Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 07:03 PM
about crest... i'm thinking they should release gore like it will be released, but then also a deluxe version of the record but with crest as the opening track. or as closer. but preferably as the opening track like it was intended. maybe black flamingos on the album cover or some stuff like that. white pony kind of deal with different openers (bts) and extra track (boys republic). why not?
Meh I'm not a big fan of bands doing things like that. If you've made an album and you're satisfied it's the best it can be then putting other songs on it taints it in my eyes, which is exactly what Back To School and The Boy's Republic do to White Pony - neither of them are bad songs, especially the latter, but nor are they part of that album and they should never have been released as part of it. An extra song like Crest is the sort of thing you either put as a B-side on a single or release as a bonus song on iTunes or something like that.

Admittedly I am pretty pure when it comes to CDs, even deluxe versions. A deluxe version with two CDs, one of them the album and the other with Crest and the other non-vocal/instrumental songs would be pretty cool though.
I could float here forever

whitefur

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 22, 2016, 07:03 PM
I feel like this is the only place on Earth where people would shit on KNY and would put stuff like S/T, two lackluster songs from Eros, and bunch of half-baked ideas from the SNW demos on a pedestal.

Again:

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 21, 2016, 12:43 AM
Deftones fans are clearly pretty pretentious and often want to go against the grain or take a stance that will position them in the obscure because they want to feel a part of some elite Deftones fan club that makes them somehow better than the casual or new fans (whether they consciously know it or not). The obsession over two mediocre tracks from Eros (and also the fawning over S/T) is pretty clear evidence of this in my opinion.

This can go both ways, too.......people fawning over KNY.

rainnyx4

Except you can make fairly objective arguments from a musician's and intellectual's standpoint about why KNY is leagues better than S/T, the two tracks from Eros, and the SNW demos.

LG95

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Mar 22, 2016, 07:23 PM
The main riffs in Swerve City are nothing to go crazy over but Sergio's bass-line in the verse and the little keyboard/guitar lead after the bridge are gold.

Rocket Skates was severely disappointing. Great evidence of when the band gets too lazy. It needed a true bridge.
Nah

Lurid Vega

Rocket Skates makes me want to two step. Drums and guitar in that song are gold. Doomed user on the other hand, I wish they put Crest on instead. Never the case with me normally, love all things Deftones. Doomed user seems lazy and it's kind of boring, all the peeps at work didn't like it either.

defsteve

Quote from: DefAlx on Mar 22, 2016, 05:05 PM

Can you please post it in better quality? For me English isn't my native language and because of it it's hard to see what written there :(

Have you tried using the zoom function on Chrome ?

Or maybe, and this is going to sound a ridiculous suggestion, buying it yourself ? haha
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

from_musings

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 22, 2016, 07:28 PM
about crest... i'm thinking they should release gore like it will be released, but then also a deluxe version of the record but with crest as the opening track. or as closer. but preferably as the opening track like it was intended. maybe black flamingos on the album cover or some stuff like that. white pony kind of deal with different openers (bts) and extra track (boys republic). why not?
Meh I'm not a big fan of bands doing things like that. If you've made an album and you're satisfied it's the best it can be then putting other songs on it taints it in my eyes, which is exactly what Back To School and The Boy's Republic do to White Pony - neither of them are bad songs, especially the latter, but nor are they part of that album and they should never have been released as part of it. An extra song like Crest is the sort of thing you either put as a B-side on a single or release as a bonus song on iTunes or something like that.

Admittedly I am pretty pure when it comes to CDs, even deluxe versions. A deluxe version with two CDs, one of them the album and the other with Crest and the other non-vocal/instrumental songs would be pretty cool though.

actually I agree in general, I just feel hate the feeling of knowing of finished deftones songs,especially with vocals, that exist but i don't get to hear them for whatever reasons.also i'm afraid i just don't trust chino when it comes to taste and judgement.i mean he dislikes my favourite albums adrenaline and st and he was the one that didn't think f.o.d should be on snw... and now he says he scrappes a song that "was one of my favourite but was too fast/tooslow/ wrong rythym i don't know"  I mean from a personal point of view maybe he is wrong again.

Inkblades

Quote from: DefAlx on Mar 22, 2016, 05:05 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 22, 2016, 09:13 AM
Metal Hammer gives Gore a 9 out of 10:

That original opening song they took off the album is called Crest. Hmmm.

Can you please post it in better quality? For me English isn't my native language and because of it it's hard to see what written there :(

Sorry, I found the review on Twitter, but if you open the image in a new tab, it will be larger. Then you can zoom in further.

LG95

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 08:37 PM
Quote from: LG95 on Mar 22, 2016, 07:28 PM

actually I agree in general, I just feel hate the feeling of knowing of finished deftones songs,especially with vocals, that exist but i don't get to hear them for whatever reasons.also i'm afraid i just don't trust chino when it comes to taste and judgement.i mean he dislikes my favourite albums adrenaline and st and he was the one that didn't think f.o.d should be on snw... and now he says he scrappes a song that "was one of my favourite but was too fast/tooslow/ wrong rythym i don't know"  I mean from a personal point of view maybe he is wrong again.
I don't think he dislikes the self-titled at all to be honest - I think he likes it but he associates it with a hard period of time in his life so doesn't enjoy it as much. With Adrenaline, I think he just doesn't relate anymore who he was at the time and the lyrical content especially and that's fine. In terms of writing a record, I trust Chino and the rest of the band completely; given how brilliant they've been over such a long period of time, if they don't think a song is right for an album, then they're more than welcome to remove it. That's what albums should be - a true representation of who a band/artist is at the time. They'll still make mistakes sometimes but I don't really give a shit; I want whatever album they want to put out and then I can make my own conclusions. If Chino and the rest of the band don't want Crest on the record then it doesn't belong there.

from_musings

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 22, 2016, 08:54 PM
I don't think he dislikes the self-titled at all to be honest - I think he likes it but he associates it with a hard period of time in his life so doesn't enjoy it as much. With Adrenaline, I think he just doesn't relate anymore who he was at the time and the lyrical content especially and that's fine

cool

In terms of writing a record, I trust Chino and the rest of the band completely; given how brilliant they've been over such a long period of time

well...

They'll still make mistakes sometimes but I don't really give a shit

i do (f.o.d)

I want whatever album they want to put out and then I can make my own conclusions.

hard to make own conclusions if you don't get to hear what they left out of the record.

If Chino and the rest of the band don't want Crest on the record then it doesn't belong there.

chino's decision according to himself. again, i don't trust the man.

LG95

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 09:17 PM

They'll still make mistakes sometimes but I don't really give a shit

i do (f.o.d)

One demo song is enough to make Chino's judgement untrustworthy? Lol

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 09:17 PM

I want whatever album they want to put out and then I can make my own conclusions.

hard to make own conclusions if you don't get to hear what they left out of the record.
Actually that's totally irrelevant. It's entirely up to a band/artist what an album is - the sound, the songs, what gets included, the track ordering etc. From that, you can make your own conclusions about it. What doesn't get included is completely irrelevant to that record. That's what the process should always be. It's why the label releasing the special versions of White Pony with The Boy's Republic and Back To School on was such bollocks - that sort of thing stands against everything music should be.

A band releases the album they want to, we either like it or we don't. Simple.

from_musings

fod was a big kick in the balls for me. also, he doesn't like adrenaline and st. i said "cool" because you spoke defending and tender about my two personal favourites.thanks. i agree with bullocks to some extent, but maybe we wouldn't get to hear b.r wihtout label milking money out of wp who knows.

would you like to hear crest?

Mr Blonde

I get the Adrenaline love, cuz for a lot of fans that's what got us into Deftones and aggressive music in general.   I know that's my case, but there's no way that's a fav of mine. Hell, I very rarely play anything off it.   Honestly my least fave they've done, followed by SNW and White Pony. 

from_musings

Quote from: Mr Blonde on Mar 22, 2016, 09:42 PM
I get the Adrenaline love, cuz for a lot of fans that's what got us into Deftones and aggressive music in general.   

hell no, not because they were aggressive and that's that.machine head,pantera and sepultura did that. it was because deftones were aggressive but girly emotional at the same time. gay and aggressive, only korn had done that before, that was their usp

LG95

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 09:40 PM
fod was a big kick in the balls for me. also, he doesn't like adrenaline and st. i said "cool" because you spoke defending and tender about my two personal favourites.thanks. i agree with bullocks to some extent, but maybe we wouldn't get to hear b.r wihtout label milking money out of wp who knows.

BTW, I happen to disagree with Chino on Adrenaline and the self-titled - the latter in particular is an absolute masterpiece. But I understand why he doesn't like them as much (and I do think he genuinely likes the self-titled, he just finds it hard to relate to that period of time). As fans we're lucky that we can basically just judge the albums on their own merits, whereas artists and bands naturally relate a record to what it was like during the process of making it. That's probably partly why Around The Fur is Chino's favourite album.

And yeah I'd to hear Crest, just not as part of Gore itself.

Mr Blonde

Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 09:45 PM

Deftones got me into bands like Pantera and Machine Head.  I bought Adrenaline cuz I saw it reviewed it a Skateboarding sales mag in 5th grade.  I was into Korn to a lesser extent and then never listened to them again after Follow the Leader.  My heavy metal taste weren't to developed around my exposure to Deftones

from_musings

Quote from: LG95 on Mar 22, 2016, 09:46 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Mar 22, 2016, 09:40 PM

BTW, I happen to disagree with Chino on Adrenaline and the self-titled - the latter in particular is an absolute masterpiece. But I understand why he doesn't like them as much (and I do think he genuinely likes the self-titled, he just finds it hard to relate to that period of time). As fans we're lucky that we can basically just judge the albums on their own merits, whereas artists and bands naturally relate a record to what it was like during the process of making it. That's probably partly why Around The Fur is Chino's favourite album.

And yeah I'd to hear Crest, just not as part of Gore itself.

ok, b-side then . lovers style.perfectly fine with me. hope is the last thing that dies in a man

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: pelican fly on Mar 17, 2016, 07:31 PM
Quote from: punkflop01 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:19 PM
Everyone can calm down now.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-03-17/deftones-stef-buries-split-rumours-that-followed-tense-gore-sessions

Amen. I don't see why most people overreacted in the first place. He said in that same interview that it took him awhile to get into it. So that means he eventually got into it. Common sense.I don't see what all the uproar was about.

i do, i knew people what take what stef said and even turn it into rumors of break up, first of all it's his personality to say something like that which is what makes it even more tiring to hear people's opinions and rumors of what he would say and everything in stef's rebuttal is the epitome of what social media does these days. people take you by your words, not your actions. that's wrong.