Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Sep 10, 2020, 11:57 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 09:47 PM
My first child is due to October 13. I want the album ASAP, but I'm still enjoying the moment I still can sleep normally and have a life for now :)

my youngest is 24. you dont sleep the same ever again

that's... old.

BallZDeeP

Quote from: buflen on Sep 11, 2020, 12:14 AM
Quote from: BallZDeeP on Sep 10, 2020, 11:57 PM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 10, 2020, 09:47 PM
My first child is due to October 13. I want the album ASAP, but I'm still enjoying the moment I still can sleep normally and have a life for now :)

my youngest is 24. you dont sleep the same ever again

that's... old.

Not me. I'm getting younger and better

B_S_79

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 10, 2020, 09:19 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 10, 2020, 09:12 PM
On the topic of live performances, someone mentioned the Team Sleep sessions... omg yes, Chino never sounded better imo. His best recorded performance of his career? Prove me wrong Ves!

Oh, I really love that album. The entire band kills it and Gil Sharone's drumming on it is just beautiful.

My opinion - maybe it's a hot take - is there's no way his voice isn't doctored on that record. They did some auto tuning or something. (I love the album ... just my thoughts on that. It sounds too perfect. )

mandalay

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 10, 2020, 11:39 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Sep 10, 2020, 11:11 PM
It was only the start of the process that it was just the three of them.

Yeah, and as he makes clear, they did that so Stephen, in particular, could musically reconnect after Gore. Seems like doing that paid off big time for Ohms.

I think Chino not toting his guitar was a symbolic and helpful gesture.

SMLiberator

Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 11, 2020, 01:42 AM
My opinion - maybe it's a hot take - is there's no way his voice isn't doctored on that record. They did some auto tuning or something. (I love the album ... just my thoughts on that. It sounds too perfect. )

confirmed but not completely: here's clips from that concert from people that attended. you can hear him going out of tune in some clips (more clearly in Death by Plane) but he still sounds pretty much pitch perfect in some others (see Your Skull is Red)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBuvCoX1qQ
i'm confused??

Vesanic

Two more weeks!

Seems we drifted from the new album to Chino's vocals. Continue that discussion in the bullshit thread please.

Diplo

Desertscoldmoon covering Ohms:
https://youtu.be/_TsLWHYEYYc

Pretty cool comeback.

Iwazaru

Looking at bits and pieces of interviews that were done regarding the title track and this caught my attention:
QuoteAs the last song on the record, it's kind of sung in retrospect – it's looking back not just at the batch of songs that come before it, but our lives and our surroundings. The verses are reflecting, but the chorus kind of says, 'Yes this, but this' – it's saying that time will change with the decisions we make. It's a question and an answer.
This is kind of what I was hoping for; the album being yet unreleased and having not paid any attention to the leaks I can only try to project, but Ohms gave me that feeling of an epilogue rather than a closer. Hearing that the song's placement serves more as a way of looking back than a final conclusion sorts of match with what I wanted to hear.

imbrie

Quote from: Iwazaru on Sep 11, 2020, 05:19 PM
Looking at bits and pieces of interviews that were done regarding the title track and this caught my attention:
QuoteAs the last song on the record, it's kind of sung in retrospect – it's looking back not just at the batch of songs that come before it, but our lives and our surroundings. The verses are reflecting, but the chorus kind of says, 'Yes this, but this' – it's saying that time will change with the decisions we make. It's a question and an answer.
This is kind of what I was hoping for; the album being yet unreleased and having not paid any attention to the leaks I can only try to project, but Ohms gave me that feeling of an epilogue rather than a closer. Hearing that the song's placement serves more as a way of looking back than a final conclusion sorts of match with what I wanted to hear.

Completely agree with what you're saying. Naturally, it's hard to know without having listened to the rest of the album but I'm inclined to think that the title tracks will kind of just round things off.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: imbrie on Sep 10, 2020, 09:19 PM
Quote from: Draken on Sep 10, 2020, 09:12 PM
On the topic of live performances, someone mentioned the Team Sleep sessions... omg yes, Chino never sounded better imo. His best recorded performance of his career? Prove me wrong Ves!

Oh, I really love that album. The entire band kills it and Gil Sharone's drumming on it is just beautiful.

It's by far my favorite album with Chino on it.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Hidalgo

Quote from: SMLiberator on Sep 11, 2020, 03:00 AM
Quote from: B_S_79 on Sep 11, 2020, 01:42 AM

confirmed but not completely: here's clips from that concert from people that attended. you can hear him going out of tune in some clips (more clearly in Death by Plane) but he still sounds pretty much pitch perfect in some others (see Your Skull is Red)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBuvCoX1qQ
i think he pulled it off. in the 2001 team sleep cactus club live show(i've had on cd since then) he hits all the notes, and sounds really good the whole way. and that was a year he struggled. he's gotten through plenty of deftones shows, and crosses without problems. just depends on the night. he had a great night then

and to tie it in with Ohms upcoming, we're gonna be waiting a while to see how they do with these new Ohms songs live. about a year at least. freakin lame. also i think Abe said in an interview that the next video was shot along with the Ohms video, so that should be good stuff, with that director.

Inkblades

I was lucky enough to go to the TS Woodstock show. It's probably my favorite concert experience ever, mostly because it was completely unlike any other concert I've ever been to.

punkflop01

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 11, 2020, 07:37 PM
I was lucky enough to go to the TS Woodstock show. It's probably my favorite concert experience ever, mostly because it was completely unlike any other concert I've ever been to.

Oh man am very jealous! It really did feel like the most perfect way to experience them live. I saw them at the knitting factory in NY back in 2005 but wasn't anything close to the woodstock show.

laurapalmer

Quote from: punkflop01 on Sep 11, 2020, 08:32 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 11, 2020, 07:37 PM

Oh man am very jealous! It really did feel like the most perfect way to experience them live. I saw them at the knitting factory in NY back in 2005 but wasn't anything close to the woodstock show.

Oh man I was at that Knitting Factory show as well. I don't remember much about it beyond the room being real small and them sounding slightly better than I expected

Inkblades

I was also at the TS Knitting Factory show. I was kinda high when I saw them that night, but it was good from what I remember.

Since we have a whole another week before Genesis, I gotta recomend a newer band I've really been digging lately called Greyhaven. Kind of a generic band name, but their singer will go between sounding like Chino, Keith Buckley and Daryl Palumbo, often in one song. It's pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_7nfzI22Ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zv8Yx7q1iQ

976-EVIL

Was just thinking, regarding the post earlier about hearing the "New Songs" live. It would be great if they did something similar to the "Live Trees" performance the band did for Diamond Eyes. Playing the Record in its entirety with virtually no crowd.

A guy can Wish right?!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Hidalgo

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 12, 2020, 03:06 AM
Was just thinking, regarding the post earlier about hearing the “New Songs” live. It would be great if they did something similar to the “Live Trees” performance the band did for Diamond Eyes. Playing the Record in its entirety with virtually no crowd.

A guy can Wish right?!
that is an awesome idea. hope they do the whole album live like they did with diamond eyes

also i mentioned before, they could crank out another album fast if they wanted, with no shows coming anytime soon. i bet they could have it done and released by the end of next year. if they were so inclined of course

Inkblades

Abe did say he really wants to get back in the studio in the Kerrang article. I doubt it will be next year, but a two-year turnaround would be nice. I think the quick turnaround from DE to Koi was from them feeling so recharged after DE's success, so maybe Ohms will have a similar effect on them.

buflen

I'm ready to ignore next friday's single to actually be surprised by the first song. it'll be difficult.

laurapalmer

Quote from: buflen on Sep 12, 2020, 05:58 AM
I'm ready to ignore next friday's single to actually be surprised by the first song. it'll be difficult.

I like this idea in theory however I know there's no way I'll be able to do it. 8 songs I haven't heard will still be way above average when the record is released