Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan thread

Started by Vesanic, Sep 11, 2012, 02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FNatt

it does not matter if you have different opinions than me, I love you all.

thenoiboi

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Nov 01, 2012, 12:18 AM
I'd definitely say Rosemary sounds like, if it had to go on another record, it would be White Pony. Leathers I could see an argument for SNW or WP. Tempest is kind of off on its own island.
it's like.... some sort of.... island def jam...
we could be two straight lines in a crooked world.

N0S3BLEED976

When I get the album on the 9th, I will probably listen to it once on my sound system and then grab my mp3 player and take a long walk through the fall landscape around the village I live in while listening to the record again. Sounds cheesy, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

SquealLikeaPig

N0S3BLEED976

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:24 AM
When I get the album on the 9th, I will probably listen to it once on my sound system and then grab my mp3 player and take a long walk through the fall landscape around the village I live in while listening to the record again. Sounds cheesy, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Man, that hardly sounds cheesy. That sounds fuckin' awesome!

This is the worst, ever since I saw that instragam photo of a hardcopy of KNY - I feel like any second now it's going to leak. I've already preordered mine, so at this point I just view a leak as an "early" listening of the album.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

FNatt

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:29 AM

This is the worst, ever since I saw that instragam photo of a hardcopy of KNY - I feel like any second now it's going to leak. I've already preordered mine, so at this point I just view a leak as an advanced listening.

isn't a leak always an advanced listen? haha

N0S3BLEED976

Haha, thank you! Having a beatiful landscape is probably one of the very few advantages of living off the beaten track.  ;)

DAFTPUNK87

yeah it is obviously lol, but I'm just saying - I've given them my money for it already so.. ya know, I don't feel so much like i'm stealing from them.

BallZDeeP

SquealLikeaPig knows something

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:36 AM

Haha, thank you! Having a beatiful landscape is probably one of the very few advantages of living off the beaten track.  ;)

That's awesome man. I live in Northeast Louisiana, it's just a bunch of buildings and shit.. nothing to spectacular. But I'll probably go take a long drive out to the country side where farm land and shit is. I have this one particular route that I take every time a new Deftones album is released, it's kind of a personal tradition of mine.

FNatt

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: BallZDeeP on Nov 01, 2012, 12:38 AM
SquealLikeaPig knows something

Either that or he's fucking with us. I bet it's the latter.

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: SquealLikeaPig on Nov 01, 2012, 12:25 AM
2 more hours

could you please be a little more vague about that? lol

ignore the fashion

DAFTPUNK87

Ponte506

I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

But then again.........we do have Poltergeist ;) 

BallZDeeP

from_musings

@Ponte506
really great post dude 

Usurper

Quote from: Ponte506 on Nov 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
I know this post will most likely catch a lot of flak, but I'm honestly having very mixed feelings about KNY based on the little we've heard.  I've been a Deftones fan since 2000 (13 at the time), and while for many that's considered kinda late in the game to get hooked on them, I've always associated these boys with their best album "Around the Fur".  I think there's a reason people go ape-shit over any song from that album starting up at a live concert, more-so than anything from Adrenaline or even White Pony.  It was Steph's driving guitar, Abe's unique drumming, and of course, Chino's genre-defining screams that just solidified these guys as one of a kind. 

I can't wrap my head around how a lot of you are gushing over "Tempest", which in all honesty...is probably the weakest single these dudes have put out.  There's not really any semblance of the Deftones we all grew up with.  The verses do sound very "southern rock", and the chorus is completely lackluster...totally reminds me of a generic hard rock song that belonged on some mid 2000's horror movie soundtrack like "Freddy vs. Jason".  Not impressed

I kinda feel like there's this divide with a lot of Deftones fans; those who are all about the more metal and aggro guitar riffs and raw screaming from the first three albums, and then the other half that's more about their super-ambient, spacey Frank-driven catalogue, which I really find to be the weakest.  I'm guessing that latter half consists of people that are really into shit like The Mars Volta and Bjork...no thanks.

On the other hand, I'm totally falling for "Poltergeist", because that song is such an ATF throwback (Just like how CMND/CTRL was on Diamond Eyes); it's amazing.  I've heard it live, and with the Steph only guitar drive followed by the vocal patterns and aggression we all loved on ATF, this song really stands out, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.  I could care less about other people's track by track reviews, because most of them (magazine/blog wise) are usually biased and filled with so much fluff talk, they lose track of conveying the important points that we're curious about in the first place. 

I really feel like the "You should love all of their work" sentiment is total bullshit.  Saturday Night Wrist is their weakest album...hands down, so when I hear "Tempest" and "Rosemary" filled with clashing guitars, Frank spinning as many audio samples as he can find, and a total absence of the awesome aggression that they were the forerunners for in the late 90's, it comes off as SNW 2.0, and that's a bummer. 

(Almost done with this essay folks).  I'm not going to say that their more melodic, "softer" songs are bad.  Songs like "Change" and "Digital Bath" completely fit the era when they were released.  2000-2001 just had this very dark/technological scene in the music industry, and it was awesome.  The ambiance and atmosphere of those songs are timeless, as opposed to songs like "Beware" and "Minerva" that really don't give me any sense of awe...they're just atmospheric and soft "just to not be heavy". 

I'm hearing some really good stuff about "Swerve City" and "Romantic Dreams", which I'm hoping bring out the classic elements of the Deftones that tear shit up.

Will this be an amazing album?  Most likely.  Chino's vocals have been awesome since Diamond Eyes, and that record was such an awesome reward for having to deal with SNW. 

I just hope we don't have half the album as "Sextape 2.0", "Kim Dracula 2.0", and "Riviere 2.0".  I honestly feel like we will never get another "Lotion", "Around the Fur", or "Engine No. 9". 

But then again.........we do have Poltergeist ;)

No flak here, you're entitled to your opinion.  No one is suggesting that you should love everything they have done. Not everyone only loves deftones for their heavy elements.  I feel like a vast majority appreciate the band for their diversity.  I dont know about future albums, but youre not going to get many tear shit up moments with KNY.  Poltergeist, goon squad, and swerve (kind of)
-[usurper]-