Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Albums that changed you.

Started by fireflyry, May 03, 2006, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defkitty

Radiohead- OK Computer

Songs-
Kim Gordon- Little Trouble Girl
R.E.M.- Losing My Religion (One of the first awesome videos I ever saw)

he who dies with the most toys wins

mourninglights

circa survive- juturna
anthony green- avalon
everything by coheed and cambria

mourninglights

oh, and the album "come now, sleep" by as cities burn

wither-I

circa is just amazing. they are writing my way

come now sleep has a huge place in my heart as well..

goin to see those fools on march 28th for the last time most likely

"coming into the nearness of distance"

Jacob

huh, I just looked through this thread thinking I've probably posted something I wouldn't completely agree with if I read it now... but realized I haven't even posted in here.

albums that have changed me, some more than others:

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Tool - Aenema
Led Zeppelin - Remasters
Type O Negative - October Rust
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Deftones - White Pony
Talk Talk - Colour of Spring
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Unplugged In New York
Dredg - El Cielo

there are more but I can't come up with anything right now.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Shaye

STP- 12 Gracious Melodies (I think this is the 1st CD I ever bought and it's great still)

Sneaker Pimps- Becoming X ( I still love this entire album even after 12 years of listening to it. It was my first encounter with techno/trance/trip hop genre)

311- Music, Grassroots, Self Titled, Transistor ( I love 311. LOVE them. But these 4 albums were my soundtrack for so long. Most girls were freaking out about Backstreet Boys and all I could do was listen to these albums)

Limp Bizkit- Significant Other, Results May Vary ( Regardless of people opinions on LB these two albums def changed me. 'SO' got me through my angst-ridden teen years and 'RMV' got be through a very bad breakup)

Sublime- 40 oz to Freedom, Self titled ( It's Sublime. They're fun and timeless IMO. Enough said)

That's it for now. There are so many other artists/bands that have changed my life but not necessarily entire albums.

indychinoluv

My choices are:
Bros - Bros. First LP I ever brought.
EMF - Schubert Dip
Jesus Jones - Doubt
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mothers Milk
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Alice In Chains - Facelift
Dredg - El Cielo
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Metallica - Master of Puppets

ben

ok....I'm going to try to keep this by year...that way it doesn't get too long.  I guess my real introduction to loving music was in 2001....before that it was just nu-metal and pop-punk.....so.

2001: Deftones- White Pony
2002: Incubus- Morning View
2003: Dredg- El Cielo AND At the-Drive In- Relationship of Command AND The Mars Volta- Deloused in the Comatorium
2004: Coheed and Cambria- In Keeping Secret of Silent Earth:3 AND Interpol- Turn On the Bright Lights
2005: Godspeed You! Black Emperor- FAInfinty
2006: Converge- No Heroes
2007: Isis- In The Absence of Truth
2008: Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures
2009: Wavves- Wavvves

2003-4 were huge.

raynor

I tried doing this by year, but it was hella hard, but it's in chronological order though. These lists are always fun!

White Pony and the rest of the Deftones albums
The Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn ---- / ---- The Mars Volta - De-Loused By the Comatorium (which of course made me check out ATD-I)
Why? - Elephant Eyelash
The Sound of Animals Fighting - The Ocean and The Sun ----/---- Tera Melos - Drugs to the Dear Youth

Havn't really been hyped about anthing the last year, you know that kinda album that blows you away. Maybe Japandroids. I'm always a year behind though.

No More Sugar

FAR - Tin Cans, Water and Solutions
The Used - S/T
STP - Core
Helmet - Meantime
Everything from Nirvana
Circa Dirka - Juturna
Hybrid Theory
Pinkerton
All GJ
10,000 days
Unsane
Mastodon - Remission
Quicksand - Slip
Dashboard Confessional - The Places You have Come to Fear the Most (Still makes me cry every time i hear This Bitter Pill. I walked in the rain to buy this the day it came out.)
Soundgarden - badmotorfinger, superunknown
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

ben

I have to also mention Deerhunter's Cryptograms. 

raynor

Quote from: raynor on Oct 08, 2009, 10:32 PM
I tried doing this by year, but it was hella hard, but it's in chronological order though. These lists are always fun!

White Pony and the rest of the Deftones albums
The Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn ---- / ---- The Mars Volta - De-Loused By the Comatorium (which of course made me check out ATD-I)
Why? - Elephant Eyelash
The Sound of Animals Fighting - The Ocean and The Sun ----/---- Tera Melos - Drugs to the Dear Youth

Havn't really been hyped about anthing the last year, you know that kinda album that blows you away. Maybe Japandroids. I'm always a year behind though.
I'm adding Make Believe - Of Course!

Weird and awesome.

No More Sugar

QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

Urantia23

BillyNo.9

Around the fur for sure. I'd never really listened to anything from Deftones' apart from their music videos on youtube, Around the Fur was their first album I ever bought and I listened to it start to finish for months. I was 13 and feeling all those angsty teenager emotions. At the time I didn't really consider the lyrics, just the music and dynamics of the vocals, still, I'd say this album changed me. I felt like I could actually relate to something even though at that time I hadn't experienced much of what Chino was singing about. The more I listen to it and older I get, the more I can relate to it.

Also Gorillaz debut and Moby - Play.

Visitant

AROUND THE FUR.  My fav. album of all time.  Came out at the perfect time for time for me and spoke to me in ways nearly nothing has since.  I bought it the day it came out and had no idea what it even sounded like.  A few kids suggested it to me cause I was a Korn fan at the time, unfortunately.  I was basically told that Deftones sound like Korn but not as good.  I think we all know how that turned out.  From the songs, the sound and tone of every instrument, the production, the vocals/lyrics... even the cover art and song titles.  It's all very ME and if any album could describe me as a person in every way, it'd be Around the Fur.  I love all kinds of music and many albums and artists changed my life but nothing will ever touch Around the Fur to me.  Ever.

Also, 'Louder Than Bombs' by The Smiths.  Close second.
"I really can't help it.  It's either this or prison."

sing blue silver

Pink Floyd - The Wall

that album alone changed my entire view of music as a kid.

Corleone

Deftones - White Pony
The mars Volta - Deloused
Tool - Aenema
M83 - Saturdays = youth
God is an Astronaut - All is violent all is bright

theis

I can't say that any album has ever changed me, but these albums were pivotal in shaping my musical preferences and expanding my horizons.

Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Mastodon - Blood Mountain (this album basically got me into the more extreme side of metal)
Isis - Panopticon
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Dredg - El Cielo (this holds a special place in my heart. I will never forget the first time i heard it. I'd never heard anything like it before and it simply blew my mind)

lostpilot

Quote from: theis on Mar 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
Dredg - El Cielo (this holds a special place in my heart. I will never forget the first time i heard it. I'd never heard anything like it before and it simply blew my mind)

if only they kept that vibe..