much, but has somewhat warmed up to it lately. the ones he seems most proud of are ATF, WP & diamond eyes (& crosses album if you count side projects. those 4 seem to be his babies)

sharinglungs

That's not what he said at all. Way to take it out of context. He hates SNW, he doesn't hate Adrenaline.

Jimmy_McNulty

Well, in some interviews, for example in Scuzz interview, Chino said about Adrenaline: "I'm not big fan and never listen to it".

He doesn't like Adrenaline, SNW or S/T... hahahaha By contrast, we love these albums, especially S/T and the dark days.

By the way, greetings to the community.

Hidalgo

Quote from: Jimmy_McNulty on Mar 20, 2016, 08:59 AM
Well, in some interviews, for example in Scuzz interview, Chino said about Adrenaline: "I'm not big fan and never listen to it".

He doesn't like Adrenaline, SNW or S/T... hahahaha By contrast, we love these albums, especially S/T and the dark days.

By the way, greetings to the community, I have for years been reading SL.
"ahh Christ! Fucking Daniels"

snw9

Quote from: sharinglungs on Mar 20, 2016, 03:40 AM

That's not what he said at all. Way to take it out of context. He hates SNW, he doesn't hate Adrenaline.

Lol didn't mean to intentionally, at least adrenaline still gets played live regularly.

2MoreHours

Chino can hate SNW all he wants.  I love it and am glad they made the album.  It's one of their top 3 for me.

sooniletugo

E-Money

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Mar 20, 2016, 06:57 PM
Chino can hate SNW all he wants.  I love it and am glad they made the album.  It's one of their top 3 for me.

Yep me too. When I listen to that album I can just hear how difficult of a time it was for them. And I love that. Absolutely adore Riviere.

LG95

I think it's their worst album.

But it's still an 8/10.
I could float here forever

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: E-Money on Mar 20, 2016, 07:33 PM

Yep me too. When I listen to that album I can just hear how difficult of a time it was for them. And I love that. Absolutely adore Riviere.

Not just for the band but chino personally as well. he references drinking/relationship problems a lot in those songs

snw9

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 20, 2016, 08:19 PM
Quote from: E-Money on Mar 20, 2016, 07:33 PM

Not just for the band but chino personally as well. he references drinking/relationship problems a lot in those songs

There are a lot of good songs on that album I'd love to hear live like Rapture, which I don't think was played since 2009? Would be nice to hear Combat (its a dream we experienced once in real life) and more of Kim Dracula. Despite being a troublesome and depressing era, the songs sound great.

cvthedrv

no love for snw and adrenaline, he prefers the last justin bieber album.

Far away

"I remember when we started working on it, the songs were rotated again and again, and Stephen put himself in a corner, crossing his arms. I said: "Stephen, can you come play with us please?". And he remained sulking like a spoiled child, he kept: "I don't like it, I don't like it at all."

hahaha this is gold..

Inkblades

Metal Hammer gives Gore a 9 out of 10:

That original opening song they took off the album is called Crest. Hmmm.

punkflop01

Oh man what a great review. So so so pumped about this album. Still holding out on listening to Doomed User!  And i think the fact that the reviewer said that anyone expecting a track like Rocket Skates or Swerve city are in for a disappointment, just means that this album is definitely going to be a grower. I love Diamond Eyes and Koi no Yokan but they were almost instantly gratifying. The reason White Pony, Self Titled and SNW are extra special for me, is because it took days, weeks, monthsmonths to feel like I had completely unraveled the music. For me, that kind of music sticks with me a lot longer because it's such a great trip listening to their music over time and slowly understanding what the band was trying to achieve, rather than always having something that's an instant crowd pleaser. Where's the fun in that?!

punkflop01

Also, thanks for posting the article Inkblades. Hope they release what I read as 'Crest'. Sounds like a track that would have fit well on the Self - titled, based on the title alone. :)