Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Porcupine Tree

Started by Azwethinkweiz, Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.sinister

Quote from: theis on Sep 26, 2011, 10:20 AM
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
http://www.wupload.com/file/204689083
Pickling this up tomorrow at the record store. How do you guys like it so far? Insurgentes was just massive pleasure to listen to and this one seems like its 100x more epic.

Crazylegs

i'm almost all the way through. Insurgentes is better i think.

Crazylegs

Quote from: Crazylegs on Sep 26, 2011, 04:20 PM
i'm almost all the way through. Insurgentes is better i think.
now i'm not so sure.

sing blue silver

grace for drowning is friggin fantastic. i don't know about better than insurgentes since that's one of my all time favorite albums but... it's close.

mr.sinister

Grace For Drowning>>>Insurgentes

Its a massive record.

DAFTPUNK87

Porcupine Tree is one of my all time favorite bands. And I gather that there are a lot of fans here as well, let's talk about some PT!! My absolute fav album is In Absentia, but I do love me some Deadwing & Fear of a Blank Planet.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

Drummerboy_123

I only recently got into The Incident, me and PT have kinda drifted apart over the past few years but FoaBP will always hold a place within my heart.

And Shallow's riff is the shit!
The sky is falling down
The night is calling you
A star is burning out
The sky belongs to you

What Happened to You? <3

N0S3BLEED976

The Incident is my second favorite after In Absentia.

DAFTPUNK87

I've been a big fan of them for a while, and I was so looking forward to The Incident when it was coming out. I was actually a little disappointed in it.
In Absentia, Deadwing, & FOABP are their best IMO

Have any of ya'll seen them live? I saw'em in New Orleans back in 2007

ominousnimbus

Love 'em. I actually view them similarly to Deftones: they're not my absolute favorite, and none of their records would make my top 5 of all time, but they were remarkably consistent with great material for a long stretch.

Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, and Deadwing were all stellar efforts. To me, they started slipping with FoaBP, and that continued with The Incident. Both have skippable tracks and are more "B" efforts. The biggest problem is that Steven Wilson's lyrics have gone to complete shit, to the point where I'm embarrassed for anyone to hear me listening to songs like FoaBP, Way out of Here, Time Flies, etc. I also wonder if he started stretching himself too thin between Blackfield and his solo records.

I do kind of like the electronic direction they took with "Sleep Together," "The Incident," and "The Blind House" and hope to see more of that if they make another record.

chuckles

i apologize for my stupidity... but i didnt know this band was awesome!!
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

DAFTPUNK87

So.. there's this one song..

ARRIVING SOMEWHERE BUT NOT HERE
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

DJR

Blackest Eyes = Incredible

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: DJR on Nov 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah, such a great opener and then to top it off, it's followed by Trains.

DJR

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 04, 2012, 08:32 PM
Quote from: DJR on Nov 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah, such a great opener and then to top it off, it's followed by Trains.

Yeah, big fan of Trains! I pretty much think In Absentia is a top class album!

Also a big fan of Mellotron Scratch and Flicker! Great tunes! Wish id caught them play Royal Albert Hall :(

Crazylegs

In case you weren't aware, Steven Wilson released a new album recently. I didn't like it that much, but this track is really good.

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

mr.sinister

Yeah I quite like his solo stuff. This album is probably my least favorite from his solo work but I think it holds up very well with everything else he has done.

It scares though because I think Porcupine Tree is going to turn into a side project and be left in the dust. Every time someone asks Steven whats going on with PT, he doesn't look too excited.

sing blue silver

Zantera

I think Grace For Drowning and Insurgentes are two of the best albums he has done (Fear of a Blank Planet being the third in my top3), so I'm really not that bothered IF he decides to only make solo albums from now on.

However, the 70's thing is getting pretty stale. Raven is great, but I don't like it as much as GfD. If the next one is in the same style, I'll be even less excited. (Though it will probably be good)