Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 10, 2012, 11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

But in a White Pony way.

RollerDerby

That white pony sounds alot like a new wave hesparian death horse.
"Carve your niche."

alan1o

Quote from: nicklav on Sep 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
So long as Steph is NOT using a 6-string, nothing will sound like White Pony.

well yes and no. Steph said he can't go back to a 6 after playing 7/8's. That doesn't mean he has to utilize every string though.

but yeah Chino says this about every album 'sounds like white pony' because he considers that album the epitome of what deftones do.

luisch

I dont know why Koi No Yokan sounds to me like a ST, obviously I can be totally wrong, but Rosemary have that very deep and sweet essence like Minerva, Deathblow, Battle-Axe and stuff. Rollerderby isnt my favorite song but in the last days I'm very into it, that drum machine recalls Buffalo / Finger of Death, and is maybe the same era (2003-2004)
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

m1nusblindfoLd

And that's the big mistake since SNW....not the true DEFTONES SOUND anymore...guitar-wise. But no one agrees with me I remember..

rock_n_frost

how does it effect?
i mean, cant a 8-string guitar  do what 6-string does?
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

mothraw

nicklav

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Sep 14, 2012, 04:46 PM

And that's the big mistake since SNW....not the true DEFTONES SOUND anymore...guitar-wise. But no one agrees with me I remember..

I'm with you. I also just wish they would go back to Terry Date. I'd wait even longer for new albums if I knew he was behind the board.

Vesanic

wat ur jus a t2ol if dey wan chang producer let dem do not ur bizness bsides DE better dan any odur recurd fuk u

RollerDerby

I wasn't impressed with SNW the first few times I listened to it, but it has certainly grown on me. DE was a breakthrough album because it diversified their sound and broke away from their typical style. Not the best album ever recorded, however I did enjoy it very much. The whole reason I listen to this band is because they gradually mature every album. No album is the same, though obvious comparisons are there dynamically. I think the latest two albums, Frank has shined. I really love how he is able to incorporate his sound. And as much as I miss everything Chi has done, Sergio has been a wonderful addition. Deftones aren't the same band they were during ATF or WP, and I see that as a great thing. If I wanted to hear the same music recycled over Time and again, I would listen to Godsmack.
"Carve your niche."

luisch

Quote from: RollerDerby on Sep 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
I wasn't impressed with SNW the first few times I listened to it, but it has certainly grown on me. DE was a breakthrough album because it diversified their sound and broke away from their typical style. Not the best album ever recorded, however I did enjoy it very much. The whole reason I listen to this band is because they gradually mature every album. No album is the same, though obvious comparisons are there dynamically. I think the latest two albums, Frank has shined. I really love how he is able to incorporate his sound. And as much as I miss everything Chi has done, Sergio has been a wonderful addition. Deftones aren't the same band they were during ATF or WP, and I see that as a great thing. If I wanted to hear the same music recycled over Time and again, I would listen to Godsmack.

I love you
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

RollerDerby

Quote from: luisch on Sep 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Quote from: RollerDerby on Sep 14, 2012, 05:26 PM

I love you

Just telling it like it is. I am excited for Koi No Yokan simply because it's a brand new album. We haven't heard anything like it because it hasn't been released. People should hold their opinions on the sound of it until they have actually heard it.
"Carve your niche."

deftoner664

Okay first off.. Everything Steph plays on his 7 and 8 strings still sounds the same...Why do you think he can play shit from around the fur and it still sounds the same live? As long as its still in key of the song its going to sound the same if its in the right octave range. The 7 and 8 string guitars just provide him with a longer guitar neck and  more frets which allow more range in sounds.. Yes those guitars can sound grungy and heavy but not every place on the fretboard sounds that low of a timbre.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

deftoner664

ALSO! what is the deal with the leaked tracklist having only 11 songs?! I thought we were suppose to be getting 13 original songs. So I guess the cover songs they are going to do will account for the 13 tracks... Kinda cheap... Hate to bitch, because I'm very excited for new material but I was looking forward to a lengthy album.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Teknoman

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Sep 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
how does it effect?
i mean, cant a 8-string guitar  do what 6-string does?

Well, yes and no, in theory you can play any 6 strings guitar song on a 8-strings guitar but in the practice is not entirely true.

Stef used drop tunings for white pony and when you play with the lower string dropped you can play "5th chords" (or power chords) with your index finger alone and you can use the rest of your fingers to play higher strings and add more "depth" to the chord, Change, Digital Bath and Knife Party are good examples of this. Its almost impossible to play those songs on a guitar with standard tuning... unless you have abnormally long fingers.

I make music too

Far away

You are not alone, my friend. And to make it clear, I do not want to hear the same music, I just like how the guitar used to sound. I do like the new guitar sound, its just my prefference for the old tune.

bebo

Quote from: Vesanic on Sep 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
wat ur jus a t2ol if dey wan chang producer let dem do not ur bizness bsides DE better dan any odur recurd fuk u

off topic, banned.

fuqin nazis, hurrrr

iceache

Quote from: deftoner664 on Sep 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
ALSO! what is the deal with the leaked tracklist having only 11 songs?! I thought we were suppose to be getting 13 original songs. So I guess the cover songs they are going to do will account for the 13 tracks... Kinda cheap... Hate to bitch, because I'm very excited for new material but I was looking forward to a lengthy album.

2 b-sides + covers.

RollerDerby

Quote from: deftoner664 on Sep 14, 2012, 05:45 PM

The band's camp requested that article be removed because it's not official.
"Carve your niche."

m1nusblindfoLd

Quote from: Far away on Sep 14, 2012, 05:46 PM

You are not alone, my friend. And to make it clear, I do not want to hear the same music, I just like how the guitar used to sound. I do like the new guitar sound, its just my prefference for the old tune.

Exactly..this 100%. Don't want the same music but I want the same guitar sound. Just like the first 4 albums had the same guitar sound but mostly different styles...although I wouldn't complain if they still used the same style to a degree as well.

I just miss my classic deftones :(.....