Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Albums that changed you.

Started by fireflyry, May 03, 2006, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflyry

This is a thread to post the albums that came along and changed who you were, how you saw music, or whatever you want really.Music of personal connection I guess.

Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
Deftones - Around the Fur
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tool - Ænima
Led Zeppelin - IV
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Sublime - Sublime
Bob Marley - Exodus
At The Drive In - Relationship of Command
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Neil Young - Harvest
NIN - The Downward Spiral

:)

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

law

Great thread man.

Deftones - Adrenaline: first song I heard was Bored, then Root... it got me hooked when  was a wee whippersnapper!

Metallica - An Justice for all: Got me into metal more full on more than any other record, the riffs are second to none.

Micheal Jackson - Thriller: Used to Dance to this as a kid, the first bit of music I got into and really touched me (lol sorry crap joke).

Radiohead - OK Computer: I remember getting this when it came out in 97 or something and it being so chilled and melodies just taking me away, awesome.

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous: In my opinion, the best rock and roll band ever, the tunes they wrote were simply amazing, and seeing them live well that was like king boner right there.

The Police - everything: introduced me to more interesting melodies, fucking love this band.

Assassin

Diss me all you want, but my current interest in metal (and rock) was sparked off by Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory and Meteora. A few years down the line, I started listening to (a little) Limp Bizkit and all those other crappy nu-metal bands on the Kerrang music channel, 3 years ago I got into Metallica (St. Anger is only bad when you compare it to old school Metallica!), System Of A Down (Toxicity is a great album) and Muse (Absolution). This is the point where I started to realise I was actually into rock/metal and not all the crap my friends listen to. Last September I bought White Pony, my first Deftones album, and since then I've become a full-on metal head.

Azwethinkweiz

Jeff Buckley - Grace

changed my whole view on music.

Chrisbo

Childhood Favourites That Helped Me To Develop My Tastes:
The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
Led Zeppelin - IV
The Police - Regatta De Blanc
Radiohead - The Bends
Duran Duran - Rio
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Metallica - Black Album
Queen - A Night At The Opera
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth
Bryan Ferry - Bete Noire

The Albums Which Linked The Childhood Favourites To The Current Mindset (This Was In New Zealand)
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Silverchair - Freak Show
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Radiohead - OK Computer

The Albums Which Made Me Feel On Top Of The World During A Rather Troublesome Time :D
Deftones - White Pony
Deftones - Around The Fur
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Tool - Ænima
At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

The Albums Which Are Currently Blowing Me Away And Bringing Me To New Dimensions
Converge - Jane Doe
Isis - Panopticon
Mastodon - Leviathan
Thrice - Vheissu

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

ben

Blink 182- Enema of the State
At the Drive-in - Relationship of Command
Coheed and Cambria- In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3

died20times

converge - jane doe
poison the well - opposite of december
will haven - carpe diem
explosions in the sky - those who tell the truth...
cro-mags - the age of quarrel
radiohead - ok computer
botch - we are the romans
far - water & solutions
shai hulud - hearts once nourished with hope and compassion
mobb deep - the infamous
deftones - around the fur
love lost but not forgotten - upon the right, i saw a new misery

these are the albums that pretty much brought me into the music i listen to today.

frud

None really changed me but here are my favories...

Deftones - around the fur
limp bizkit - three dollar bill y'all
korn - korn
rage against the machine - rage against the machine
cky- volume 1

yoda on mars

BLACK SABBATH - PARANOID
DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD
KING CRIMSON - IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

Deftones - White Pony
KoRn - Issues
The Mars Volta - De-loused In The Comatorium
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Xiu Xiu - La Foret
Old Man Gloom - Christmas

and many many many more... ;D

4th Eye

Tool's music and lyrics, and the time I spent in the Toolshed forums changed my way of thinking, not only in music but in life general. No other band has had such a powerful influence on me. Though if it wasn't for RATM, Deftones and Korn, I wouldn't probably listen to Tool either.

So to make a list:
Tool - Ænima
Tool - Lateralus
Korn - Korn
Korn - Issues
Deftones - Around The Fur
RATM - Evil Empire
Slipknot - S/t

And going further:
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday (the rap phase in the mid-90's)
Prodigy - Music For The Jilted Generation (introduced me to triphop, electronica, even trance after a while)
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (yay, my first purchased cassette!)
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion(s)

Oh, and thanks to Napster! That's where I found Tool's "Learn To Swim". :D

Far away

RATM - S/T
Deftones - Adrenaline
Incubus - Science

some other

lithium royalty

the fragile by nine inch nails

this album was the soundtrack to one of the most difficult parts of my life.
a lof of drugs where consumed to the tune of this record.
a lot of mistakes where made to this music.

i hold this album dear to my heart, in many ways i find that if the music wasnt playing, i'd be dead.

other than that, a classic rock station got me into the heavier stuff, i wouldnt be able to single out one band.

blue_silver

good thread...

for me:

Mogwai- Young Team, God I love this band, it made me realize how much emotion and feeling you can put into music without lyric's... changed my views on music

Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream, this album really got me into rock and out of my rap stage and there was no looking back, Lol

Deftones- White Pony, my first deftones album, need I say more...

Cure- Bloodflowers, my first cure album... beautifully meloncholy

Slipknot- Self Titled, this album came out when I was in high school when I was young and full of teenage angst- I had never heard anything else like it and I was actually surprised by how much I liked it and could relate to it, it really got me into metal

Poison the Well- You come before you, previously I had hated this band, but after a recommendation of a friend I gave them another shot and this began one of my all time favorite albums, and emotional roller coaster- I love it, and it helped me to not be scared to break my initial impressions of something and be more opened minded
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you...

ee cummings

Paint Your Lips

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr, kiss the Child (What helped me discover how great music can be)
Converge - Jane Doe
Tool - Lateralus
Under Byen - Af Samme Stof som Stof
Efterklang - Tripper
Radiohead - Hail to the thief
poison the Well - You come before you

Oldnewtype

The most major albums that changed me were Deftones - Adrenaline, Marilyn Manson - ACSS, The Mars Volta - DLITC, Pink Floyd - Animals, Converge - Jane Doe, and The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers

BigDave

white pony, jane doe, ok computer.

i might as well have not listened to anything before i found these albums.

City In Fiction

Cool Thread

I think the first album that really got me into music as teenager was "Dookie" by Green Day, also Weezer's Blue Album.

The first tape I ever got when I was a kid was"Hammer Please Don't Hurt 'Em" I was like 8. Then I checked out AC/DC's Razor's Edge from the library! And never gave it back!

But as a whole I'd say

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (This album changed my view of music)

Deftones - Around The Fur (I don't think I've played any other cd as much as this one. Changed the entire way hear dynamics in music.

Cave In - Jupiter (Musically, took me to places and opened my mind to so much more. This album is an experience. Nuff said.)

Poison The Well - The Opposite Of December (This album got me into hardcore and everything in between of the heavy music spectrum, as I'm sure it did for a lot of people)

Denali - S/T (Beautiful music.)

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity (The best band in the world. Hands down.)

Mastodon - Remission (At a close 2nd to Dillinger)

The Fall Of Troy - Doppleganger (The most hypnotic album I've ever heard. It never leaves my head.)

Curl Up And Die - We May Be Through With The Past, But The Past Ain't Through With Us EP's
(Heavy,punk, emotional, melodic, passionate, technical, everything that I enjoy in music.)

Botch - We Are The Romans (The most important heavy music album from any genre to come out in the last 15 years. I can't think of many hardcore/metal bands that are out now, who don't blatantly rip off this band.)

I think there's more, but this all I got for now.

By the way all these comments are just my opinion, as I'm sure most of you will feel differently about my choices and statements. These aren't facts, just possibilites.
Love is a disgusting thing.

deftonekid

Quote from: Far away on May 03, 2006, 07:39 PM
RATM - S/T
Deftones - Adrenaline
Incubus - Science

some other
nice little list

nirvana - in utero
deftones - adrenaline
ratm - the battle of LA
tool - lateralus
incubus - make yourself

and some other too

greencard

Good thread!

I always say there are 4 albums that growing up really moved me and are my favorites from the time. Like high school era.
In no set order:

Janes Addiction - Nothing's Shocking. Up until this time (about '89) my friends and I were listening to punk, hardcore, thrash, speed-metal. Old Metallica, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. An older friend put on the tape (!) for NS and from the start it was so different sounding from anything else. It still "rocked" but in a different way from anything else. Also I thought the opening song "Up the beach" was really moving. Kind of ethereal like floating to heaven. lol I don't really know how to explain.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk Kinda like Nothing's Shocking this album steered me away from the harder/heavier stuff I was into. The vibe on the album I really liked. Something about it reminded me of my older brother. lol

Danzig - S/T The perfect album for my angst ridden teen years. lol Dark, heavy, evil...  :P Really good album and I think pretty influential too. And the videos were all good too.

Nirvana - Bleach I liked the energy on this album a lot. The lyrics too. It was similar enough to a lot of other stuff I was into at the time, but unique also. I was lucky enough to see Nirvana live in the summer of '91 right beofre they got big too.  :D

I think I heard all these albums in '89. :o

Honorable mentions

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless This is kind of cheating since I saw a video for this CD 1st, but that prompted me to but the CD and at the time and even now it was unlike ANYTHING I ever heard. All the EPs that go with it too.

Stone Roses - S/T My intro to Madchester.  I saw a video for them also and really liked it s got the album and this steered me even more away from metal and metal-ish music.

Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine I heard this sometime in '93. on a late night radio show that played nothing but Death Metal, Grindcore, and other extreme music. What really stood out about FF was the clean and then heavy vocals and use of samples. It just stood out from all the other songs that were being played. And was GOOD. Still one of my fav albums. But not enuf to get me back into metal at the time (Death metal, Grind, etc.)

Cypress Hill - S/T I saw the videos for this CD, really liked em, and when I heard the album I thought something new was being done in rap.

Sam

White Pony changed me.  It made me spike my hair and grow sideburns.