Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Swine flu.

Started by lostpilot, Apr 26, 2009, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zevaka

86 people in mexico died, according to news
crap, one more attack by nature

mr.sinister

86?! Holy shit man, this shit is getting outta hand. Supposedly there is no cure for this type of flu and it can be easily passed on. It has already made its way to San Diego which is about 3 hours from where I live. Pretty scary shit though.

deftonekid

yeah it's getting scary but I still thinking that there's something behind all this

Nailec

reminds me of this flu in 1918

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

i hope u guys dont live in a big city or get a good zombie-plan

Livewire

I got an e-mail from my college today telling students just to take precautions, basically common sense stuff like cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze.

Quote from: Nailec on Apr 28, 2009, 12:48 AM

I feel like a zombie attack is one of the few things in life I would be prepared to handle.  Thank you video games.

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Zevaka on Apr 27, 2009, 10:23 AM
86 people in mexico died, according to news
crap, one more attack by nature

Since when did nature create a flu that is a mix of human, bird, and swine flu...this is all orchestrated.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

deftonekid

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Apr 28, 2009, 02:01 AM
Since when did nature create a flu that is a mix of human, bird, and swine flu...this is all orchestrated.
could be

wither-I

It's either from outter space (via comet). Or it's the man in his chair.

Quote from: Nailec on Apr 28, 2009, 12:48 AM
reminds me of this flu in 1918

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

this one i find interesting because the scenario was pretty unbelievable, -where the virus hit simultaneously, and within days from each other, in city's very far and across ocean expanses from one another. and in big cities maximizing the body toll. the comets dissipate in the upper echelons of our atmophere where only birds can fly. and these birds ingest the molecular bodies of the cosmic virus and bring them to earth in migratory patterns, thus displacing the flu into rodents such as rats, or other scavenger mammals  (pigs) which would feed from bird droppings or interact with one another in the wild, or simply having birds touch down on the ground, breathing the same air as us, and infecting us within simple spacial interactions.

*also notice; same as the spanish flu, this flu virus has been reported to infect young healthy adults, rather than the normal children and elderly, who have weakened or not fully evolved/formed immunities/immune systems.
-this could point to purposeful infection, by military/government research etc, etc

"coming into the nearness of distance"

emotivelotion

c'mon the simply and ordinary flu is already a pandemic, now we just oughta get used to live with this one, in my thoughts, it is all about an eerie government's plan, just after the nukka president visited here (which is ridiculously obvious) this happened,  they gonna say that it all was caused by terrorists who were chasing the poor chocolate bar from white house,  making some treaties they become heroes and save the fucking world like in every hollyshitewood's movie, whatsover mx licks us's ass (nothing new, really), the backyard gets a fancy new security system to fuck up all immigrants that attempt to come across through beanerland following the cookout sausage's dream (*winky* goldpony -local joke-).

not taking party of this shit, the media isnt telling you the whole thing, just read some professor  from the national university, he said that the administration wasnt prepared for something like this, and then at least on saturday the real numbers were about 150/200 dead pplz, but no even cuz of the illness itself, more like  complications related to this variant of flu, you know, people already sick haha, thats when i start to worry, cuz i feel sick right here! jajaja

remember people, fear is the virus they use to divide us! they're just playing with their actual hand of illuminati card game :),  dont think you're safe living in free-land, they wil throw you out when you're no longer usefull, so think variables the only that helps the system even when he wastes their broadband on posting SHIT in forums hahaha

Variable

I didn't get that last sentence at all.  Please explain so that I know if I should be mad at you, or laugh.

And wither, whys it got to be the military up to no good?  We just run around practicing how to defend the country over seas or kill pirates or help a new American Corporation impoverish another country.  But we don't go spreading lame ass viruses and ruin the news for everyone. 

and Mr. Sinister, yes there is a treatment for this flu.  You use the exact same anti virals that you use for every other flu.  Its all good, just go to the DR. if you have flu like symptoms, but put a mask on first.

So I still think this whole thing is lame as fuck.  I had TWO fucking briefings on this shit today and how to identify it and how to take samples from patients that might have it.  But apparently one marine from 29 palms actually had a lab confirmed case today.  GREAT, now this is all I'm going to hear about tomorrow ::)

wither-I

high-up military research. the kind the military doesn't know about ;)

"coming into the nearness of distance"

bright lights, big city

i definitely have everything planned out for this zombie apocalypse. just waiting for it to happen.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Corleone

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 28, 2009, 08:23 AM
i definitely have everything planned out for this zombie apocalypse. just waiting for it to happen.

lol operation zombie is in full effect.. im just more scared of the guinee bears.

anyways, kill the pigs... problem solved

Variable

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 28, 2009, 07:32 AM
high-up military research. the kind the military doesn't know about ;)
ohhh.  Now I get it!

Nailec

if i get this flu i will take some arsenic, climb on a high church and shoot myself in the head to fall down. just to get sure. i dont wanna die from such a banal thing like flue.

deftonekid

Quote from: Nailec on Apr 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
if i get this flu i will take some arsenic, climb on a high church and shoot myself in the head to fall down. just to get sure. i dont wanna die from such a banal thing like flue.
haha yeah die from a flu is such a ridiculous way to die.

Livewire

I was talking to somebody today whos roommate works at the CDC and said that the CDC wasnt too worried about it.

Jerry_Curls

Surprise surprise:http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/panflu/news/jan1404hybrids.html
CDC to mix avian, human flu viruses in pandemic study

Robert Roos * News Editor

Jan 14, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – One of the worst fears of infectious disease experts is that the H5N1 avian influenza virus now circulating in parts of Asia will combine with a human-adapted flu virus to create a deadly new flu virus that could spread around the world.

That could happen, scientists predict, if someone who is already infected with an ordinary flu virus contracts the avian virus at the same time. The avian virus has already caused at least 48 confirmed human illness cases in Asia, of which 35 have been fatal. The virus has shown little ability to spread from person to person, but the fear is that a hybrid could combine the killing power of the avian virus with the transmissibility of human flu viruses.

Now, rather than waiting to see if nature spawns such a hybrid, US scientists are planning to try to breed one themselves—in the name of preparedness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will soon launch experiments designed to combine the H5N1 virus and human flu viruses and then see how the resulting hybrids affect animals. The goal is to assess the chances that such a "reassortant" virus will emerge and how dangerous it might be.

CDC officials confirmed the plans for the research as described recently in media reports, particularly in a Canadian Press (CP) story.

Two ways to make hybrids
The plans call for trying two methods to create hybrid viruses, CDC spokesman David Daigle told CIDRAP News via e-mail. One is to infect cells in a laboratory tissue culture with H5N1 and human flu viruses at the same time and then watch to see if they mix. For the human virus, investigators will use A (H3N2), the strain that has caused most human flu cases in recent years, according to the CP report.

The other method is reverse genetics—assembling a new virus with sets of genes from the H5N1 and H3N2 viruses. Reverse genetics has already been used to create H5N1 candidate vaccines in several laboratories, according to Daigle. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) said recently it would soon launch a clinical trial of one of those vaccines.

Of the two methods, the co-infection approach was described as slower and more laborious, though closer to what happens in nature.

Any viable viruses that emerge from these processes will be seeded into animals that are considered good models for testing how flu viruses behave in humans, according to Daigle. The aim will be to observe whether the animals get sick and whether infected animals can infect others.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has been "pleading" for laboratories to do this research, because it could provide some evidence to back up the agency's warnings about the risk of a flu pandemic, according to the CP report.

Klaus Stohr, head of the WHO's global influenza program, was quoted as saying that if none of the hybrids caused disease, the agency might be inclined to dial down its level of concern. But if the experiments produce highly transmissible and pathogenic viruses, the agency will be more worried, he said.

Safety precautions
Because of the obvious risks in creating viruses with the potential to spark a pandemic, the work will be done in a biosafety level 3 (BSL-3) laboratory at the CDC in Atlanta, Daigle told CIDRAP News.

"We recognize that there is concern by some over this type of work. This concern may be heightened by reports of recent lab exposures in other lab facilities," he said. "But CDC has an incredible record in lab safety and is taking very strict precautions."

Daigle said the US Department of Agriculture requires that highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) viruses be treated as "Select Agents" and that research on them must be done in BSL-3 labs with "enhancements." These include "special provisions to protect both laboratory workers and the environment."

BSL-3 is the second highest level of laboratory biosecurity. It is used for work with pathogens that may cause serious or potentially lethal disease if inhaled, such as tuberculosis or St. Louis encephalitis, according to the CDC.

CDC experiments with HPAI viruses have to pass reviews by the agency's Institutional Biosafety Committee and Animal Care and Use Committee, Daigle said. The facilities involved are inspected by the USDA and the CDC's Office of Safety and Health, and staff members who work with Select Agents require special clearance.

It's been done before
The upcoming experiments will not break entirely new ground for the CDC, the CP story revealed. The agency already has made hybrid viruses with H5N1 samples isolated from patients in Hong Kong in 1997, when the virus first caused human disease.

The results of that research have not yet been published, and the CDC has said little about them. In the CP report, Dr. Nancy Cox, head of the CDC's influenza branch, commented only, "Some gene combinations could be produced and others could not."

Daigle added little to that. He said, "The reassortment work with the 1997 isolate was intermittently interrupted with SARS [severe acute respiratory syndrome] and then the 2004 H5N1 outbreak. We are currently concentrating our efforts on understanding the pathogenicity of the 2004 strains (non-reassortants) in mammalian models."

He said the CDC hopes to prepare a report on that research "in the near future."
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 28, 2009, 08:23 AM

I'm right there with you!

And this shit is fucking funny.  We had a guy come back from vacation in Mexico who was hospitalized with the flu.  Now the papers are eating it up and the city is freaking out.  They released him and said the symptoms weren't the same, but people are attacking the hospital for letting him go and reacting like morons.  Wtf is wrong with people?  Like there aren't enough things to spaz out about already.

Nailec

it just prooves how much our moral achievements are really worth in such situations